Re: [FullCircleSacramento] Re: Next Meeting of Full Circle Sac is June 30 4 to 6 p.m.

  • Nancy Becker
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 27, 2013
      Dang it. I will be out of town. **insert frowny face

      Sent from my iPhone because I can

      On Jun 26, 2013, at 4:04 PM, "babyvierow" <babyvierow@...> wrote:

      Hey Y'all!
      I'm planning on being there this time. Finally figured out which bus will take me close enough to Carmichael library on Sundays. Looking forward to the discussion. Great questions, Ralph! C u Sunday.
      Rebekah

      --- In FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Montano <remontano@...> wrote:

      > We are reading Prologue and Book 1 (Chapters 1 to 12)
      > I've started discussion questions
      > 1. According to the Prologue, The Lord of the Rings is set on OUR world a long time ago. Most people don't think of it that way. They think it's on another planet or plane of existence. Why did JRRT set his story on Earth?
      >
      > 2. "In a hole, there lived a hobbit." And from these words scratched on a paper he was grading, JRRT began his journey. Who are the real hobbits in our world and what does it mean to be a hobbit?
      >
      > 3. The Lord of the Rings is actually made up of six books. Two were collected in each volume of what we now think of as the "trilogy". But JRRT wrote it in six books and each book has themes. Can you think of a theme for Book One (Chapters 1 to 12 of The Fellowship of the Ring)?
      >
      > 4. The relationship between the four hobbits is very different at the beginning of the book. Who do you think is Frodo's best friend at the beginning? Who does he seem to know the least?
      >
      > 5. In Chapter II, Shadows of the Past, JRRT skips over 20 years in the span of two pages. When was the last time you saw a modern fantasy writer skip over 20 years in two pages? When was the last time you saw a modern fantasy writer skip over a month or a week? Why is that?
      >
      > 6. In Chapter VI, The Old Forest we see once again that among the trees is not the place to be. Every forest in Middle Earth is very dangerous (Mirkwood, The Old Forest, Fangorn). Why do you think that is?
      >
      > 7. Who is Tom Bombadil? Frodo asks twice and doesn't really get a straight answer. What do you think.
      >
      > 8. Let's play What If? The Lord of the Rings version. It works like this, I pose a what if question and you answer it to the end of the story. Ready? What if Frodo gave Tom Bombadil the One Ring? And …go!

    • Vicki Richards
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 28, 2013
        Hi Tolkien fans,
        I look forward to seeing all of you on Sunday.  It has been a pleasure to reread The Lord of The Rings and am ready to discuss based on Ralph's questions.

        Vicki

        Hello everyone! I hope that you are still planning to join us at the next meeting of Full Circle Sacramento.
        We certainly have a lot to talk about. The first half of the Fellowship of the Ring is quite a book with a lot to discuss.
        I've including again my discussion questions. Feel free to bring others.
        I have one I'd like to add:
        So I've been writing a blog where I read The Fellowship of the Ring to my seven year old daughter.
        Where should I post this blog? You suggestions are welcome at the next meeting!
        See you there!
        Ralph
        On May 11, 2013, at 3:37 PM, Ralph Montano <remontano@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Ralph Montano
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 25, 2013

          Questions for Full Circle Sacramento

          Fellowship of the Rings part 2

          1. The Council of Elrond is my favorite chapter of the book, maybe the series. Yet I’ve learned that it is the “make it or break it” section of the series. I’ve spoken to several people over the years that have told me the got to this chapter and quit. Left Tolkien’s work never to return. How do you feel about The Council of Elrond?
          2. The Ring Goes South is another great opportunity to play “What if?”.In this chapter it is revealed the Elrond is leaning towards rounding out the fellowship with a couple more elves before Merry and Pippin pipe up (with surprising support from Gandalf). The thought of two more elves in the fellowship sends my mind reeling. And not just any elves. Look who is present at this council meeting. None other than Glorfindel. Glorfindel is a card-carrying bad-ass in Middle Earth. He helped rout Angmar in a previous age. He claimed earlier he can take out half of the Nazgul single-handed, and then does it at the ford. What if two more elves were in the Fellowship instead of Merry and Pippin. Carry that through to the end of the serieWhat other choices could have been made for the Fellowship and where would they have led.
          3. In chapter 5, A Journey in the Dark we see the tactical power of the Fellowship when they make quick work of an attack by wargs. This is quite a contrast to the dwarves in The Hobbit which were chased by a similar enemy and fled to the trees. So here’s another What if game? What if the Fellowship had gone toe to toe against the Orcs of the White Hand? Even without Gandalf would they have won? What would have become of the direction they took then and what impact on Gondor?
          4. I’ve always found Galadriel to be one of the most frighteningly power entities in the book because of the end of this chapter. It is one of the most powerful scenes in the book and one that Peter Jackson did amazingly well in the movie.
          5. There is a lot of magic power thrown around in the second half of the Fellowship of the Ring. Faramir and Boromir are drawn to Rivendell by magical dreams. Gandalf and the Balrog engagen a magical battle of spells and counter spells before their face-off at the bridge. And Galadriel can read minds and tell fortunes. Even Aragorn seems to have some magical abilities described here and there. So magic isn’t all in the wizards of Middle Earth. What do you think of the magic as found in Middle Earth?
          6. The chapter Farewell to Lorien is my least favorite of all the series I think. Why? Because it really is the longest goodbye! First is the boats. Then sing them a song. Next a meal. Then some advice that is really not advice at all. And then a parting drink. And then, (finally!) parting gifts. Let’s talk about your least favorite chapter of the series (if you have one)