Re: [FullCircleSacramento] How was the first meeting?

  • Jeff Mischkinsky
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 11 9:02 AM
      hi,
      I was there (Jeff Mischkinsky aka Lanthir Brandybuck -- or is it the other way 'round? :-) )
      The discussion was lively and interesting (tho not long enough !!!).

      I think it was a good start.

      cheers,
      jeff
      On Mar 10, 2013, at 11:19 PM, Randee Tavarez wrote:

      > Hi Stephanie There were six people in attendance, counting me. Sorry I can only remember Ralph and Vicki's names!
      > So far we all got along just fine Discussion got off of The Hobbit and onto LOR, the Simarillians and Tokien himself. All interesting!
      > Carmichael location fine with all there for May meeting.
      > Randee
      >

      > To: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com
      > From: stepheneeborelli@...
      > Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 05:52:11 +0000
      > Subject: [FullCircleSacramento] How was the first meeting?
      >

      > Who went? Did the discussion flow? Did you like the Carmichael meeting room?

      ---
      Jeff Mischkinsky
      jmischki@... +1 530-758-9850
    • Nancy Becker
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 11 9:11 AM
        I went and enjoyed it. I'm not much for large groups, so this was perfect for me. Looking forward to next meeting.

        Who went? Did the discussion flow? Did you like the Carmichael meeting room?

      • Vicki Richards
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 11 10:45 AM
          Hi Steph,
          The meeting was great.  There were 6 of us there.  We did decide we need to meet once a month.  The next meeting will be April 14 at 2pm at the Coffee Garden.  We also want to keep the May and June appointments at the library. The room was nice but a little large for such a small group.  Hope to see more joining us although I do agree with Nancy.  If that room had been full it would be overweleming.

          I am already looking forward to the next meeting.
          Vicki

          Who went? Did the discussion flow? Did you like the Carmichael meeting room?

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              FullCircleSacramento-digest@yahoogroups.com
              FullCircleSacramento-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Rebekah Vierow
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 12 6:24 PM
            Hello Fellow Tolkien Enthusiasts,

               I had the same questions that Stephenee asked. I apologize that I did not respond to the earlier emails as to whether I would be attending or not. I was injured on Saturday and just not up to attending.
               Looking forward to May's discussion group. I am somewhat tech savvy but do NOT know how to access SacGeeks either. Ralph, could you email the instructions for the next discussion group in May please? Thank you!
            Be in touch,
            Rebekah V.
          • Ralph Montano
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 12 9:22 PM
              Hello all.
              Here are some notes I wrote down after our meeting. It is by no means a transcript and some parts, I didn't think of until later. But, feel free to add your two shiny pennies. Our next meeting will not be at the library. We will be at the Coffee Garden on Franklin Blvd at 2 p.m. Sunday, April 14.
              The topic will once again be The Hobbit. This time, more discussion focused on film vs. start of the book and predictions on where we think the films are headed. So please join us. In May, we will be back at the library meeting room at the time that has already been set.

              Without further ado, my notes:
              Notes from first Tolkien Meeting
              Six and one half in attendance (the half being my seven year-old daughter).
              We wandered far and wide in our discussion, but did manage to have a great discussion and covered all of the discussion questions, which I will highlight here.
              1. It was generally felt that Tolkien was a product of his time and environment which lacked female role models. Thus, his work lacked female characters. Those females that do show up in the Lord of the Rings are well-developed and compelling. So there is no doubt that he was capable of writing them.
              2. We discussed how Tolkien wanted to go back and rewrite The Hobbit to have it better serve as a prequel to the Lord of the Rings. We read a passage from Appendix 1 in which Gandalf fears that Smaug could be turned into an agent of The Enemy were discussed and thus his support of Thorin’s quest. We then talked about the different tones of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Many in the room have read Lord of the Rings numerous times and The Hobbit only a few times because of it's  juvenile style of writing. A couple of people (myself included) pointed out that The Hobbit is a grand experience if you read it out loud to children. It is more difficult to do this with the Lord of the Rings. One thing that is consistent throughout both books is Tolkien descriptions of the landscapes. In both works he really makes you feel he’s describing a real location.
              3. There is something timeless about Tolkien. It is writing that intentionally seems dated in one sense. It brings to mind epic poems and great myths of old. So that part never gets old. Tolkien’s lines on industrialization of society are still current.
              4. I did not entirely agree with the phrasing of this question. It says the elves are always good, yet they were not so in The Hobbit at all. They were mean to the dwarfs and threw them in prison with little to no cause for doing so. I tried to argue that the goblins were not necessarily evil, they were just protecting themselves and their territory at the beginning. But a quick re-reading of the encounter proved that they were just pretending to be the wronged party. They were all for capturing the party, eating their ponies and doing away with them fro the beginning. There was a discussion on goblins vs. orcs. Ultimately we figured out that goblins and orcs are actually subsets of the same race.
              5. Because of Tolkien, you can walk into a bookstore today, go to a fantasy section (ok so it’s fantasy and science fiction section) and pull out a dozen different books with dwarves and elves (and halflings) on the cover doing battle against a great evil. Sure dwarves and elves existed before Tolkien, but he is the one that combined the races in this concept. I know of many people who have been reading novels about elves and dwarves for a decade and have never read Tolkien. It is a concept so familiar now it can be considered cliche and there are now writers taking the cliche and turning it on its ear (Tad Williams).

