Translation Needed

  • rwrr00a
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2012
      Can someone translate this to English? It is from the 16th to last paragraph at the web site: http://www.historischcentrumleeuwarden.nl/html/nl/791/Leeuwarder_straatnamen_-_binnenstad

      "De huidige Ritsumastraat is in de plaats gekomen van het iets noordelijker gelegen, in 1959 geheel afgebroken Ritsumastraatje (1646 Ritsmasteige, 1648 Ritsmastraet, 1749 Ritsmastraatje, 1760 Ritsumerstraatje, 1829 Ritzumastraatje). In 1644 kocht Jacobus Ritsma een huisinge ende plaetse in de Hoffstrate ofte Droevendal ende een schoone hovinge ende somerhuys achter de Galeister Kerckstraet; door de hof rooide hij een straat en bouwde daaraan tien éénkamerwoningen, die in 1646 en '47 verkocht werden."
    • Bonnie Wilson
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 2012
        Go to:
        http://www.google.com/
        on the top, click more, then translate........you can copy the text and paste it into the box there.....

        Bonnie Wilson

        "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

        ________________________________
        "De huidige Ritsumastraat is in de plaats gekomen van het iets noordelijker gelegen, in 1959 geheel afgebroken Ritsumastraatje (1646 Ritsmasteige, 1648 Ritsmastraet, 1749 Ritsmastraatje, 1760 Ritsumerstraatje, 1829 Ritzumastraatje). In 1644 kocht Jacobus Ritsma een huisinge ende plaetse in de Hoffstrate ofte Droevendal ende een schoone hovinge ende somerhuys achter de Galeister Kerckstraet; door de hof rooide hij een straat en bouwde daaraan tien éénkamerwoningen, die in 1646 en '47 verkocht werden."

      • wouter onrust
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2012
          The current Ritsumastraat has taken the place of the slightly more northerly in 1959 completely demolished Ritsumastraatje (1646 Ritsmasteige, 1648 Ritsmastraet, 1749 Ritsma Lane, 1760 Ritsumerstraatje, 1829 Ritzumastraatje). In 1644 James Ritsma bought a house in the Hoffstrate or Droevendal with a nice garden and summerhouse behind the Galeister Kerckstraet; in the garden he built a street with ten single-room houses, which were sold in 1646 and '47.

          To: Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2012
            Dear ?,

            "The current Ritsumastraat has replaced the Ritsumastraatje (aka 1646
            Ritsmasteige, 1648 Ritsmastraet, 1749 Ritsmastraatje, 1760 Ritsumerstraatje,
            1829 Ritzumastraatje) which was located slightly more to the north and which
            was torn down completely in 1959.

            In 1644 Jacobus Ritsma bought a house and farm in the Hoffstrate aka
            Droevendal and a beautiful farm and summer house behind the Galeister
            Kerckstraet; he dug a street through the yard and built 10 ten single-room
            houses [along that street], which were sold in 1646 and '47."

            Kind regards,

            Nynke van den Hooven

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2012
              Bonmnie,

              Part of the tekst is archaic Dutch, which will not translate through google/translate.

              Kind regards,

              Nynke van den Hooven.

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 6, 2012
                I was trying to help.....
                Thanks!

                Bonnie Roersma-Wilson

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 7, 2012
                  Thank you so much, Nynke. Yes, neither Google nor Microsoft translators could handle this one. Jacobus Ritsema, was a sibling of my direct ancestor. P.J. Ritsema's genealogy speculated that the houses were inherited from Jacobus Ritsema's grandfather. Your translation tells me Jacobus bought property, developed it and sold 10 one-room houses (maybe aprtments?) Jacobus was a painter (artist) who had some dealings with Rembrandt. Thanks again. John J Ritsema