June 30: Immigrant Voting Rights Coalition Meeting

  • Frontlines newspaper
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2004
      Voting Rights Coalition for Immigrant Parents
      (not an official title, which we'll discuss at the mtg)
      Organizing Meeting:
      Wednesday, June 30th, 2004, from 5:30-7:30 pm
      Instituto Familiar de La Raza, on 2919 Mission Street @ 26th Street

      Dear Friends --

      It is with great enthusiasm and excitement that we invite you and your
      organization to be part of a new quest for civil rights in San
      Francisco.

      On Wednesday, June 30th, 2004, from 5:30-7:30 pm, we will meet at
      Instituto Familiar de La Raza, on 2919 Mission Street @ 26th Street, to
      launch a broad coalition of labor, community groups, churches, elected
      officials, citizens and immigrants to pass the Immigrant Voting Rights
      initiative in the November 2004 election.  Introduced by Board of
      Supervisors President Matt Gonzalez -- and supported at this time by Supervisors
      Ammiano, Daly, Maxwell, McGoldrick, and Sandoval -- the measure will
      extend the right to vote in school board elections to all parents with
      children in San Francisco public schools, regardless of citizenship.  The
      initiative will empower the parents of one-third of our children in
      public schools to have a saying as how their children are educated.

      We hope you and your organization would join us on June 30th to give us
      your input, talent and effort to make this initiative proposition a
      reality in our city and to be part of a nationwide effort to enhance
      democracy.  Many people are not aware that for the first 150-year history of
      our country, 22 states allowed immigrants to vote, and in the last two
      decades, cities and towns in four states -- Maryland, Massachusetts,
      Illinois and New York -- have provided voting rights to immigrants at the
      local level.  This campaign is not new, but simply a return to core
      American values of fairness and democracy, and another exciting step in
      the historic civil rights movement.

      On Wednesday, we will provide information, answer questions, and take
      additional feedback and suggestions concerning the initiative, and we
      will also spend time brainstorming further community outreach strategy,
      an official name for the coalition, and overall campaign strategies.

      In solidarity,

      Voting Rights Coalition for Immigrant Parents (not an official title,
      which we'll discuss at the mtg)

      p.s.  On July 1st and 8th, the Rules Committee of the Board of
      Supervisors will hear public comment on this initiative, and we also encourage
      you to testify.  For more information, or if you cannot attend the
      meeting but want to receive future information about this initiative
      campaign,  please contact David Chiu at (415) 793-5462 or
      david.chiu@... or Carlos Petroni at (415) 452-9992 or
      alternative@....
      Also, all of you should have received a Yahoo Group invitation to join the coalition's list serve; please sign up,
      or email david.chiu@... if you did not receive it.

      Read the latest issue of Frontlines at http://www.sf-frontlines.com
      Local, National and International political news and commentaries.