Answering Machine Joke Triggers Terror Raid

  • gravitational_amnesia
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2003
      Well, mine may have annoyed the hell out of many people, but at least
      they never started anything this big! I guess I will have to shoot
      higher when recording them again!

      Answering Machine Joke Triggers Terror Raid
      Mon Jan 6,10:29 AM ET

      COPENHAGEN (Reuters) - An anti-terrorism squad raided the home of a
      Danish family after mistaking a light-hearted message on their
      answering machine for a hostage alert.

      "We have been taken hostage by two children. Hurry. Help us after the
      beep. Now!" the Danish daily Politiken quoted the message as saying
      on Monday.

      But police in the Copenhagen suburb of Gladsaxe and worried friends,
      who alerted the authorities on Saturday, thought the message
      said: "We have been taken hostage WITH two children."

      Two police cars were dispatched and surprised neighbors watched as
      policemen cordoned off the area. Police had entered the house but the
      officer in charge told Politiken it had turned out to be a false
      alarm.