Publishing with PWS

  • pete@walthamstow.demon.co.uk
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2001
      Can someone explain the differences between a disk based web and a
      server based web. Can they reside in the same directory?

      Thanks in advance
      Pete
    • Tiffany
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 18, 2001
        > Can someone explain the differences between a disk based web and a
        > server based web. Can they reside in the same directory?

        A web is considered a DBW when it is stored in a directory on your local
        computer other then the default directory of a web server. It is not
        FrontPage extended.
        A server based web is stored on your local computer in the default directory
        of the web server. It can be viewed through the browser at
        http://localhost/nameofweb
        functions within this web that rely on FrontPage extensions will work when
        the pages are viewed through the browser at a similar address as above.

        Tiffany
        Project Manager, Consultwebs.com
        - Web Design & Consulting http://www.consultwebs.com
        FrontPageĀ® Mail list tips and tutorials -
        http://www.venusdesigns.net/frontpage
      • pete@walthamstow.demon.co.uk
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 27, 2001
          Thanks Tiffany,

          Sorry for the long delay, been working out of the country.

          OK, so now I understand that I have to have my development
          environment separate from my 'published' webs. Great, all I did was
          to move all my webs to another directory and I could publish without
          any problems.

          However, I still have to be connected to the internet to publish a
          web to my local machine. Otherwise I get a message "Could not find
          web server 'localhost' on Port 80. Please check to make sure that the
          name is valid and your proxy settings are correct......"

          I've tried setting the internet settings to not automatically
          connecting, but that really isn't the answer.

          ANyone have a clue?

          Many thanks
          Pete