SF CITY TREASURER RACE

  • socalt
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2001

      CARLOS PETRONI FOR CITY TREASURER

      PRESS RELEASE

      For Immediate Release

      Contact: (415) 452-9992

      CHALLENGER PETRONI INVITES INCUMBENT TO DEBATE THE ISSUES

      Editor, economist, immigrant rights organizer and union activist Carlos Petroni is on the ballot for the November 6, 2001 elections.  He is running for City Treasurer against incumbent Susan Leal, a faithful of the local political machine. Petroni is the only challenger on the ballot.

      Under the control of the local political machine of Willie Brown, the City Treasury experienced revenue losses of over $100-Million, continues to have negligible gains from the investments of Billions of City dollars and some of those investments are objectionable because favor big corporations engaged in union busting, environmental onslaughts and extract profits from the exploitation of child labor and workers and farmers in other countries.

      The present incumbent has done nothing to open up the process of the City Budget to the scrutiny of the people and her office avoids the implementation of the Sunshine Ordinance and other progressive legislation.  The incumbent was and is opposed to District Elections for Supervisors.

      Carlos Petroni sent today a letter to the incumbent inviting her to a series of debates and requested that she turned over to his campaign the reports and audits of the City Treasury to make an independent assessment of the state of the Department.

      Petroni is running on a platform that includes the following points:

      Living on the average City worker’s wage, not the present Treasurer’s salary of $130,598.

      • Withdrawing all City and City workers’ pension fund money (approximately $12-billion annually) from corporate banks to create a democratically-administered Municipal Bank to invest in affordable housing, health care, education, create jobs for San Franciscans AND increase the General Fund.

      • City workers should democratically decide how to invest their pension fund.

      • Progressive taxation on big businesses; reassessing Downtown real estate to broaden the City’s tax base, reduce taxes for working class homeowners and small businesses and recoup the $100+ million in revenue lost over the present administration.

      • Stop investing City money in anti-environment, union-busting corporations that super-exploit workers and peasants in other countries; bringing the anti-corporate movement of youth and workers initiated in Seattle against the WTO, IMF, World Bank to the City Treasury.

      • A City Treasurer that serves the working class, not the political machine.

      For information, complete platform, call (415) 452-9992, e-mail: progress@...

      TEXT OF THE LETTER TO THE INCUMBENT

      Dear Susan Leal:

      As you know, I will be the only candidate on the ballot running against you.  Given the ideological, programmatic and professional differences of our campaigns, and because this will be a race between two candidates, we are presented with the great opportunity to offer the voters a clear and comprehensive view of our differences.

      That is why I formally invite you to work with me in preparing 11 community debates.  One in each Supervisorial District.  I also formally invite you to work together to get main sponsors from Radio and TV stations to hold at least one public debate that will be broadcasted.

      Under the provisos of the Sunshine Ordinance, and given the fact that I intend to make a comprehensive assessment of your last four years as a City Treasurer, I request that you send me ASAP the following:

      1. All Monthly, Quarterly and Annual Reports of your office for the last 4 years.
      2. The list of all investments, including amounts, name of corporations and the rate of profit the City received from each of those investments.
      3. Any and all audits of your office performed in the last 4 years.

      I’m formally requesting that these documents will be sent without delay to:

      Carlos Petroni

      3311 Mission Street, Suite 135

      San Francisco , California 94110

      Sincerely,