Re: [FrontPageUsers] Off topic forward to all your friends asap

  • Tina Clarke
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2002
      hoax

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "butifulcinnomingirl" <ssalis4228@...>
      To: <FrontPageUsers@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 8:37 PM
      Subject: [FrontPageUsers] Off topic forward to all your
      friends asap

      Internet.

      > Under proposed legislation, the US Postal Service will be
      attempting
      > to bill E-mail users out of "alternative postage fees."
      >

      > Bill 602P will permit the Federal Government to charge a
      5-cent
      > surcharge on every e-mail delivered, by billing Internet
      Service
      > Providers at source. The consumer would then be billed in
      turn by the
      > ISP.
      > Washington DC lawyer Richard Stepp is working without pay
      to prevent
      > this legislation from becoming law.
      >

      > The US Postal Service is claiming lost revenue, due to the
      > proliferation of E-mail, is costing nearly $230,000,000 in
      revenue
      > per year. You may have noticed their recent ad campaign:
      "There is
      > nothing like a letter."
      >

      > Since the average person received about 10 pieces of
      E-mail per day
      > in 1998, the cost of the typical individual would be an
      additional 50
      > cents a day -- or over $180 per year -- above and beyond
      their
      > regular Internet costs.
      >

      > Note that this would be money paid directly to the US
      Postal Service
      > for a service they do not even provide.
      >

      > The whole point of the Internet is democracy and
      noninterference. You
      > are already paying an exorbitant price for snail mail
      because of
      > bureaucratic inefficiency. It currently takes up to 6 days
      for a
      > letter to be delivered from coast to coast. If the US
      Postal Service
      > is allowed to tinker with E-mail, it will mark the end of
      the "free"
      > Internet in the United States.
      >

      > Congressional representative, Tony Schnell (R) has even
      suggested
      > a "$20-$40 per month surcharge on all Internet service"
      above and
      > beyond the governments proposed E-mail charges. Note that
      most of
      > the major newspapers have ignored the story the only
      exception being
      > the Washingtonian which called the idea of E-mail
      surcharge "a useful
      > concept who's time has come" (March 6th, 1999 Editorial).
      Do not sit

      > Save 30% on Web addresses! Get with the times, get a web
      site. Share information, pictures, your hobby, or start a
      business. Great names are still available- get yours before
      someone else does!
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/UBc4BA/nFGEAA/sXBHAA/wbFolB/TM
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • butifulcinnomingirl