Willie's Machine Defeated!

  • Frontlines Newspaper
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 13, 2000
      WILLIE'S MACHINE DEFEATED
      NEW MAJORITY IN THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
      Frontlines Staff

      Willie's political machine faced the music today. Eight out of nine
      of his candidates went down to defeat today. These are the results:

      District 1

      Jake McGoldrick 6,953 53%
      Michael Yaki 6,168 47%

      Jake is an Ammianoite and Yaki's defeat speaks volumes about the
      breath of Willie's defeat. McGoldrick was the underdog all along. He
      will vote for Ammiano as President of the Board. He is a man of the
      SF Tenants Union but he shift to more "moderate" stands on rent
      control during the campaign.

      District 3

      Aaron Peskin 6,717 59.6%
      Lawrence Wong 4,547 40.4%

      Aaron Peskin was endorsed by the dailies and also by both Clint
      Reilly - the right wing of the new emerging machine - and Ammiano,
      its liberal wing. Peskin owes to both. Will vote for Ammiano for
      President.

      District 4

      Leland Yee 7,471 55.8%
      John Shanley 5,925 44.2%

      Leland suffered the classical stab on the back. Neither Ammiano nor
      Willie endorsed him. He shifted from moderate to liberal and back to
      moderate. But he has an ax to grind with Willie. Watch his vote for
      President of the Board.

      District 5

      Matt Gonzalez 9,775 66.1%
      Juanita Owens 5,021 33.9%

      Matt broke with the Democratic Party and registered Green between the
      general and the runoff. He won as an "independent progressive" and
      spite the fact that the Willie's machine dumped hundreds of thousands
      to campaign against him. Juanita is a right winger that privatized
      the Edison during her tenure in the Board. In spite her cynical
      attempts to manipulate the African American community, she got
      creamed. Doesn't hurt to become independent, isn't it Matt?

      District 6

      Chris Daly 7,905 81.2%
      Chris Dittenhaffer 1,830 18.8%

      Dittenhaffer got smashed in spite hundreds of thousands of dollars
      spent on his behalf by Willie's machine. Daly was not endorsed in
      the first round by Ammiano, who picked up Magilavy instead. He owes
      Ammiano nothing. Maybe he will re-consider and break with the
      Democrats as well.

      District 7

      Tony Hall 8,618 50.5%
      Mabel Teng 8,461 49.5%

      Hall is a Reilly's child. Paid by for. He is also right wing. As
      Mabel. This was not a win, but an exchange of one right winger for
      another. He hates Brown for the wrong reasons. He doesn't know who
      he would vote for as President of the Board. Maybe Leno or Newsom.

      District 8

      Mark Leno 8,836 51,6%
      Eileen Hansen 8,287 48.4%

      Eileen was the Ammianoite in the race, but Tom is also a friend of
      Leno. Mark will vote for Ammiano for President. After all, Ammiano
      did not attack him during the electoral season.

      District 10

      Sophenia Maxwell 5,460 56.0%
      Linda Richardson 4,290 44.0%

      Linda was Willie's candidate. But also was Sophenia in the general.
      Willie wanted Sophenia to take care of the opposition. The
      Ammianoite candidate and the Reilly's candidate both lost in the
      first round. Then Brown "betrayed" Sophenia. In exchange Sophenia
      supported Prop. L and was against M (Willie's favorite). Maybe she
      will be a little independent. Maybe not. A big question mark here.

      District 11

      Gerardo Sandoval 7,596 61.7%
      Amos Brown 4,708 38.3

      Brown was probably the most hated of Willie's cronies. And the most
      right winger. Sandoval owes big to Reilly - he paid the bill ,,, big
      time. He will also vote for Ammiano for President. Here both
      machines spent big: over $700,000 between Reilly and Brown. Lost the
      worst, the winner is not the best.

      Perspectives: Ammiano ended up with three votes for the Presidency,
      including him. They are McGoldrick, Aaron Peskin ... He can count
      with support from Leland Yee and Gerardo Sandoval. That makes five
      out of 11 and one short of what he needs.

      Matt or Chris Daly can count on their two votes, maybe they can push
      Sandoval to vote for any of them as well - Matt is a friend, you know
      ... But they will hold the key for Ammiano to be elected President
      of the Board if any or all of them decide to support Tom's bid.

      Then, will be Leno - who will navigate between Willie and Ammiano and
      can credibly, vote for Ammiano. Tony Hall, who will take his
      marching order from Reilly - and Reilly needs Ammiano and his
      friendship and Newsom - who ran unopposed and who is rich enough as
      to play the independent if needed.

      Now is time to put a lot of pressure on the Board. After all,
      Ammiano can command a credible majority of 6-8 in most votes. It is
      time to leave his excuses of the past aside:

      * Reverse the vote of the Board around the issue of citizens not
      being able to complain to the Planning Commission.

      * Enact immediately a housing emergency. Declare a moratorium on all
      growth and vote legislation setting up elected neighborhood councils
      with power over planning, zoning, budget and economic development,
      Scrap the Planning Commission and Department.

      * Extend the right to vote to non-citizens; enact instant runoff;
      move to full public campaigning and ban corporate and soft money
      contributions.

      * Enact a living wage of $14,50 plus benefits for all San Franciscans.

      * Withdraw all monies - budget and pension plan funds - from Wells
      Fargo and Bank of America and create a Bank of the City to invest in
      Health Care, low income housing and education for all San Franciscans.

      * End the Matrix Program against the Homeless

      * Strenghten and expand rent control for housing and extend it to
      commercial properties.

      * Establish a system of progressive taxation on big corporations and
      Downtown Businesses to help pay for health care, education and low
      income housing.

      * Dissolve all Commissions, end the procedure of appoitments, make
      all important offices and Commission's post electable.

      * Extend District Elections to College and School Boards.

      * End all plans to privatize schools, parks, transportation and
      utilities.

      * Municipalize under democratic control of the workers PG&E, the
      cable system and all utilities. Refund consumers with 30% of the
      savings created by these new muncipally owned companies.

      * End all prohibition of strike for public employees. Declare San
      Francisco a closed shop. No businesses with strike breakers and
      union busting corporations.

      * Call a Conference to create a mass, working class-based political
      organization and break with the Democratic Party.

      Many of the winners and Ammiano himself call themselves progresives.
      Is time they act as such. These are just initial measures they can
      take. Now.

      The Rumors:

      Reilly was not welcomedin at least three parties. He was asked not
      to drop by. But he was very welcomed in both Hall's and Sandoval's.

      Several candidates who won in both the Board of Education and the
      Board of Supervisors are discussing to follow Matt Gonzalez's example
      and break with the Democrats and maybe register Green. Wait for the
      news.

      Some of the new Supervisors want Gonzalez to become the President of
      the Board, not Ammiano.

      Ammiano did not drop by all parties, but made several congratulatory
      phone calls.

      Willie Brown was so furious that announced his close friends that he
      was planning two things: a) He will fire more than a dozen of his
      advisors; b) he will start making phone calls tomorrow trying to win
      with rethoric what he could not get at the polls. He is targetting
      three of the new supervisors ... excuse us, one of them is not new.
      He insited that he needed at least 4 votes in the Board to avoid
      vetoes of his legislation.

      Jack Davis presented Brown with a list of at least 40 pieces of
      legislation that need to be approved before the new supervisors take
      office. Is time for preemptive medicine.

      Reilly and Ammiano maybe friends. But they will have problems
      maintianing their alliance if more independent minded people like
      Gonzalez and Daly start making noises. There is already some
      movement asking these and other candidates to publicly distance
      themselves from Reilly. These new people can also spell problem for
      Ammiano if he decides to continue the "moderate' ropad in order to
      win the mayoral election in 2003.

      State Senator John Burton and Willie Brown are having a "tete a
      tete". So are DA Hallinan and Willie. Both Burton and Hallinan
      endorsed and helped under the table some of the opponents. Burton
      particularly messed up Amos Brown campaign. Apparently Burton had
      problems with Amos Brown and a couple of others, included
      Dittenhaffer in District 6. This spell further problems for Willie
      and complications for Ammiano and Reilly. The latter don't need the
      messing hand of part of the official machine in their camp.
    • Abel Mouton
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 13, 2000
        Matt Gonzalez raised an interesting idea in the debate with Juanita Owens on
        12/6. He called to overturn Barbara Kaufman's infamous 'strong mayor'
        charter amendment from 1995, one of the more dastardly measures of the last
        decade, substantially respomsible for the development anarchy of SF Today.

        I kind of like Matt's idea myself. Question is, what will Ammiano and the
        new Supes who owe him and Clint Reilly big favors think of it? Ammiano and
        Reilly are no doubt both deep in the throes of a Pavlovian response to the
        outcome of this election. Both want to be mayor. But does either of them
        want to be a weak mayor?
      • marc@cybre.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 14, 2000
          --- In FrontlinesNewspaper@egroups.com, "Frontlines Newspaper"
          > * Reverse the vote of the Board around the issue of citizens not
          > being able to complain to the Planning Commission.

          There is still public comment before the political brick wall that is
          The Planning Commission, instead of happening at the outset of the
          meeting where we get to measure our speech in McCarthy and Stein's
          hourly billing, the Planning Commission moved it to an indeterminate
          time at the end of the meeting.

          There should be two periods for public comment, first at the outset of
          the meeting as is current for people who work in Civic Center as well
          as seniors who might feel more comfortable coming to City Hall during
          midday and second at a special order, like 5:30PM so that working
          folks can petition the commission.

          > * Enact immediately a housing emergency. Declare a moratorium on all
          > growth and vote legislation setting up elected neighborhood councils
          > with power over planning, zoning, budget and economic development,
          > Scrap the Planning Commission and Department.

          The Planning Department has some talented individuals working there.
          The problem is that their work days are directed politically instead
          of holistically. We need to leverage the knowledge those folks have
          towards our ends. We need to eliminate the function of the Planning
          Dept as a permit expediter.

          Abolish the Planning Commission, replace it with district planning
          commissions that can call upon the services of planners in the
          Department in the department at the behest of the district supervisor.

          > * Extend the right to vote to non-citizens; enact instant runoff;
          > move to full public campaigning and ban corporate and soft money
          > contributions.

          Instant runoffs might have unintended consequences. We need to think
          this one through.

          > * Withdraw all monies - budget and pension plan funds - from Wells
          > Fargo and Bank of America and create a Bank of the City to invest in
          > Health Care, low income housing and education for all San
          Franciscans.

          YES

          > * Strenghten and expand rent control for housing and extend it to
          > commercial properties.

          Have Johnny Burton, Migden and Shelley earn their keep in Sacto by
          engineering enabling legislation granting San Francisco an exemption
          to those laws.

          > * End all prohibition of strike for public employees. Declare San
          > Francisco a closed shop. No businesses with strike breakers and
          > union busting corporations.

          Lemme see the democratic unions in place first.