Re: [Friesland-genealogy] Kamstra-Bangma (very short)

  • Onno Elgersma
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4, 2002
      Christina,
      The name of the small town about 4 km south of Sneek is in Dutch "IJlst" and
      in Frisian "Drylts". There is no reason to spell "IJlst" as "Ylst", why
      should a Dutch name be spelled according to Frisian spelling rules? This
      would be as wrong as spelling Drylts as Drielts, using the Dutch spelling
      rules for a Frisian word. Realize also that changing the spelling of your
      maiden name from IJlst into Ylst changes also the pronunciation and Ylst has
      nothing to do with that small town south of Sneek.

      Groeten,

      Onno Elgersma