Tuinstra

  • radevries1
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2002
      Dear Friends,

      I am helping a coworker trace down his grandparents from Friesland,
      but the birth records are not available on-line after 1902. His
      father was Hendrik Ekke Tuinstra born 14 Feb 1920 somewhere in
      Friesland. He went to college in Groningen and emmigrated to Grand
      Rapids Michigan where he died in 1988. His grandmothers surname was
      van der Tuin. How can my friend find the names of his grandparents?
      Can he write to some provincial office to obtain the civil birth
      record of his father without knowing the specific birth location in
      Friesland? Is there another way to search for this record? I have
      both of these family names in my family tree, but nearly 100 years
      earlier. I am not finding any records on Ekke Tuinstra or
      Tuinstra/van der Tuin marriages either. I'm sure I can search the
      earlier records once I have the parents and general location.

      Please reply in English if possible. My ability to read Dutch is very
      limited, although I am trying to learn. Thanks in advance.

      Robert A. de Vries
      Midland, Michigan
      radevries1@...
    • Jim Steinfort
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2002
        Robert:

        I had the same problem and found my solution when I emailed a gentleman in
        the Netherlands from a genealogy website and he gave me the following
        internet location that provides births, marriages, and deaths from 1811 to
        1924 for Friesland. It is as follows:

        http://www.ryksargyhf.org/nl/Onderzoek/Stamboom/stamboom.htm

        gerbooten = births
        huwelijken = marriages
        overlijdens = deaths

        This is a terrific site and should be able to answer all your questions. It
        was a wonderful discovery for me and my family as they are all from
        Friesland as well. My family settled in Holland, Michigan area and in
        Southern Michigan.
        Hope this helps you.

        Best wishes,
        Jim Steinfort
[...]

        Het archief van deze Hazagebruikers-lijst met daarin alle sinds 8 juli 1999
        geposte berichten staat op http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Friesland-genealogy

      • Frank and Annechien
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2002
          Jim and Robert:

          Slight correction on the URL, as there is no h in ryksargyf (=Fries voor
          Rijks Archief = Dutch for State Archive)
          Go to: http://www.ryksargyf.org/nl/ryksargyf.asp
          then select Onderzoek (research)
          then Stamboom onderzoek
          geboorten = births
          huwelijken = marriages
          overlijdens = deaths
          Some of the other links on this page may also provide useful info.

          Another very helpful site for Fries research is the webmaster's, Andrys
          Stienstra's site:
          http://members1.chello.nl/~a.stienstra/frgen/nederl.htm

          Hope this helps,

          Frank van Thienen
          Vernon, BC Canada
          Using The Master Genealogist,
          researching: van Thienen, Zwaga, Runia, van der Laan
          and a bunch more