Re: [Friesland-genealogy] Kamstra-Bangma (very short)

  • roelof varkevisser
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2002
      Christina,

      It wasn't me who prepared the email, it was Erik, so you have to thank him.

      Roelof

      > Roelof,
      > Thanks for all the trouble you went through preparing this E-mail. I
      appreciate it!
      > The Kamstra name was in my genealogy which was copied from relatives who
      did a lot of research in Friesland. I suppose there was quite a bit of
      confusion when everyone had to get a last name. Possibly other last names
      were used before 1811. Supposedly all this information was found in the
      original records, especially the information which has a full date and
      place. It is very possible the Kamstra name was used before 1811. The only
      way to find out is to search the original records to find out where the
      information came from. Thanks again for your help!
      > Christina Sigman

    • christina sigman
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2002
        Eric,
        Mistakingly I thanked Roelof for the extensive E-mail, although he has helped me a lot in the past. I appreciate the time and effort it took to sent me that E-mail. I have had some very expert research done on my lines and some not so good. I may never be able to straighten it all out but I keep trying. Thanks again!
        Christina Sigman
        --

        On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 00:08:53
        roelof varkevisser wrote:
        >Christina,
        >
        >It wasn't me who prepared the email, it was Erik, so you have to thank him.
        >
        >Roelof
        >
        >> Roelof,
        >> Thanks for all the trouble you went through preparing this E-mail. I
        >appreciate it!
        >> The Kamstra name was in my genealogy which was copied from relatives who
        >did a lot of research in Friesland. I suppose there was quite a bit of
        >confusion when everyone had to get a last name. Possibly other last names
        >were used before 1811. Supposedly all this information was found in the
        >original records, especially the information which has a full date and
        >place. It is very possible the Kamstra name was used before 1811. The only
        >way to find out is to search the original records to find out where the
        >information came from. Thanks again for your help!
        >> Christina Sigman

        See Dave Matthews Band live or win a signed guitar
        http://r.lycos.com/r/bmgfly_mail_dmb/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020201/splash.asp
      • Erik Oosterwal
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2002
          christina sigman wrote:

          > Eric,
          > Mistakingly I thanked Roelof for the extensive E-mail, although he has
          > helped me a lot in the past. I appreciate the time and effort it took
          > to sent me that E-mail. I have had some very expert research done on
          > my lines and some not so good. I may never be able to straighten it
          > all out but I keep trying. Thanks again!
          > Christina Sigman

          No problem. With all the help I've received from others over the years,
          I figure it's the right thing to do to help out in return. Besides, I
          can't put down a puzzle, and the Kamstra / Bangma thing got me very
          curious.

          Have you had a chance to check out the online archives?
          --
          +----------------------------------------------------------+ EADGBE
          | Erik Oosterwal - Data Acquisition Engineer | ||O||| 6
          | oosteep @ sjtc whirlpool com | |O|O|| 7
          | http://www.geocities.com/oosterwal | ||||O| 8
          | My views may not coincide with the views of my employer. | |||||| 9
          +----------------------------------------------------------+ E7#9
        • christina sigman
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2002
            --

            On Wed, 03 Apr 2002 09:48:10
            Erik Oosterwal wrote:
            >christina sigman wrote:
            >>
            >> Eric,
            >> Mistakingly I thanked Roelof for the extensive E-mail, although he has
            >> helped me a lot in the past. I appreciate the time and effort it took
            >> to sent me that E-mail. I have had some very expert research done on
            >> my lines and some not so good. I may never be able to straighten it
            >> all out but I keep trying. Thanks again!
            >> Christina Sigman
            >
            >No problem. With all the help I've received from others over the years,
            >I figure it's the right thing to do to help out in return. Besides, I
            >can't put down a puzzle, and the Kamstra / Bangma thing got me very
            >curious.
            >
            >Have you had a chance to check out the online archives?
            >--
            >+
            Eric,
            I am very new doing research on the internet. For the last 30 years have been an Accredited Genealogist for the Netherlands which caused me to spent most of my time doing mostly research for others in the records of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah. The research for my own genealogy was mostly done by my family up to about a few years ago when I semi retired and now spent most of my time on my own genealogy. It is difficult taking over records which have not all been verified. I understand that most of the online archives are copied from the original ones and can still have some errors in them. I no longer have a chance to visit the Family History Library mentioned, since I am moving to Southern Utah but hopefully will get skilled in using the online archives. Thank you for your interest! By the way my maiden name is Ylst or IJlst, my father was born in de Lemmer. I still do not know the original spelling of my maiden name. I always thought it was IJlst but ac
            cording to some of the messages I have read the Friese spelling is Ylst. Possibly someone who knows can advise me!
            Christina Sigman

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2002
              christina sigman wrote:

              > Eric,
              > I am very new doing research on the internet. For the last 30 years
              > have been an Accredited Genealogist for the Netherlands which caused
              > me to spent most of my time doing mostly research for others in the
              > records of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah. The
              > research for my own genealogy was mostly done by my family up to about
              > a few years ago when I semi retired and now spent most of my time on
              > my own genealogy. It is difficult taking over records which have not
              > all been verified. I understand that most of the online archives are
              > copied from the original ones and can still have some errors in them.
              > I no longer have a chance to visit the Family History Library
              > mentioned, since I am moving to Southern Utah but hopefully will get
              > skilled in using the online archives. Thank you for your interest! By
              > the way my maiden name is Ylst or IJlst, my father was born in de
              > Lemmer. I still do not know the original spelling of my maiden name. I
              > always thought it was IJlst but ac
              > cording to some of the messages I have read the Friese spelling is
              > Ylst. Possibly someone who knows can advise me!
              > Christina Sigman

              That's very interesting. One of my favorite sites before finding
              ryksargyf.org was http://www.cyndislist.com/ . It's a huge collection
              of links to online genealogy resources (not just dutch). The other
              online site I like to use is
              http://www-lias.rad.archief.nl/genlias/ara/logon?cid=-1 (I hope this
              link works for you). It includes the other provinces besides
              Friesland. You have to register to use it, but registration is free.

