Re: Willie's Machine Defeated!

  • marc@cybre.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 14, 2000
      --- In FrontlinesNewspaper@egroups.com, "Frontlines Newspaper"
      > * Reverse the vote of the Board around the issue of citizens not
      > being able to complain to the Planning Commission.

      There is still public comment before the political brick wall that is
      The Planning Commission, instead of happening at the outset of the
      meeting where we get to measure our speech in McCarthy and Stein's
      hourly billing, the Planning Commission moved it to an indeterminate
      time at the end of the meeting.

      There should be two periods for public comment, first at the outset of
      the meeting as is current for people who work in Civic Center as well
      as seniors who might feel more comfortable coming to City Hall during
      midday and second at a special order, like 5:30PM so that working
      folks can petition the commission.

      > * Enact immediately a housing emergency. Declare a moratorium on all
      > growth and vote legislation setting up elected neighborhood councils
      > with power over planning, zoning, budget and economic development,
      > Scrap the Planning Commission and Department.

      The Planning Department has some talented individuals working there.
      The problem is that their work days are directed politically instead
      of holistically. We need to leverage the knowledge those folks have
      towards our ends. We need to eliminate the function of the Planning
      Dept as a permit expediter.

      Abolish the Planning Commission, replace it with district planning
      commissions that can call upon the services of planners in the
      Department in the department at the behest of the district supervisor.

      > * Extend the right to vote to non-citizens; enact instant runoff;
      > move to full public campaigning and ban corporate and soft money
      > contributions.

      Instant runoffs might have unintended consequences. We need to think
      this one through.

      > * Withdraw all monies - budget and pension plan funds - from Wells
      > Fargo and Bank of America and create a Bank of the City to invest in
      > Health Care, low income housing and education for all San
      Franciscans.

      YES

      > * Strenghten and expand rent control for housing and extend it to
      > commercial properties.

      Have Johnny Burton, Migden and Shelley earn their keep in Sacto by
      engineering enabling legislation granting San Francisco an exemption
      to those laws.

      > * End all prohibition of strike for public employees. Declare San
      > Francisco a closed shop. No businesses with strike breakers and
      > union busting corporations.

      Lemme see the democratic unions in place first.