Huge Gasoline Price Hikes Reported

  • socalt
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 12, 2001

      URGENT WIRE

      Gasoline prices rose up dramatically in some areas today.  In some cities in the Midwest of the U.S prices were as high as $5 oer gallon.  Most Oil Companies declared a “Freeze” in their prices in what it is believed to be no more than a PR gimmick.  Oil companies do not control, for the most part, the prices at the pump.  The explanation from “experts” was again the stereotype: when people see any connection between terrorism or political turmoil and the Middle East they rush to the pumps to fill it up.” Now, the ones making the “connection” between terrorism and the Middle East is the Media, fed by the FBI and the Bush administration.

      END OF WIRE

    • Graham Brownstein
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 12, 2001
        A LETTER RECEIVED AND OUR ANSWER:

        To Whom It May Concern:

        And many thousands of normal, innocent, good people worked for these
        corporations. What exactly was the purpose of posting this listing? Are
        you blinded by your own need to cast the people who worked for these
        corporations as the "other" so that us liberal activists can feel superior?
        Are you trying to help us feel as if the bombing was not without some
        small amount of merit? I look to Frontlines as a rare source of
        non-corporate controlled information but I am very troubled by this posting.

        We can not let ourselves fall into the US versus THEM mentality that is
        driving humanity into oblivion. This is not the time to be pushing an
        agenda; we've got enough of that happening in the regular press and in
        policy circles and in the general public. I understand emotions are
        running high and that some of you at Frontlines may have felt that this
        posting provided important or relevant information. It did not.

        I am still trying to confirm that I have not lost friends or family who
        worked in these buildings and I am saddened because I feel that your
        posting of this list had some sort of agenda to give those of us who fight
        corporate power a bit of a lift in knowing that "the enemy" (the "THEM")
        has somehow been wounded. It is so much easier to point fingers than to
        look inside ourselves for our share of the responsibility. After
        yesterday's violence, it is clearer to me than ever that there is no US and
        THEM--that there is no "enemy"--except, of course, ourselves.

        Graham Brownstein
        Director, Community Organizing and Outreach, TURN

        ANSWER FROM FRONTLINES STAFF:

        Dear Reader:

        As we wrote in the introduction when we published the list of tenants at the WTC "It is not doubt that the act of heinous terrorism against the World Trade
        Center caused the life of thousands of people."

        From our news and commentary that we published is very clear that Frontlines condemned the terrorist attacks against innocent civilians and people, most of them workers at the WTC. It is also clear our stand that most people killed are innocent bystanders and civilians. It is not a hint of justification in our reporting of these heinous acts. Our full support goes to the families and friends of all those killed.

        The publication of the list of firms which are tenants at the WTC is a ligitimate news item and information related to the scope of the damage not only to corporate businesses, but also - as we stated in the introduction of the list -to government agencies, civil service offices and communications and media outlets.

        Our reporting is not about "us" against "them" as you said, but a necessary information the media should be covering. The terrorist attacks also destroyed commercial, banking, government and financial operations that will have a great impact in the economy of New York, and all its citizens and to a certain degree in the economy of the country - already in the grips of a recession. Only now, economists are starting to estimate the economic losses that could be as high as $50-Billion.

        Of course that piece of news is not as important as the loss of thousands of lives, but it is also part of reality and need to be covered.

        By the same token, Frontlines will cover as much as possible how the rulers of this country will try to use the pain and grief and the devastating effects of the terrorist attacks to curtail our freedoms and limit the ability of political expression under the disguise of "fighting terrorism."

        We do not believe that we should be looking inside ourselves to find a shade of responsbility for what happened, as you said in your letter. We definitely believe we share no responsibility whatsoever with the terrorists who caused such a massacre nor with those who will try to use their actions to try to justify their own terrorist activities elsewhere.

        The best way to honor friends and relatives who were so heinously killed by terrorists is not to allow their memories to be the justification of terrorist retaliatiory attacks against other countries to cause death against civilians and innocent bystanders as the thousanbds of killed in the US were. This is not time to unite with the right and Bush, but to confront them and their attempts to use our grief to their advantage. Part of that is to report what is going on.

        Sincerely,

        FRONTLINES STAFF