1Join now!

  • stepheneeborelli@sbcglobal.net
    Jan 4, 2013
      The Sacramento Public Library's program series, Full Circle: An Exploration of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings has come to a close, but the fun need not end! Join the Full Circle Yahoo Group to keep the momentum going as we form into a lasting Tolkien discussion group.

      Please share your ideas and visions.

      What is our mission?
      When should we meet? Once a month? every two months? Weekends? Weekday nights?
      Where should we meet? Library community rooms (not Central) are free.
      What topics would you like to cover?
      Should we have presentations? Guest speakers? Give our own presentations?
      Should we be a Tolkien book club, or would you like to read other works and relate them to Tolkien?

      Lori Voorhees leads a Tolkien discussion group in Chico and has offered some helpful advice. We can follow their lead by (re)reading the Hobbit. For our first meeting we can compare the book with the film(s).

      Here is more advice:
      "In addition to books by and about Tolkien, we've branched out in several directions. One is mythology and epic, reading Celtic myths, the Mabagenobian, Beowulf (we have read it twice and will probably read it again), the Iliad, Siur Gawain and the Green Knight, Joseph Campbell; another is history, reading Guns, Germs and Steel; another is other fantasy/magical fiction; reading the Harry Potter series, a couple of the Game of Thrones series, the Earthsea trilogy, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell."

      Lori's bibliography is on the library's website:
      http://www.saclibrary.org/About-Us/News/file/Epic-Bibliography-Lori-Voorhees/

      I look forward to hearing from you.

      Stephenee