Re: How was the first meeting?

  • Rebekah Vierow
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 12, 2013
      Hello Fellow Tolkien Enthusiasts,

         I had the same questions that Stephenee asked. I apologize that I did not respond to the earlier emails as to whether I would be attending or not. I was injured on Saturday and just not up to attending.
         Looking forward to May's discussion group. I am somewhat tech savvy but do NOT know how to access SacGeeks either. Ralph, could you email the instructions for the next discussion group in May please? Thank you!
      Be in touch,
      Rebekah V.
    • Ralph Montano
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 12, 2013
        Hello all.
        Here are some notes I wrote down after our meeting. It is by no means a transcript and some parts, I didn't think of until later. But, feel free to add your two shiny pennies. Our next meeting will not be at the library. We will be at the Coffee Garden on Franklin Blvd at 2 p.m. Sunday, April 14.
        The topic will once again be The Hobbit. This time, more discussion focused on film vs. start of the book and predictions on where we think the films are headed. So please join us. In May, we will be back at the library meeting room at the time that has already been set.

        Without further ado, my notes:
        Notes from first Tolkien Meeting
        Six and one half in attendance (the half being my seven year-old daughter).
        We wandered far and wide in our discussion, but did manage to have a great discussion and covered all of the discussion questions, which I will highlight here.
        1. It was generally felt that Tolkien was a product of his time and environment which lacked female role models. Thus, his work lacked female characters. Those females that do show up in the Lord of the Rings are well-developed and compelling. So there is no doubt that he was capable of writing them.
        2. We discussed how Tolkien wanted to go back and rewrite The Hobbit to have it better serve as a prequel to the Lord of the Rings. We read a passage from Appendix 1 in which Gandalf fears that Smaug could be turned into an agent of The Enemy were discussed and thus his support of Thorin’s quest. We then talked about the different tones of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Many in the room have read Lord of the Rings numerous times and The Hobbit only a few times because of it's  juvenile style of writing. A couple of people (myself included) pointed out that The Hobbit is a grand experience if you read it out loud to children. It is more difficult to do this with the Lord of the Rings. One thing that is consistent throughout both books is Tolkien descriptions of the landscapes. In both works he really makes you feel he’s describing a real location.
        3. There is something timeless about Tolkien. It is writing that intentionally seems dated in one sense. It brings to mind epic poems and great myths of old. So that part never gets old. Tolkien’s lines on industrialization of society are still current.
        4. I did not entirely agree with the phrasing of this question. It says the elves are always good, yet they were not so in The Hobbit at all. They were mean to the dwarfs and threw them in prison with little to no cause for doing so. I tried to argue that the goblins were not necessarily evil, they were just protecting themselves and their territory at the beginning. But a quick re-reading of the encounter proved that they were just pretending to be the wronged party. They were all for capturing the party, eating their ponies and doing away with them fro the beginning. There was a discussion on goblins vs. orcs. Ultimately we figured out that goblins and orcs are actually subsets of the same race.
        5. Because of Tolkien, you can walk into a bookstore today, go to a fantasy section (ok so it’s fantasy and science fiction section) and pull out a dozen different books with dwarves and elves (and halflings) on the cover doing battle against a great evil. Sure dwarves and elves existed before Tolkien, but he is the one that combined the races in this concept. I know of many people who have been reading novels about elves and dwarves for a decade and have never read Tolkien. It is a concept so familiar now it can be considered cliche and there are now writers taking the cliche and turning it on its ear (Tad Williams).

      • babyvierow
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 14, 2013
          --- In FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com, "stepheneeborelli@..." <stepheneeborelli@...> wrote:

          > Who went? Did the discussion flow? Did you like the Carmichael meeting room?

          Vicki, I just saw your email about meeting in April @ Coffee Garden on the 14th @ 2pm. Is that shop on 2904 Franklin Blvd?

          And Ralph, will we have discussion questions? Which chapters should we read in The Hobbit to be prepared?

          Please let me know.. thanks.

          Rebekah
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 14, 2013

            Hi ...Unfortunately I am unable to attend today's meeting. I am waiting for the City Sewer Dept. to dig up my sewer pipe to find a clog. I was really looking forward to our second discussion, but this is an urgent problem that takes precedent!
            C U next month.  Randee

            To: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com
            From: remontano@...
            Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 21:22:19 -0700
            Subject: [FullCircleSacramento] Re: How was the first meeting?

            Hello all.
            Here are some notes I wrote down after our meeting. It is by no means a transcript and some parts, I didn't think of until later. But, feel free to add your two shiny pennies. Our next meeting will not be at the library. We will be at the Coffee Garden on Franklin Blvd at 2 p.m. Sunday, April 14.
            The topic will once again be The Hobbit. This time, more discussion focused on film vs. start of the book and predictions on where we think the films are headed. So please join us. In May, we will be back at the library meeting room at the time that has already been set.

