Pig's Blood Thrown at SF Mosque

  • socalt
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 12, 2001
      SAN FRANCISCO POLICE INVESTIGATE HATE CRIME

      SAN FRANCISCO (BCN - Bay City News, 9/12/2001)

      The San Francisco Police Department reported today that someone left a
      bag
      filled with a red substance thought to be blood on the doorstep of the
      Islamic Community Center and investigators are treating the incident as
      hate crime.

      Lt. Morris Tabak said an unidentified caller phoned the center at 3004
      16th
      St. this afternoon and asked a female employee if she worked at the
      Islamic
      Community Center. The woman said yes and then the caller told her that
      they
      had left a message for Osama bin Laden at the front door, according to
      Tabak.

      When the woman went to the front door, she found a plastic bag partially

      filled with a red substance. It had the words "Pig's Blood" written on
      it,
      and appeared to have been thrown at the door, with the red liquid
      scattered
      around the entrance.

      "We're confirming all that," Tabak said at about 4 p.m. "The Hate Crimes

      unit is en route."

      While police are investigating this report as a hate crime, Tabak said
      the
      number of incidents called in to police has been lower than usual this
      week.

      Islamic Center spokeswoman Xequina Berber said today's incident occurred
      at
      2:35 p.m. She said the substance was definitely blood and that it was
      splattered all over the sidewalk and the front of the entrance.

      "It was a lot of blood," she said.

      The fire department cleaned up the blood, she said, and the police had
      already come and gone by late afternoon.

      She said the center, which fields calls for the Muslim community and
      processes immigration work, has never had anything like this happen
      before.

      "There's been a lot of crank calls but this is the first threat," she
      said.

      CONTACT: San Francisco Police, Hate Crimes (415) 553-1133
      Islamic Community Center (415) 552-8831
      Council on American-Islamic Relations 202-489-5108

      Diana Yee
      KRON-TV SF

      -----
    • Leanna Hong-Louie
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 12, 2001
        This is truly a tragedy...double tragedy. I hope the
        general public does not make innocent Muslims into
        victims. Let's not assume that all Muslims are
        associated with Osama Bin Ladin. Many Muslims do not
        know nor do they sympathize with that rebel. Please
        stop hurting innocent Americans of Islamic descent.

        Leanna Louie

      • jvhobson@cs.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 13, 2001
          We all have a special responsibility at this crucial time to avoid reacting out of blind fury and scapegoating others. For example, lashing out randomly at -say- Muslims at home and abroad will have no other effect than to create a self perpetuating cycle of hatred and revenge where the vast majority of victims on all "sides" are innocent.
              We must wait until we know exactly who is responsible and focus our efforts against them and only them as much as humanly possible.  Otherwise we become indistinguishable from the terrorists we despise, and create the Third World War that we still have the power to avoid.              -Jim Hobson  San Francisco