Full Circle Sacramento at E. McClatchy Library on Aug 16

  • Ralph Montano
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 23, 2014
      Join us between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. on the shady back patio as we discuss three action-packed chapters of The Return of The King!
      They are: The Siege of Gondor, The Ride of the Rohirrim and The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.
      I will come up with some discussion questions between now and then, or feel free to make up some of your own and toss them out!
    • Ralph Montano
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 7, 2014
        I've finished the reading assignment for our next meeting, on August 16. Here are a couple of discussion topics.Feel free to add your own.

        How many elephants did Legolas kill in the actual book, Return of The King? Let us discuss the many, many differences between the Battle for Gondor in the book vs. the same battle in the movie.

        In these three chapters we also see Tolkien depict the horrors of war. I feel some of these images he knew firsthand from his service in WWI. I’d like to discuss some of these and how his characters react to those horrors on the field of battle.

        Next month, we will be putting down the book to play Lord of the Rings Trivial Pursuits! (Start rewatching the movies now, because the trivia question are all about the movies, not the books.)

        October we will finish off the next four chapters of The Return of The King.
        Then, in November and December, it will be time to pick up The Hobbit one last time in anticipation of the final Peter Jackson movie.
        Please plan on joining us!
        Ralph Montano
      • Vicki Richards
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 10, 2014
          In addition to the great topics Ralph has for these 3 chapters, I would like to also address:
          1.  Gandalf's concern for Sauron unleash gloom.  What really triggered it?
          2   Dynamics of Faramir's relationship with his father as seen on p. 795 - 6,  800
          3.  Gandalf v. Denethor

          See all  of you on the 16th at McClatchy Library either upstairs or on the back patio. And as always if you have any other Tolkien topics, please let us know.

          Vicki

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 1, 2014
            Hello everyone,
            Here is a friendly reminder that our next meeting at E. McClatchy Library will take place on Oct. 11th at 2 p.m. in the second floor meeting room. The meeting room is next to the quiet room so we might close the door, but you can come in without knocking! If I think of it, I’ll make something cool to hang on the door for next time.
            Anyhow, the reading assignment for the October meeting is four Chapters from Return of the King, they are by name: The Pyre of Denethor, The Houses of Healing, The Last Debate and The Black Gate Opens.
            Please plan on joining us!
            Ralph Montano

          • Ralph Montano
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 1, 2014
              On Saturday, Sept. 13, we will interrupt our regular book club meeting for a special gathering in early celebration of Bilbo and Frodo’s birthdays. The event will be held at the house of Elaine in Elk Grove from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Instead of reading, we will be playing Trivial Pursuits, the Lord of The Rings movie version. Test you knowledge of Peter Jackson’s films against others!
              This is a potluck event, so bring something to snack on (and let us know here what you are bringing).
              If you don’t have Elaine’s address or phone number you can contact me through this message board and I can make sure to get the information to you.
              It should be a lot of fun!
              Ralph Montano
              remontano”at”sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 1, 2014
                Can I get an idea of what anyone is thinking of bringing? Are you all salad or fruit people?
                Chip N Dip dippers or Pizza peps? I'm thinking of bringing a pizza...unless none of you like that.
                Randee

                > To: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com
                > From: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com
                > Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 17:38:08 -0700
                > Subject: [FullCircleSacramento] Re: Full Circle Sacramento special meeting on Sept. 13
                >
                > On Saturday, Sept. 13, we will interrupt our regular book club meeting for a special gathering in early celebration of Bilbo and Frodo’s birthdays. The event will be held at the house of Elaine in Elk Grove from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Instead of reading, we will be playing Trivial Pursuits, the Lord of The Rings movie version. Test you knowledge of Peter Jackson’s films against others!
                > This is a potluck event, so bring something to snack on (and let us know here what you are bringing).
                > If you don’t have Elaine’s address or phone number you can contact me through this message board and I can make sure to get the information to you.
                > It should be a lot of fun!
                > Ralph Montano
                > remontano”at”sbcglobal.net
                >
                > ------------------------------------
                >
                > ------------------------------------
                >

                > ------------------------------------

              • Vicki Richards
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 2, 2014
                  I am going to bring a fruit plate/bowl, but I definitely wouldn't say no to a pizza.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 2, 2014
                    Thanks for the input...Vicky

                    To: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 2, 2014

                      Bring whatever you like.  I’ll get cheese & crackers and drinks (pepsi , coke (regular & diet), ice tea, water, coffee or any other suggestions.  This should be lots of fun.

                      Elaine

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 3, 2014
                        Well, we are a small group and I don't think you all like sweets as much as I do,
                        which makes me feel cookies would not get eaten if brought. I'm a reg. Pepsi person myself, but I would bring my own.
                        Thanks Elaine.
                        I just watched Two Towers yesterday, so I'm refreshing my memory!

                        Randee Emoji

                      • Nancy Becker

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 3, 2014
                            Here are some proposed discussion items for our next meeting, Saturday Oct. 11 at McClatchy Library. We are reading the last four chapter of Book Five, specifically: The Pyre of Denethor, The Houses of Healing, The Last Debate and The Black Gate Opens.
                            1. Houses of Healing has to have the funniest running joke in the whole book and I never realized it was in there until this reading. It reminds me a lot of a Monty Python skit! Let’s review that and talk about other funny moments from the book or the movies.
                            2. After reading the last two chapters of Book 5, I've decided that Gandalf is a terrible military general. With less than 7,000 men he attacks a gate held by 70,000. The only one who is a worse tactical leader is Sauron. Why from a military standpoint the bad guys could have and should have, won up to this point.
                            3. Another game of What If? What if Pippin doesn't reach Gandalf who instead chases the Witch King into the battle of Pelennor Fields?