Howard Zinn to Speak

  • Speak Out
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2001
      Speak Out presents
      An Evening of Art and Politics
      Howard Zinn
      in conversation with poet Aya de Leon
      With Special Guests
      Actor Brian Jones reincarnated as Karl Marx
      and National Slam Champion Alix Olson

      Friday, April 20, 2001, 7:30 p.m.
      King Middle School
      1781 Rose St. North Berkeley

      Tickets: $15 in advance, $20 at the door
      Student group rates available. Call Speak Out for details. (510) 601-0182

      For Advance tickets EAST BAY: Cody's, Black Oak, Diesel, Global
      Exchange store, Walden Pond
      SAN FRANCISCO: Global Exchange store, Modern Times
      For tickets by mail: Send check or money order payable to Speak Out to
      PO Box 99096, Emeryville CA 94662

      Speak Out also invites you to a pre-event Dinner Reception with
      Howard Zinn
      at Cafe de la Paz, 1600 Shattuck Ave. @ Ceder, Berkeley.
      Friday, April 20, 2001 from 5:00 pm-7:00 pm
      RSVP required -Space is Limited. Call (510) 601-0182
      Cost is $50 which includes dinner and a ticket to the event at King
      Middle School .
      Get up close and personal with one of our country's most beloved historians,
      enjoy savory Brazilian dishes with a no-host bar and
      help raise seed money for the People's History Exhibit,
      a project to create a traveling mobile museum based on Howard Zinn's classic,
      "A People's History of the United States."

      "What can I say that will in any way convey the love, respect, and admiration I feel for this unassuming hero who was my teacher and mentor; this radical historian and people-loving 'troublemaker'... Howard Zinn was the best teacher I ever had, and the funniest."
      - Alice Walker

      If you want to read a real history book, read Howard Zinn's A
      People's History of the United States. That book will knock you on
      your ass."
      - Actor Matt Damon in the film "Good Will Hunting"

      "Movements have always been given enormous stimulus and inspiration
      by art and artists."
      - Howard Zinn

      Howard Zinn is one of our country's most beloved and respected historians, a playwright and a passionate activist for radical change. He is the author of numerous books including the classic, A People's History of United States, which has gone into more than 25 printings. His recent works include You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train, The Zinn Reader, and The Future of History. He has also written three plays, Emma, Unsafe Distances and Marx in Soho all of which merge art and politics.

      Speak Out is the country's only national not-for-profit organization
      that promotes progressive speakers and artists on campuses and in
      communities nationwide. Committed to social, political, cultural and
      economic justice, Speak Out encourages critical and imaginative
      thinking about domestic and international issues through artistic and
      educational forums. Speak Out works with 200 speakers and artists who
      represent the breadth of social movements as well as
      critically-acclaimed exhibits and films which inform and empower
      young people to take action for positive social change.
      For a complete listing, send us your full mailing address.
      Speak Out Phone: (510) 601-0182
      P.O. Box 99096 Fax: (510) 601-0183
      Emeryville CA 94662 Email: speakout@...
      On the Web: http://www.speakersandartists.org