Your voice needed - NEW TRANSBAY TERMINAL IN DANGER!

  • Eugene Bradley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2001
      Hello.

      I am the founder of the Santa Clara VTA Riders Union, a
      grassroots-based organization dedicated to ensuring our elected
      officials in Santa Clara County implement and improve cost-effective
      transit in Santa Clara County.

      It has come to my attention thru our sister organization,
      Peninsula Rail 2000, that next Tuesday, July 10, in Sacramento, the
      California State Senate's Transporation Committee will hear bill AB
      1419. If this bill passes, it would tranfer land around 1st and
      Mission (site of the current Transbay Terminal) from Caltrans to the
      City and would greatly facilitate in rebuilding the Transbay Terminal.

      A rebuilt Transbay Terminal would be a "grand terminal" for mass
      transit in the Bay Area, similar to what Grand Central Station in New
      York City does now. It would serve as a much-improved transfer point
      for MUNI, SamTrans, AC Transit, Greyhound, and tour buses. It would
      also serve as the downtown terminus for Caltrain to replace the
      current terminus at 4th and King outside downtown. This would
      especially be the case when the Caltrain line undergoes
      "electrification" throughout the system in a few years. Currently,
      the Transbay Terminal is old, dilapidated, and nearly unusable as a
      regional mass transit hub. Caltrain riders who travel to the City
      often have to use the unreliable MUNI to travel downtown from 4th and
      King.

      If AB 1419 fails, it will be a devastating blow to mass transit in San
      Francisco, and possibly throughout the Bay Area. Not only would it
      result in reduced incentive for the modernization of the Caltrain
      system, the City will continue to lack a world-class regional mass
      transit hub - a hub that has been in planning for nearly 30 years!
      Even now, some southern California-based senators see the Transbay
      Terminal as "local pork for San Francisco" when it is really a
      regional transit solution for the Bay Area.

      Even now, Caltrans is facing up to $1 billion in cost overruns on the
      Bay Bridge earthquake retrofit project, and is seeking money to make
      up for those cost overruns. It is rumored that Caltrans needs money
      off the land around the current Transbay Terminal to make up for the
      cost overruns, and sees the lack of land transfer as a way to resell
      the land to developers to get the money needed for the cost overruns.

      You can find more information and what you can do to save the Transbay
      Terminal reconstruction project at the following URL:

      http://www.rail2000.org/alert/

      If you would like to help get word out to Caltrain riders at 4th and
      King, please contact Margaret Okuzumi at (408)732-8712 or by email at
      okuzumi@....

      Speak Up or Lose Out!

      Eugene Bradley
      Founder, VTA Riders Union