Appearance of imported Microsoft Word documents.

  • Don
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2005
      New question.

      I have imported two Word files into a site that I maintain. When I am
      working on them in "Page" view they appear to have line breaks after
      each word. The text just lines up on the left side of the screen.
      When I upload the pages to the server, they appear to be normal.

      Anyone know what causes this problem? I have looked at the HTML code
      and don't see any differences between these two files and those that
      appear normal in FrontPage. It must be some sort of format problem
      carrying over from the word processor.

      Thanks

      Don
    • Tina Clarke
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2005
        > New question.
        >
        > I have imported two Word files into a site that I maintain. When I am
        > working on them in "Page" view they appear to have line breaks after
        > each word. The text just lines up on the left side of the screen.
        > When I upload the pages to the server, they appear to be normal.
        >
        > Anyone know what causes this problem? I have looked at the HTML code
        > and don't see any differences between these two files and those that
        > appear normal in FrontPage. It must be some sort of format problem
        > carrying over from the word processor.
        >
        > Thanks

        There you have it one.... never put word files directly into an editor.

        Put your text content into a notepad file and then copy and paste to
        FrontPage.

        If these are old word files that is how you will have to do..

        If you are making new content .... if you want to make a website you work in
        a web editor, if you want to write letters to people you work in word.. each
        tool does a different thing. A hammer knocks a nail in ... a nail is there
        to be hammered in. Different things for different jobs.... never use word
        files as html pages.... the formatting is horrible and increases your page
        load.

        The same with word art take a screen shot and turn it into a jpeg.

        Remake tables.

        Tina

        http://accessfp.net/ - FrontPage Tutorials
        http://anyfrontpage.com/ - http://frontpage-ebooks.com/
        http://addonfp.com/ - FrontPage Addons
        http://frontpage-tips.com/ - Weekly FrontPage Tips
        http://msmvps.com/frontpage/ - FrontPage News & Articles Blog
        http://frontpage-advice.blogspot.com/ - FrontPage Advice Blog
        http://artdoodle.com/ - Abstract Pen and Ink Drawings
      • Don
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 9, 2005
          --- In FrontPageUsers@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Clarke" <TinaClarke@a...>
          wrote:

          > > New question.
          > >
          > > I have imported two Word files into a site that I maintain. When I am
          > > working on them in "Page" view they appear to have line breaks after
          > > each word. The text just lines up on the left side of the screen.
          > > When I upload the pages to the server, they appear to be normal.
          > >
          > > Anyone know what causes this problem? I have looked at the HTML code
          > > and don't see any differences between these two files and those that
          > > appear normal in FrontPage. It must be some sort of format problem
          > > carrying over from the word processor.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >

          > There you have it one.... never put word files directly into an editor.
          >
          > Put your text content into a notepad file and then copy and paste to
          > FrontPage.
          >
          > If these are old word files that is how you will have to do..
          >
          > If you are making new content .... if you want to make a website you
          work in
          > a web editor, if you want to write letters to people you work in
          word.. each
          > tool does a different thing. A hammer knocks a nail in ... a nail is
          there
          > to be hammered in. Different things for different jobs.... never use
          word
          > files as html pages.... the formatting is horrible and increases
          your page
          > load.
          >
          > The same with word art take a screen shot and turn it into a jpeg.
          >
          > Remake tables.
          >
          > Tina
          >
          > http://accessfp.net/ - FrontPage Tutorials
          > http://anyfrontpage.com/ - http://frontpage-ebooks.com/
          > http://addonfp.com/ - FrontPage Addons
          > http://frontpage-tips.com/ - Weekly FrontPage Tips
          > http://msmvps.com/frontpage/ - FrontPage News & Articles Blog
          > http://frontpage-advice.blogspot.com/ - FrontPage Advice Blog
          > http://artdoodle.com/ - Abstract Pen and Ink Drawings

          Hi Tina,

          Thanks for the answers to my problem. I quess the question is since I
          have done this same routine with about 10 identical files why do only
          2 of them appear as described? Oh well, I see the problem and will
          follow your suggestions.

          Thanks,

          Don
        • Tina Clarke
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 9, 2005
            ----->
            > Thanks for the answers to my problem. I quess the question is since I
            > have done this same routine with about 10 identical files why do only
            > 2 of them appear as described? Oh well, I see the problem and will
            > follow your suggestions.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Don

            For that bit of coding I'm not sure but ... all of the pages will contain
            word code .. which is bad for the page load.

            Tina