Boromir

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2014

      OK...so I'm sorry I missed the meeting yesterday but how did the discussion about Boromir's 'funeral' go?
      I agree that the trio spent too long taking care of giving Boromir an honorable send off and as Gimli say had given the Uruk-Hai hours of a head start. Ralph stated he didn't quite understand why they spent so much time doing that task when it was so urgent that they go rescue the Hobbits. I think Tolkien wanted to give Boromir an honorable warrior's funeral and not just leave them there like the dead Orcs to be forgotten. That just would not be right. So while it did take time away from rushing off to chase the Uruk-hai, I think , plot wise, they needed to be that far ahead of the trio to have encountered the Rohirrim and for a way for Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli to encounter Eomer.  I don't think the three of them would have been a match for that big a pack of Orcs and Uruk-hai.
      Maybe it's one of those things you're not suppose to think about too  much!
      just my 2 Cents.
      Randee

    • Ralph Montano
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 15, 2014
        We had an interesting and lively discussion on this topic.
        Some people agreed with me that it may have been a device by Tolkien inserted to make the rest of his story work.
        Others were less harsh on Aragorn for his indecision and said Legolas did the wise thing by giving the group a real task to focus on in their grief and indecision.
        But the most interesting thing to me was raised by a new participant, Deana. She pointed out burial may just be a critical part of society in Middle Earth.
        A lightbulb about this comment came to me yesterday. And here it is:
        There are TONS of UNDEAD in Middle Earth.
        Barrow wrights, ghosts and will-o-the-wisps in swamps, an army of dead oath breakers.
        Might that make burial rituals important if not vital in Middle Earth?
        HECK YES!
        The last thing the fellowship would want to do is leave Boromir to wander the area as a ghost. As it was, he kind of became a ghost anyhow and appeared to his brother. But maybe after that he was able to move on to an afterlife, or something.
        Anyhow, thanks Deana!
        Ralph