            • babyvierow
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 14 8:44 PM
                --- In FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com, "stepheneeborelli@..." <stepheneeborelli@...> wrote:

                > Who went? Did the discussion flow? Did you like the Carmichael meeting room?

                Vicki, I just saw your email about meeting in April @ Coffee Garden on the 14th @ 2pm. Is that shop on 2904 Franklin Blvd?

                And Ralph, will we have discussion questions? Which chapters should we read in The Hobbit to be prepared?

                Please let me know.. thanks.

                Rebekah
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 14, 2013

                  Hi ...Unfortunately I am unable to attend today's meeting. I am waiting for the City Sewer Dept. to dig up my sewer pipe to find a clog. I was really looking forward to our second discussion, but this is an urgent problem that takes precedent!
                  C U next month.  Randee

                  To: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com
                  From: remontano@...
                  Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 21:22:19 -0700
                  Subject: [FullCircleSacramento] Re: How was the first meeting?

                  Hello all.
                  Here are some notes I wrote down after our meeting. It is by no means a transcript and some parts, I didn't think of until later. But, feel free to add your two shiny pennies. Our next meeting will not be at the library. We will be at the Coffee Garden on Franklin Blvd at 2 p.m. Sunday, April 14.
                  The topic will once again be The Hobbit. This time, more discussion focused on film vs. start of the book and predictions on where we think the films are headed. So please join us. In May, we will be back at the library meeting room at the time that has already been set.

                • Nancy
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 14, 2013
                    Ugh! My husband double booked me and I cannot be there! Please, please, someone take some notes?
                    Sorry to hear about your troubles, Randee. Hopefully the problem is all on their side and, while inconvenient, not expensive for you!

                    Sent from my iPhone because I can

                    To: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 14, 2013
                      hi,
                      Sorry I forgot to send this before, but we won't be able to attend today (in 30 minutes) because we are in Barcelona and our transporter has broken down. :-)
                      Hopefully we can make the next one.

                      cheers,
                      deana and jeff

                      On Apr 14, 2013, at 1:35 PM, Nancy wrote:

                      > Ugh! My husband double booked me and I cannot be there! Please, please, someone take some notes?
                      > Sorry to hear about your troubles, Randee. Hopefully the problem is all on their side and, while inconvenient, not expensive for you!
                      >
                      > Sent from my iPhone because I can
                      >
                      > On Apr 14, 2013, at 12:13 PM, Randee Tavarez <rand49@...> wrote:
                      >

                      > Hi ...Unfortunately I am unable to attend today's meeting. I am waiting for the City Sewer Dept. to dig up my sewer pipe to find a clog. I was really looking forward to our second discussion, but this is an urgent problem that takes precedent!
                      > C U next month. Randee
                      >

                      > To: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: remontano@...
                      > Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 21:22:19 -0700
                      > Subject: [FullCircleSacramento] Re: How was the first meeting?
                      >

                      > Hello all.
                      > Here are some notes I wrote down after our meeting. It is by no means a transcript and some parts, I didn't think of until later. But, feel free to add your two shiny pennies. Our next meeting will not be at the library. We will be at the Coffee Garden on Franklin Blvd at 2 p.m. Sunday, April 14.
                      > The topic will once again be The Hobbit. This time, more discussion focused on film vs. start of the book and predictions on where we think the films are headed. So please join us. In May, we will be back at the library meeting room at the time that has already been set.

                      ---
                      Jeff Mischkinsky
                      jmischki@... +1 530-758-9850
                      jeff.mischkinsky@... +1 650-506-1975
                    • Vicki Richards
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 16, 2013
                        deana and jeff,
                        Sorry you couldn't be here.  Barcelona is beautiful.  Did you make it to the Sagruda Familia?  I understand it is much completed.  Look forward to hearing about your trip.
                        Vicki