169Re: [FullCircleSacramento] Next meeting April 12 at 2 p.m. McClatchy Library

  • Vicki Richards
    Apr 5, 2014
      Hi Full Circle book club,
      I have been reading the Unfinished Tales and would like to report on what the Black Riders were doing while the Fellowship was being formed and during the breakup of the fellowship.  Sauron was not just sitting around Barad-dur, but was plotting evil.
      Look forward to seeing everyone next week.

      Vicki

      On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 8:31 PM, Ralph Montano <remontano@...> wrote:

      Questions for April Meeting on Book 4: Chapters 1 to 3.
      In Book 4, Tolkien changes his narrative voice and for the first time allows us into the thoughts of a character. That character is Samwise and not Frodo.
      Discussion 1: Why do you think Tolkien wants us in the head of a character and why is that character Samwise?
      A Riddle: Are you familiar the Eagle Express Shortcut to the Lord of the Rings? Readers have been asking why Frodo didn’t hop on the back of a great eagle with the ring and head directly to Mt Doom. Couldn’t he just dunk the ring more easily than an NBA player dunks a basketball and be back home a couple days later?
      Well, I believe the three chapters we just read, may answer why that was not possible. Do you know why?
      Discussion 2: We will hear brief reading reports from members of the group that have been reading other Tolkien writings (Farmer Giles of Ham) and other Tolkien related stuff (The Orgins of Tolkien’s Middle-earth for Dummies.)

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic