148Re: [FullCircleSacramento] Next Meeting is Saturday, January 11 at 2 p.m.

  • Nancy Becker
    Dec 24, 2013
      Looking forward to this. Where is the meeting? (I haven't been in a while.)

      Sent from my iPhone because I can

      On Dec 24, 2013, at 6:20 AM, Ralph Montano <remontano@...> wrote:

      Hello everyone,

      For the next meeting we will be returning to the Lord of the Rings specifically the first three chapters of The Two Towers (by name The Departure of Boromir, The Riders of Rohan and The Uruk-hai).

      I would specifically like to discuss the first chapter because it is a part in the book that I completely do not understand. The fellowship is in tatters. Aragorn knows Merry and Pippin have been captured by orcs, he doesn’t know where Sam or Frodo and the Ring are (yet). And somehow, Legolas convinces him that now is the time to take care of Boromir’s body.

      It just makes no sense to me. Am I reading this wrong?

      Also we can discuss the transformation of Aragorn in the first two chapters.
      I’d also like to discuss how Tolkien shifts from following The Three Hunters to following Merry and Pippin. It is not an easy thing to do.
      And finally, for you movie buffs, I will tell you why I rank the Two Towers as not only the best movie in the trilogy, but I also put it in my personal top 10 movies of all time!
      That should be enough to keep us talking for 90 minutes.
      If there’s anything else, feel free to add it to the list!

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic