FW: Weekly digest for May 13, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , May 15 6:03 PM
      passing this along...Randee

      Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 08:09:02 +0000
      To: rand49@...
      From: donotreply@...
      Subject: Weekly digest for May 13, 2013

      WordPress.com
      MrCere posted: "Sometimes TheOneRing is viewed as a movie-only website and that just isn't true. While we don't write as much in-house material as we once did in our Green Books section (which is full of gold and mithril and worth mining) we still try to represent as muc"

      New post on Hobbit Movie News and Rumors | TheOneRing.net™

      3rd Conference on Middle-earth gets a Part 2, calls for papers

      by MrCere

      Art by J.R.R. Tolkien for "The Hobbit"

      Art by J.R.R. Tolkien for "The Hobbit"

      Sometimes TheOneRing is viewed as a movie-only website and that just isn't true. While we don't write as much in-house material as we once did in our Green Books section (which is full of gold and mithril and worth mining) we still try to represent as much of the wide and far ranging J.R.R. Tolkien fandom as possible with our all-volunteet staff.

      So it is a real pleasure to help publicize events like the 3rd Conference on Middle-earth and its Part 2 scheduled for 2014 in Westford, MA. The word is getting out now to declare that the conference is currently accepting papers. Below is the full press release with links, some of which show how many decades back the event reaches:

      The 3rd Conference On Middle-earth, Part 2, to be held March 28 – 30, 2014
      JRR Tolkienin Westford, MA, USA, is currently soliciting papers, presentations, paper proposals, and panel proposals from persons with scholarly interest in any aspect of the worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien.

      Suggested topics are: J.R.R. Tolkien’s works, influences on Tolkien, other works based on Tolkien’s writing, criticism, teaching Tolkien in the classroom, the books' impact on oneself and/or the world, the films and the film industry, the music, the art, the fannish side of this universe and its impact, and anything you can imagine on topic. For examples of previous papers and panels, see the programming for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd conferences: 1st Conference, 2nd Conference, and 3rd Conference.

      A few areas of interest are:
      • The languages of Middle Earth: how Old English (including Anglo-Saxon riddles), the Eddas, etc. influenced TLOTR.
      • Elements of northern European myths that appear in TLOTR.
      • The impact of World War I on Tolkien and his writing.
      • The impact of The Hobbit and TLOTR on 1960s and 1970s popular music.
      • Artistic visions of Middle-earth.
      • The astronomy of Middle-earth. [For example, when is Durin's Day?]
      • The geography of Middle-earth.
      • The geology of Middle-earth.
      • The flora and fauna of Middle-earth.
      • The clothing of Middle-earth both from the books and the films.
      • The food of Middle-earth.
      • The poetry and songs of Middle-earth.

      Tolkien sitting under his favourite tree Pinus nigraOnly members of the 3rd Conference On Middle Earth, Part 2, will be able to present and participate. Once papers and proposals have been accepted, the presenter/panelist will need to join the conference (the sooner the better, before rates go up), if they are not already members. If an author cannot be present, then arrangements can be made for a third party to read the paper. However, as indicated, the authors must be members of The 3rd Conference On Middle-earth, Part 2.

      Paper Proposal: Please email a 250-word abstract including the presentation title, your name, e-mail address, your mailing address and phone number, or alternately a second e-mail address. The maximum reading time for the finished paper is 30 minutes, roughly 2000 words, though it may be less. We will confirm receipt of proposal by e-mail.

      Panel Proposal: Please email the panel name and a 250-word abstract. Please include the panel title, the panel chair (who may be one of the presenters), e-mail address, the mailing address and phone number, or alternately a second e-mail address of each presenter. The receipt of proposal will be confirmed by e-mail.

      Submit your proposal to: programming@....

      Deadline for Submissions: You may submit a proposal up through Tuesday, 31 December 2013. Participation is limited, so submissions may close early—so it’s best to get a proposal in sooner rather than later.

      NOTE: Confirmation of receipt of submissions does not guarantee acceptance for presentation.

      Check out http://www.3rdcome.org for more information on the conference.

