Re: [FullCircleSacramento] Topic for the First Meeting

  • Jeff Mischkinsky
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 30, 2013
      On Jan 30, 2013, at 11:26 AM, Randee Tavarez wrote:

      > Hi person who didn't give a name at the end of the email..... = ]
      no he put in the front -- in the From:

      > This sound good but might be a bit too much too discus at our first group get together!
      > I have not read the Hobbit for decades, so I would need to go find the book, in the first place.
      > I certainly think you did good a job of thinking of discussion topics.
      > I guess we'll see what others think or want to discuss. I'm totally open.
      >
      > Randee
      >

      > To: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com
      > From: remontano@...
      > Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 04:41:53 +0000
      > Subject: [FullCircleSacramento] Topic for the First Meeting
      >

      > Hello All,
      > I just joined this group. I attended about half of the presentations and I'm enjoying others that are posted online.
      > I'd really like to see this group take off and grow and to that end I'll be contacting some other groups to publicize this first meeting in March.
      > Also to that end, there needs to be some solid discussion on topic and I have a couple of ideas of two topics for discussion. I may even be able to lead the discussions.
      > First Discussion:
      > The Hobbit movie vs. book
      > Reading assignment: 1) The Hobbit Chapters 1 to 6
      > The first six chapters cover most of the action that occurred during the first of the Hobbit movie. We will discuss some of the key points and differences. Also compare the characterizations of certain dwarves to those in the book and certain events.
      > Second Discussion:
      > There But Not Back Again, The Hobbit rewrite that Tolkien never did.
      > Reading Assignment: Lord of the Rings Appendix A, Part III, Durin's Folk
      > After the publication of Lord of the Rings, Tolkien intended to rewrite the Hobbit into a true prequel to the story, but it never happened. We will discuss why not and look at some of what he may have intended to put into the story.
      > This discussion ties in perfectly with the movie discussion because much of the dwarf history covered in the first hour of the Hobbit movie come directly from this Appendix.
      > So tell me what you all think. Feedback welcome.

      ---
      Jeff Mischkinsky
      jmischki@... +1 530-758-9850
      jeff.mischkinsky@... +1 650-506-1975
    • Vicki Richards
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 30, 2013
        Hi all,

        I agree with Steph and Jeff.  Let's start with the Hobbit.  I am coming in from Lincoln so the Carmichael library is a good compromise for me.

        If you want to put together some discussion questions for us that would be great, Steph.  I have also been looking on the internet and there are boatloads of sites that are about Tolkien.  The one that seems most scholarly to me is Tolkiensociety.org  They call groups like ours smials.  This site is located in England.  The other big site is "theonering.net" which seems to be located in New Zealand is mainly about the movies - LOTR and Hobbit.

        Lot to think about and talk about when we get together.

        Vicki

        On Jan 30, 2013, at 11:26 AM, Randee Tavarez wrote:

        > Hi person who didn't give a name at the end of the email..... = ]
        no he put in the front -- in the From:

        > This sound good but might be a bit too much too discus at our first group get together!
        >  I have not read the Hobbit for decades, so I would need to go find the book, in the first place.
        > I certainly think you did good a job of thinking of discussion topics.
        >  I guess we'll see what others think or want to discuss. I'm totally open.
        >
        > Randee
        >

        > To: FullCircleSacramento@yahoogroups.com
        > From: remontano@...
        > Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 04:41:53 +0000
        > Subject: [FullCircleSacramento] Topic for the First Meeting
        >

        > Hello All,
        > I just joined this group. I attended about half of the presentations and I'm enjoying others that are posted online.
        > I'd really like to see this group take off and grow and to that end I'll be contacting some other groups to publicize this first meeting in March.
        > Also to that end, there needs to be some solid discussion on topic and I have a couple of ideas of two topics for discussion. I may even be able to lead the discussions.
        > First Discussion:
        > The Hobbit movie vs. book
        > Reading assignment: 1) The Hobbit Chapters 1 to 6
        > The first six chapters cover most of the action that occurred during the first of the Hobbit movie. We will discuss some of the key points and differences. Also compare the characterizations of certain dwarves to those in the book and certain events.
        > Second Discussion:
        > There But Not Back Again, The Hobbit rewrite that Tolkien never did.
        > Reading Assignment: Lord of the Rings Appendix A, Part III, Durin's Folk
        > After the publication of Lord of the Rings, Tolkien intended to rewrite the Hobbit into a true prequel to the story, but it never happened. We will discuss why not and look at some of what he may have intended to put into the story.
        > This discussion ties in perfectly with the movie discussion because much of the dwarf history covered in the first hour of the Hobbit movie come directly from this Appendix.
        > So tell me what you all think. Feedback welcome.

        ---
        Jeff Mischkinsky
        jmischki@...      +1 530-758-9850
        jeff.mischkinsky@...  +1 650-506-1975

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            FullCircleSacramento-digest@yahoogroups.com
            FullCircleSacramento-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • nancy.becker@att.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 31, 2013
          Great ideas for discussion! I'm in!
          Vicki, you might check out the Virtual Tolkien Study Group at "thronering.com". It was started years ago and has been recently revived. Lots of excellent and informed discussion there. There are also forums there dedicated to just the books as well as movie forums.
          Looking forward to our first meeting.
          See you March 10!

          OB
          p.s.
          I posted this once already, but it seemed to fail. I hope it doesn't turn into a DP. If it does, blame the iPhone. :p