Next Meeting is Saturday, January 11 at 2 p.m.

  • Ralph Montano
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 24, 2013
      Hello everyone,
      For the next meeting we will be returning to the Lord of the Rings specifically the first three chapters of The Two Towers (by name The Departure of Boromir, The Riders of Rohan and The Uruk-hai).

      I would specifically like to discuss the first chapter because it is a part in the book that I completely do not understand. The fellowship is in tatters. Aragorn knows Merry and Pippin have been captured by orcs, he doesn’t know where Sam or Frodo and the Ring are (yet). And somehow, Legolas convinces him that now is the time to take care of Boromir’s body.

      It just makes no sense to me. Am I reading this wrong?

      Also we can discuss the transformation of Aragorn in the first two chapters.
      I’d also like to discuss how Tolkien shifts from following The Three Hunters to following Merry and Pippin. It is not an easy thing to do.
      And finally, for you movie buffs, I will tell you why I rank the Two Towers as not only the best movie in the trilogy, but I also put it in my personal top 10 movies of all time!
      That should be enough to keep us talking for 90 minutes.
      If there’s anything else, feel free to add it to the list!
    • Nancy Becker
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 24, 2013
        Ralph,
        Looking forward to this. Where is the meeting? (I haven't been in a while.)

        Sent from my iPhone because I can

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 24, 2013
          Nancy, the meetings are now being held at the McClatchy public library between V& U on 22nd St.
          We have a lovely upstairs room reserved. You can always check SacGeeks.com for this group also...I think.
          Randee

          To: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 7, 2014
            Hi Tolkien Club
            It is hard for me to see Aragorn as anything but a leader and a king in the making, but will try to see it from a different perspective as I read through it this time.  I have read it sooo many times and know what is coming to be truly objective.
            See you on Sat.
            Vicki

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 12, 2014

              Hello everyone,

              For the next meeting we will be returning to the Lord of the Rings specifically three chapters of The Two Towers. The names of the chapters are Treebeard, The King of the Golden Hall and Helm’s Deep.
              I will work on coming up with some discussion questions. Feel free to chime in!

              Our meeting will again be at the McClatchy Library, second floor.
              Hope to see you all there!
              Ralph

            • Ralph Montano
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 25, 2014
                Hello everyone,
                Our next meeting is in February so I propose a couple of relationship inspired discussions and one not on that topic.
                1st, from the chapter Treebeard, lets talk about the estranged Ents and Ent Wives. What was the wedge in their relationship? Where might the Ent Wives be now? Will they take their men back?
                2nd, in the Chapter The White Rider, we hear Gandalf’s tale of his fight with the Balrog. When I read it this time I became completely smitten with one of the greatest feats of architecture in all of Middle Earth. The Endless Stair! What are your favorite built things in Middle Earth? This could be kind of a 7 Built Wonders of Middle Earth discussion.
                3rd, In the Chapter Lord of the Golden Hall we meet “the other woman” for Aragorn, Eowyn! I’ve always found Aragorn’s relationship with Arwen to be almost invisible up to this point in the book. But Eowyn’s love hits like a ton of bricks! Let’s talk about their interaction in this chapter.
                Any other topics for discussion are welcome and feel free to post them up here!

                On Jan 12, 2014, at 2:06 PM, Ralph Montano <remontano@...> wrote:

                Hello everyone,

                For the next meeting we will be returning to the Lord of the Rings specifically three chapters of The Two Towers. The names of the chapters are Treebeard, The King of the Golden Hall and Helm’s Deep.
                I will work on coming up with some discussion questions. Feel free to chime in!

                Our meeting will again be at the McClatchy Library, second floor.
                Hope to see you all there!
                Ralph

              • babyvierow
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 8, 2014
                    Hey, Guys.. I was totally planning to come today, rain and ALL!  But I woke up this morning with a wicked headache, probably because of the change in barometric pressure.  Aaah, how frustrating.
                    Wooow.. great discussion questions! I really was looking forward to joining the group this time and talking about them.
                    But I hope you all have a great discussion. Thanks so much for posting the highlights of what was said, Ralph. And I appreciate what you posted, too, Randee.
                    Hope nothing hinders me from joining you next time. Be safe out there on the wet roads.

                  Rebekah

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 8, 2014
                    Hi! You were not the only  not show up for today's meeting, but there were five, so enough that
                    we still had a good discussion.  = ]  Randee

                  • Ralph Montano
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 21, 2014
                      Our next gathering will be on March 8 at McClatchy library on the second floor in the fireplace room.
                      We will be discussing the following chapters of The Two Towers: Book 3 Chapter IX, Flotsam and Jetsam; Chapter X, The Voice of Saruman and Chapter XI, The Palantir.
                      Some discussion questions will follow in the next week or so.
                      Hope to see you all there!
                      Ralph
                    • Ralph Montano
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 27, 2014
                        Hello Everyone,
                        Here are some discussion questions for our next meeting.
                        1. At the very end of Flotsam and Jetsam, Aragorn is wondering as to who could be the spy of Saruman in The Shire. Let’s play Middle Earth Clue! Was it The Gaffer with a pitchfork in the Southfarthing or Fatty with an ale mug at the Green Dragon, or Belladona Took with a spoon at Bag End?
                        2. Was there something else Gandalf could have said to bring Saruman back to the side of good? What would have happened if Saruman had come down, surrendered his staff and rejoined the side of good?
                        3. Palantiri: The greatest tool of the mighty lords of ancient Gondor or just the Middle Earth version of the iphone. Let’s have your opinion!

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 28, 2014
                          Since Saruman had a good supply of Pipeweed, it may have been the person whom he bought it from.
                          Who would that be? I have no idea.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 15, 2014

                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 16, 2014
                              Ralph...you say April 12th in the first sentence then say the first Sat. of the month...whcih is April 5th. Clarify. Thanks! Randee