Re: [Friesland-genealogy] translation help

  • ebbel brands
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2001
      landgebruiker= farmer
      planner= planner (more details would help)
      broodventer= breadseller (used to be delivered door to door)
      barhouder= barkeeper
      gymnastiekleraar= phys ed teacher
      groepsbegeleider= could be tourguide
      verpakkingsoperator= packing operator
      houtbewerker= anyone who works with wood
      boekhouder= bookkeeper
      relatiebeheerder= ?
      technisch ambtenaar ptt= technician for the postal service
      wagenwasser= car wash operator?

      living together from may 1982 until 1989 in Amsterdam

      kantmelding= note in the margin

      uitvoeder? perhaps uitvoerder?= someone who does something, in this case for the municipality.

    • edagter
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
        Relatiebeheerder = accountmanager
        groepsbegeleider, could also be a person who works in a institution where
        the disabled are living in groups.
        and this is more likely than tourguide.
        Uitvoerder= manager on a contruction site.

        regards from Ed

        > planner= planner (more details would help)
        > broodventer= breadseller (used to be delivered door to door)
        > barhouder= barkeeper
        > gymnastiekleraar= phys ed teacher
        > groepsbegeleider= could be tourguide
        > verpakkingsoperator= packing operator
        > houtbewerker= anyone who works with wood
        > boekhouder= bookkeeper
        > relatiebeheerder= ?
        > technisch ambtenaar ptt= technician for the postal service
        > wagenwasser= car wash operator?
        >
        > living together from may 1982 until 1989 in Amsterdam
        >
        > kantmelding= note in the margin
        >
        > uitvoeder? perhaps uitvoerder?= someone who does something, in this case
        for the municipality.

        > Genealogy yn Fryslân: http://members1.chello.nl/~a.stienstra/frgen/
        > of: http://go.to/frgen .
        >
        > Het archief van deze Hazagebruikers-lijst met daarin alle sinds 8 juli
        1999 geposte berichten staat op

        > Om uw abonnement te beëindigen stuurt u een (leeg) email-bericht naar:

      • Onno Elgersma
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
          Paul,

          I'd like to add something to the translations of Ebbel Brands.
          Landgebruiker is the one using the land distinct from the land owner.
          Gymnastiekleraar: gym teacher
          Groepsbegeleider could be a tour guide but it might be also a person having
          the supervision on a group of patients in a mental hospital or related
          institutions.
          Relatiebeheerder: employee of an insurance company controlling the contacts
          of the company with the clients.
          Technisch ambtenaar PTT: PTT did not only include the postal services but
          also telephone services.
          Uitvoerder is the lowest boss in the building trade, the man that does not
          work.
          Wagenwasser: probably an employee of the Railway Company washing carriages.

          Groeten,
          Onno Elgersma

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
            Dear Paul,

            Here is my best shot, hope it helps. I'm sure you will get other responses as
            well.

            landgebruiker (crop farmer?)= lit.landuser; ?renter/tenant farmer
            planner (too obvious?)= dito
            broodventer (bread...?)= bread peddler (house to house)
            barhouder = lit. barkeeper; publican
            gymnastierkleraar= gymnteacher
            groepsbegeleider (tour guide?) possibly. =lit. groupleader;
            verpakkingsoperator = packer
            boeknouder = lit. book-keeper; accountant
            relatiebeheerder = lit. relations supervisor; I think we would just say
            manager/supervisor
            technisch ambetenaar PTT= technical worker/technician at PTT (telecommunicatios
            company)
            wagenwasser (wagon washer?) I guess so, or carwash operator/carwasher?

            woonde samen van Mei 1982 t/m 1989 te Amsterdam, lit. lived together (as man and
            wife) i.e common-law relationship
            kantmelding d.d. Leeuwarden = lit. marginal notice, but I have no iadea what is
            meant by this
            uitvoeder bij de Gemeente , should be uitvoerder; uitvoeren=(I think) perform,
            produce, give out- thus ??spokesperson

            Keimpe
          • nynkevandenhooven@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
              The expression "Kantmelding" can be found in the margin of Birth -,
              Death - or Marriage Certificates.
              A "Uitvoerder bij de Gemeente" is definitely not a spokesman, but an
              operational manager employed by a Municipality.

              Regards,
              Nynke.

              <<<<<<<<<<<<<

            • ken.veldhuis@lrcc.on.ca
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
                Thanks Nynke. You are a fountain of information, a great resource for all of us.

                Keimpe

                nynkevandenhooven@... on 2001/08/01 10:00:20 AM

                Please respond to Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com

                To: Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com