      Comment   See all comments

      http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/05/13/71603-3rd-conference-on-middle-earth-gets-a-part-2-calls-for-papers/

      grammaboodawg posted: "Normal 0false false falseEN-US X-NONE X-NONE/* Style Definitions */ "

      New post on Hobbit Movie News and Rumors | TheOneRing.net™

      TORN Message Boards Weekly Roundup – May 12, 2013

      by grammaboodawg

      Normal
      0

      false
      false
      false

      EN-US
      X-NONE
      X-NONE

      /* Style Definitions */
      table.MsoNormalTable
      {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
      mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
      mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
      mso-style-noshow:yes;
      mso-style-priority:99;
      mso-style-qformat:yes;
      mso-style-parent:"";
      mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
      mso-para-margin:0in;
      mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
      font-size:11.0pt;
      font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
      mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
      mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
      mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
      mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
      mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
      mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
      mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
      mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

      Hobbit Banner Bilbo

      Welcome to our collection of TORn's hottest topics for the past week. If you've fallen behind on what's happening on the Message Boards, here's a great way to catch the highlights. Or if you're new to TORn and want to enjoy some great conversations, just follow the links to some of our most popular discussions. Watch this space as every weekend we will spotlight the most popular buzz on TORn's Message Boards. Everyone is welcome, so come on in and join in the fun!
      Read more of this post

      Comment   See all comments

      http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/05/12/71587-torn-message-boards-weekly-roundup-may-12-2013/

      elessar posted: "The next great replica from our friends at United Cutlery is the Sword of Kili. This very detailed replica comes in at 28 3/8" in total length, with a high quality steel blade. The sword will come to you aged and made to look as if it was used by Kili as "

      New post on Hobbit Movie News and Rumors | TheOneRing.net™

      Collecting The Precious – United Cutlery’s The Sword of Kili

      by elessar

      UC2952 on PlaqueThe next great replica from our friends at United Cutlery is the Sword of Kili. This very detailed replica comes in at 28 3/8" in total length, with a high quality steel blade. The sword will come to you aged and made to look as if it was used by Kili as we've seen him so far in The Hobbit Trilogy. Like all the swords you can get from United Cutlery, this one also comes with a wall mount to make displaying this prop replica easy. You can get this sword from BudK for $150 for now, though this amazing item is on backorder.

      elessar | May 11, 2013 at 7:42 pm | Categories: Collectibles, Hobbit Book, Hobbit Movie, Merchandise, Shop, The Hobbit | URL: http://wp.me/p1tLoH-iCh
      Comment   See all comments

      http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/05/11/71565-collecting-the-precious-united-cutlerys-the-sword-of-kili/

      Demosthenes posted: " It resides mostly in Appendix A of Lord of the Rings, yet the story it tells reveals key parts of Aragorn's character in The Lord of the Rings.It is, of course, The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen -- the Hall of Fire topic for later today.'For a moment Ara"

      New post on Hobbit Movie News and Rumors | TheOneRing.net™

      Hall of Fire chat today: The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen

      by Demosthenes

      Barliman's Chat It resides mostly in Appendix A of Lord of the Rings, yet the story it tells reveals key parts of Aragorn's character in The Lord of the Rings.

      It is, of course, The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen -- the Hall of Fire topic for later today.

      'For a moment Aragorn gazed in silence, but fearing that she would pass away and never be seen again, he called to her crying, Tinúviel, Tinúviel! even as Beren had done in the Elder Days long ago.

      Then the maiden turned to him and smiled, and she said: "Who are you? And why do you call the by that name?" Read more of this post

      Demosthenes | May 11, 2013 at 10:14 am | Tags: Aragorn, Arwen | Categories: Barliman News, Barlimans, Hall of Fire | URL: http://wp.me/p1tLoH-iCd
      Comment   See all comments

      http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/05/11/71561-hall-of-fire-chat-today-the-tale-of-aragorn-and-arwen/

      Demosthenes posted: " Last night I stumbled on this very clever post on TheOneRing.net's boards. In it, user Skaan suggested that the promotional picture of Bilbo sprawled atop Smaug's hoard could offer a guide to the size of Jackson's version of Smaug (the Magnificent).Ho"

      New post on Hobbit Movie News and Rumors | TheOneRing.net™

      Analysis: just how big is Jackson’s Smaug?

      by Demosthenes

      Bilbo set against Smaug by Ringer Skaan.

      Bilbo set against Smaug by Ringer Skaan.

      Last night I stumbled on this very clever post on TheOneRing.net's boards. In it, user Skaan suggested that the promotional picture of Bilbo sprawled atop Smaug's hoard could offer a guide to the size of Jackson's version of Smaug (the Magnificent).

      How?

      Well, we also saw Smaug's head buried in that selfsame pile. So the size of the coins gives us a basis for comparison. Read more of this post

      Comment   See all comments

      http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/05/11/71530-analysis-just-how-big-is-jacksons-smaug/