Mennonite church

  • exdutchy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2012
      I have several lines who were members of the Mennonite church. Ik heb datqa wanneer ze werden aangenomen of zelfs gedoopt op een later tijdstip. Is er een regel waaruit ik kan opmaken wanneer ze zijn geboren?Bijv 21 jaar voor de doopdatum? Gaarne een antwoord.
      Groetjes van Catherine
    • klaaspera
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2012
        Hello Catherine,

        It is extremely difficult to determine the exact birth date of a Mennonite church member. Very often their birth date simply cannot be found, since they are baptized at an adult age. There is no specific age for their Mennonite adult baptism (usually somewhere between 20 and 40). The only solution is to reconstruct their estimated birth date by taking the age of death.

        With kind regards,

        Klaas Pera

        --- In Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "exdutchy" <catstuy@...> wrote:

        > I have several lines who were members of the Mennonite church. Ik heb datqa wanneer ze werden aangenomen of zelfs gedoopt op een later tijdstip. Is er een regel waaruit ik kan opmaken wanneer ze zijn geboren?Bijv 21 jaar voor de doopdatum? Gaarne een antwoord.
        > Groetjes van Catherine

      • Nynke
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2012
          Hi Catherine,

          Coming from from a Mennonite background I went to "cathechisatie" at about the age of 12, 13 (in order to prepare for a choice). In my time (1970s) it would have been a "logical" step to be baptised at about the age of 21 (i.e. the age at which you would become of age in that era).
          In earlier days that may also have been the case, which means you would have to find out at what age someone would be considered being "of age".

          Kind regards,
          Nynke van den Hooven