              There are other online resources for researching dutch names but they
              don't seem to be nearly as good as the Frisian archives.

              Even though you're moving to southern Utah, between the online index at
              http://www.familysearch.org/ and the Family Research Center at your
              local Mormon Tabernacle, you should be able to get what you had before.
              The main LDS genealogy center will ship the microfiche spools and cards
              to the center of your choice, where you have two weeks to look at them
              before they have to go back. The last time I did that, I was informed
              that if one local center requests a spool or set of cards three times,
              then that microfiche gets a permanent home in the local canter.

              I might be mistaken, but the letter Y and the combination of IJ is the
              same character. If you write a lower case ij it looks just like ÿ (a
              lower case y with two dots above it), especially if you do it in
              italics.

              If you are interested, I can also send you some links to places that
              have old maps of the Netherlands.

              Erik.
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2002
                --

                On Wed, 03 Apr 2002 18:10:27
                Erik Oosterwal wrote:
                >christina sigman wrote:
                >>
                >> Eric,
                >> I am very new doing research on the internet. For the last 30 years
                >> have been an Accredited Genealogist for the Netherlands which caused
                >> me to spent most of my time doing mostly research for others in the
                >> records of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah. The
                >> research for my own genealogy was mostly done by my family up to about
                >> a few years ago when I semi retired and now spent most of my time on
                >> my own genealogy. It is difficult taking over records which have not
                >> all been verified. I understand that most of the online archives are
                >> copied from the original ones and can still have some errors in them.
                >> I no longer have a chance to visit the Family History Library
                >> mentioned, since I am moving to Southern Utah but hopefully will get
                >> skilled in using the online archives. Thank you for your interest! By
                >> the way my maiden name is Ylst or IJlst, my father was born in de
                >> Lemmer. I still do not know the original spelling of my maiden name. I
                >> always thought it was IJlst but ac
                >> cording to some of the messages I have read the Friese spelling is
                >> Ylst. Possibly someone who knows can advise me!
                >> Christina Sigman
                >
                >That's very interesting. One of my favorite sites before finding
                >ryksargyf.org was http://www.cyndislist.com/ . It's a huge collection
                >of links to online genealogy resources (not just dutch). The other
                >online site I like to use is
                >http://www-lias.rad.archief.nl/genlias/ara/logon?cid=-1 (I hope this
                >link works for you). It includes the other provinces besides
                >Friesland. You have to register to use it, but registration is free.
                >
                >There are other online resources for researching dutch names but they
                >don't seem to be nearly as good as the Frisian archives.
                >
                >Even though you're moving to southern Utah, between the online index at
                >http://www.familysearch.org/ and the Family Research Center at your
                >local Mormon Tabernacle, you should be able to get what you had before.
                >The main LDS genealogy center will ship the microfiche spools and cards
                >to the center of your choice, where you have two weeks to look at them
                >before they have to go back. The last time I did that, I was informed
                >that if one local center requests a spool or set of cards three times,
                >then that microfiche gets a permanent home in the local canter.
                >
                >I might be mistaken, but the letter Y and the combination of IJ is the
                >same character. If you write a lower case ij it looks just like � (a
                >lower case y with two dots above it), especially if you do it in
                >italics.
                >
                >If you are interested, I can also send you some links to places that
                >have old maps of the Netherlands.
                >
                >Erik.
                >-
                Erik,
                Thanks for all your advise and web sites. I have printed your E-mail and will use it as a reference. I bought the printed book of Cindy's list, but have not yet used it much. There is so much I have to learn to use the internet effectively.
                I have been spoiled having all the materials available in the Family History Library where I use on an average of 20 to 30 microfilms a day. Tried the branches, however not all the films ordered usually come at the same time and it is quite costly. Hopefully I am not discouraging anyone from using the branch libraries, it is very useful for many people all over the world. Have volunteered my time in some of the branch libraries. They serve a good purpose.
                I would be interested in finding the links to places having old maps of the Netherlands.
                The original records will more than likely have the answer to the puzzle of Kamstra-Bangma!
                Christina Sigman
                -
                >+----------------------------------------------------------+ EADGBE
                >| Erik Oosterwal - Data Acquisition Engineer | ||O||| 6
                >| oosteep @ sjtc whirlpool com | |O|O|| 7
                >| http://www.geocities.com/oosterwal | ||||O| 8
                >| My views may not coincide with the views of my employer. | |||||| 9
                >+----------------------------------------------------------+ E7#9

                See Dave Matthews Band live or win a signed guitar
                http://r.lycos.com/r/bmgfly_mail_dmb/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020201/splash.asp
              • Onno Elgersma
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 4, 2002
                  Christina,
                  The name of the small town about 4 km south of Sneek is in Dutch "IJlst" and
                  in Frisian "Drylts". There is no reason to spell "IJlst" as "Ylst", why
                  should a Dutch name be spelled according to Frisian spelling rules? This
                  would be as wrong as spelling Drylts as Drielts, using the Dutch spelling
                  rules for a Frisian word. Realize also that changing the spelling of your
                  maiden name from IJlst into Ylst changes also the pronunciation and Ylst has
                  nothing to do with that small town south of Sneek.

                  Groeten,

                  Onno Elgersma