Re: Re: Church records for Rijs?

  • Hilbrand de Bruijn
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 16, 2000
      Dear Trudy and Rod,

      I regret I am not familiar with the areas covered by the churches in the
      surrounding villages of Rijs. I presume your search concerns the pre-1811
      period. Much depends of course of the specific religion (dutch reformed?
      mennonite?). Hemelum, although farther away than Bakhuizen, may also be
      taken into consideration (as was suggested by one of your other
      respondents).
      The civil records after 1811 can be found at the site of the Frisian
      Ryksargyf (marriages and deceases only), as pointed out by yet another
      respondent. Records of assuming family names also are available at the site
      of the Ryksargyf (specific link).
      The suggestion that Rijs lies between Oudemirdum and Nijenirdum is not true.
      I''ll try to send you part of a detailed map of the region by separate
      e-mail.

      Met vriendelijke groet,
      Hilbrand de Bruijn
      e-mail: hilbranddebruijn@...