          • Nancy
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 14, 2013
              Ugh! My husband double booked me and I cannot be there! Please, please, someone take some notes?
              Sorry to hear about your troubles, Randee. Hopefully the problem is all on their side and, while inconvenient, not expensive for you!

              Sent from my iPhone because I can

              To: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com
              From: remontano@...
              Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 21:22:19 -0700

              Hello all.
              Here are some notes I wrote down after our meeting. It is by no means a transcript and some parts, I didn't think of until later. But, feel free to add your two shiny pennies. Our next meeting will not be at the library. We will be at the Coffee Garden on Franklin Blvd at 2 p.m. Sunday, April 14.
              The topic will once again be The Hobbit. This time, more discussion focused on film vs. start of the book and predictions on where we think the films are headed. So please join us. In May, we will be back at the library meeting room at the time that has already been set.

            • Jeff Mischkinsky
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 14, 2013
                hi,
                Sorry I forgot to send this before, but we won't be able to attend today (in 30 minutes) because we are in Barcelona and our transporter has broken down. :-)
                Hopefully we can make the next one.

                cheers,
                deana and jeff

                On Apr 14, 2013, at 1:35 PM, Nancy wrote:

                > Ugh! My husband double booked me and I cannot be there! Please, please, someone take some notes?
                > Sorry to hear about your troubles, Randee. Hopefully the problem is all on their side and, while inconvenient, not expensive for you!
                >
                > Sent from my iPhone because I can
                >
                > On Apr 14, 2013, at 12:13 PM, Randee Tavarez <rand49@...> wrote:
                >

                > Hi ...Unfortunately I am unable to attend today's meeting. I am waiting for the City Sewer Dept. to dig up my sewer pipe to find a clog. I was really looking forward to our second discussion, but this is an urgent problem that takes precedent!
                > C U next month. Randee
                >

                > To: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com
                > From: remontano@...
                > Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 21:22:19 -0700
                > Subject: [FullCircleSacramento] Re: How was the first meeting?
                >

                > Hello all.
                > Here are some notes I wrote down after our meeting. It is by no means a transcript and some parts, I didn't think of until later. But, feel free to add your two shiny pennies. Our next meeting will not be at the library. We will be at the Coffee Garden on Franklin Blvd at 2 p.m. Sunday, April 14.
                > The topic will once again be The Hobbit. This time, more discussion focused on film vs. start of the book and predictions on where we think the films are headed. So please join us. In May, we will be back at the library meeting room at the time that has already been set.

                ---
                Jeff Mischkinsky
                jmischki@... +1 530-758-9850
                jeff.mischkinsky@... +1 650-506-1975
              • Vicki Richards
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 16, 2013
                  deana and jeff,
                  Sorry you couldn't be here.  Barcelona is beautiful.  Did you make it to the Sagruda Familia?  I understand it is much completed.  Look forward to hearing about your trip.
                  Vicki

                    Sorry I forgot to send this before, but we won't be able to attend today (in 30 minutes) because we are in Barcelona and our transporter has broken down. :-)
                    Hopefully we can make the next one.

                        cheers,
                        deana and jeff

                  On Apr 14, 2013, at 1:35 PM, Nancy wrote:

                  > Ugh! My husband double booked me and I cannot be there! Please, please, someone take some notes?
                  > Sorry to hear about your troubles, Randee. Hopefully the problem is all on their side and, while inconvenient, not expensive for you!
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone because I can
                  >
                  > On Apr 14, 2013, at 12:13 PM, Randee Tavarez <rand49@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > Hi ...Unfortunately I am unable to attend today's meeting. I am waiting for the City Sewer Dept. to dig up my sewer pipe to find a clog. I was really looking forward to our second discussion, but this is an urgent problem that takes precedent!
                  > C U next month.  Randee
                  >

                  > To: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: remontano@...
                  > Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 21:22:19 -0700
                  > Subject: [FullCircleSacramento] Re: How was the first meeting?
                  >

                  > Hello all.
                  > Here are some notes I wrote down after our meeting. It is by no means a transcript and some parts, I didn't think of until later. But, feel free to add your two shiny pennies. Our next meeting will not be at the library. We will be at the Coffee Garden on Franklin Blvd at 2 p.m. Sunday, April 14.
                  > The topic will once again be The Hobbit. This time, more discussion focused on film vs. start of the book and predictions on where we think the films are headed. So please join us. In May, we will be back at the library meeting room at the time that has already been set.

                  ---
                  Jeff Mischkinsky
                  jmischki@...      +1 530-758-9850
                  jeff.mischkinsky@...  +1 650-506-1975