Discussion Wizard Problems

  • sbrewer@city.leduc.ab.ca
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 9, 1999
      Hi Everyone,
      I have recently taken over as the webmaster for a
      website, and I am running into some problems I
      hope someone can help me with. On the website
      there is a discussion page and a guestbook
      setup. The previous webmaster had no time to
      monitor these pages for bad content, so it was
      blocked off by assigning a password to the page
      in order to post anything (at least that is what
      I have been told she did, I would have thought
      just breaking the links would have been easier).
      The problem I face is that I can not seem to
      remove the password requirement. I have even
      deleted the entire discussion section and started
      from scratch with no luck. I have checked all
      the standard places where you can set up
      passwords and such and all are set to not require
      a password for posting. I am working directly
      off the server (in fact I do not even have to
      publish, once I hit save the internet version is
      altered), and the password to access the site is
      the one that works to post messages.

      Is this a network setting that needs to be
      changed? The network administrator doesn't feel
      this is the problem, but I can not find anything
      else to explain it.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
      so much for your time.

      Shelley
    • Chris Hansen
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 9, 1999
        Hello... Does anyone know of free web page hosting with front page
        extensions? I'm using tripod and I am unable;e to upload my sites using
        front page..

        Chris
      • Gregory Hazzard
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 9, 1999
          Chris,
          Tripod is supposed to support the front page extensions.
          But you have to tell their servers that your page is using them.
          Log into your user account on Tripod. Go to your file manager and near the
          top of the page you will see a link that says Tools.
          Choose this and when the new page opens you'll see a link Microsoft
          FrontPage 2000 Enabler. That should give you the instructions on how to
          enable your site for the front page extensions.
          Hope that helps

          Gregory Hazzard
          "If I had something witty to quote...it would go here"
          Rekalos: The Age of Loss ( http://members.triopd.com/rekalos/index.htm )
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 9, 1999
            I already did that a couple of times! Any other suggestions?

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 9, 1999
              Email their help line, and explain it to them. It may be in your front page
              settings somewhere.

              Rekalos: The Age of Loss ( http://members.tripod.com/rekalos/index.htm )

              Sponsor ----------------------------

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 10, 1999
                I don't think it's that. I able to connect to other servers.

                Chris

                Sponsor ----------------------------

                > > > You can WIN $100 to Amazon.com by starting a new list at ONElist.
                > > > Drawing is held each week through August 20. For details, go to
                > > > http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html

                > > > FrontPage: What do you want to create today?

                > > ONElist: home to the world's liveliest email communities.

                > > FrontPage: What do you want to create today?

                > ONElist now has T-SHIRTS!
                > For details and to order, go to:
                > http://www.onelist.com/store/tshirts.html

                > FrontPage: What do you want to create today?

              • Transwarp2000 Webmaster
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 15, 1999
                  Chris Hansen wrote:

                  > From: "Chris Hansen" <chanse@...>
                  >
                  > Hello... Does anyone know of free web page hosting with front page
                  > extensions? I'm using tripod and I am unable;e to upload my sites using
                  > front page..
                  >
                  > Chris

                  Tripod does, but you have to request that the extentions be installed on
                  their page and ypur url changes from members.tripod.com/~username to
                  members.tripod.com/username.

                  However, I have fround tripod to be eztremenly ubreliable. chack out MS's
                  FrontPage site for links to third partiy products that will publish your
                  page even without the extentions installed.

                  --
                  Sincerely,

                  Tim Ryberg
                  Webaster@...
                  FrontPageUsers List Administrator
                  http://www.transwarp2000.net

                  "He's not really dead, as long as we remember him."
                  -- Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

                  USENET posters, please send e-mail replies
                  Spammers, if you want to loose your e-mail and/or ISP accounts, the fastest
                  way to do that is to send me your junk mail.
                • Transwarp2000 Webmaster
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 15, 1999
                    sbrewer@... wrote:

                    > From: sbrewer@...
                    >
                    > Hi Everyone,
                    > I have recently taken over as the webmaster for a
                    > website, and I am running into some problems I
                    > hope someone can help me with. On the website
                    > there is a discussion page and a guestbook
                    > setup. The previous webmaster had no time to
                    > monitor these pages for bad content, so it was
                    > blocked off by assigning a password to the page
                    > in order to post anything (at least that is what
                    > I have been told she did, I would have thought
                    > just breaking the links would have been easier).
                    > The problem I face is that I can not seem to
                    > remove the password requirement. I have even
                    > deleted the entire discussion section and started
                    > from scratch with no luck. I have checked all
                    > the standard places where you can set up
                    > passwords and such and all are set to not require
                    > a password for posting. I am working directly
                    > off the server (in fact I do not even have to
                    > publish, once I hit save the internet version is
                    > altered), and the password to access the site is
                    > the one that works to post messages.
                    >
                    > Is this a network setting that needs to be
                    > changed? The network administrator doesn't feel
                    > this is the problem, but I can not find anything
                    > else to explain it.

                    If the FrontPage web settings are normal, then it has to be a network thing.
                    You said you deleted the old one, but if it has the same name as the old one
                    then you inherit the problem. This sounds like it's a server setting that
                    needs to be changed or rename the guest book write page (the page of resulds
                    name has to be the same from what I have seen.