Re: June meeting moved to Saturday the 21st 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.

  • Ralph Montano
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 19, 2014
      One last reminder of the meeting this Saturday.

      We are reading the last four chapters of The Two Towers.

      Here are things for discussion:

      1. While climbing the stairs of Cirith Ungol, the hobbits have an interesting conversation about heroes. And they talk about what makes a hero in the epic tales and indeed what sort of heroes they make in this tale. I’d like to explore this conversation!

      2. Also, there are a LOT of references to things in the Silmarillion in these four chapters. I’d also like to talk about the Phial of Galadriel in this context. We are going to talk about them, what they refer to and what they suggest about Tolkien’s creative process.

      3. Shelob’s Lair is probably the most suspenseful chapter of the entire series. Do you realize he doesn’t actually point out she looks like a big spider until the last chapter? I’d like to talk about how Tolkien slowly built this chapter up.

      4. A game of what if. What if Samwise does take off for the Crack of Doom alone and does not turn back to save Frodo? Does he make it? Does Gollum stop him in the end? Does Sauron get the truth out of Frodo before The Ring is destroyed?