Re: [Friesland-genealogy] translation help

  • edagter
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
      Relatiebeheerder = accountmanager
      groepsbegeleider, could also be a person who works in a institution where
      the disabled are living in groups.
      and this is more likely than tourguide.
      Uitvoerder= manager on a contruction site.

      regards from Ed

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
        Paul,

        I'd like to add something to the translations of Ebbel Brands.
        Landgebruiker is the one using the land distinct from the land owner.
        Gymnastiekleraar: gym teacher
        Groepsbegeleider could be a tour guide but it might be also a person having
        the supervision on a group of patients in a mental hospital or related
        institutions.
        Relatiebeheerder: employee of an insurance company controlling the contacts
        of the company with the clients.
        Technisch ambtenaar PTT: PTT did not only include the postal services but
        also telephone services.
        Uitvoerder is the lowest boss in the building trade, the man that does not
        work.
        Wagenwasser: probably an employee of the Railway Company washing carriages.

        Groeten,
        Onno Elgersma

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
          Dear Paul,

          Here is my best shot, hope it helps. I'm sure you will get other responses as
          well.

          landgebruiker (crop farmer?)= lit.landuser; ?renter/tenant farmer
          planner (too obvious?)= dito
          broodventer (bread...?)= bread peddler (house to house)
          barhouder = lit. barkeeper; publican
          gymnastierkleraar= gymnteacher
          groepsbegeleider (tour guide?) possibly. =lit. groupleader;
          verpakkingsoperator = packer
          boeknouder = lit. book-keeper; accountant
          relatiebeheerder = lit. relations supervisor; I think we would just say
          manager/supervisor
          technisch ambetenaar PTT= technical worker/technician at PTT (telecommunicatios
          company)
          wagenwasser (wagon washer?) I guess so, or carwash operator/carwasher?

          woonde samen van Mei 1982 t/m 1989 te Amsterdam, lit. lived together (as man and
          wife) i.e common-law relationship
          kantmelding d.d. Leeuwarden = lit. marginal notice, but I have no iadea what is
          meant by this
          uitvoeder bij de Gemeente , should be uitvoerder; uitvoeren=(I think) perform,
          produce, give out- thus ??spokesperson

          Keimpe
        • nynkevandenhooven@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
            The expression "Kantmelding" can be found in the margin of Birth -,
            Death - or Marriage Certificates.
            A "Uitvoerder bij de Gemeente" is definitely not a spokesman, but an
            operational manager employed by a Municipality.

            Regards,
            Nynke.

            <<<<<<<<<<<<<

          • ken.veldhuis@lrcc.on.ca
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
              Thanks Nynke. You are a fountain of information, a great resource for all of us.

              Keimpe

              nynkevandenhooven@... on 2001/08/01 10:00:20 AM

              Please respond to Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com

              To: Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com