June meeting date?

  • Ralph Montano
    Message 1 of 7 , May 14, 2014
      I have sent Debra at McClatchy an email asking if June 21st is available. I will let you know what I hear back from her.
    • Vicki Richards
      Message 2 of 7 , May 15, 2014
        Thanks Ralph.  Hope it is available.  A month without Tolkien is like a month without sunshine.  In the meantime, all of you have a great Memorial Day and good beginning of summer.
        Hope to see everyone on 21st
        Vicki

        On Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:31 PM, "Ralph Montano remontano@... [FullCircleSacramento]" <FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        I have sent Debra at McClatchy an email asking if June 21st is available. I will let you know what I hear back from her.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            FullCircleSacramento-digest@yahoogroups.com
            FullCircleSacramento-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • Ralph Montano
        Message 3 of 7 , May 16, 2014
          Hello everyone,
          Debra has reserved us the 2 p.m. spot on Saturday, June 21st.
          We will be discussing the last four chapters of the Two Towers. I will be sending along some possible discussion questions in the coming weeks!
          Message 4 of 7 , May 16, 2014
            Ka Loo Ka Lay!

            To: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 5, 2014
              Hello everyone,
              Our next meeting is still a few weeks away but I have some ideas for discussion.
              We are reading the last four chapters of The Two Towers and I just finished reading them to my daughter Pippa.
              It was an edge of your seat kind of good time I must say!
              Here is what I have for discussion (feel free to add some of your own):

              1. While climbing the stairs of Cirith Ungol, the hobbits have an interesting conversation about heroes. And they talk about what makes a hero in the epic tales and indeed what sort of heroes they make in this tale. I’d like to explore this conversation!

              2. Also, there are a LOT of references to things in the Silmarillion in these four chapters. I’d also like to talk about the Phial of Galadriel in this context. We are going to talk about them, what they refer to and what they suggest about Tolkien’s creative process.

              3. Shelob’s Lair is probably the most suspenseful chapter of the entire series. Do you realize he doesn’t actually point out she looks like a big spider until the last chapter? I’d like to talk about how Tolkien slowly built this chapter up.

              4. A game of what if. What if Samwise does take off for the Crack of Doom alone and does not turn back to save Frodo? Does he make it? Does Gollum stop him in the end? Does Sauron get the truth out of Frodo before The Ring is destroyed?
            • Vicki Richards

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 19, 2014
                  One last reminder of the meeting this Saturday.

                  We are reading the last four chapters of The Two Towers.

                  Here are things for discussion: