translation help

  • Paul Heerema
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2001
      Hello everyone,

      I hate to do this but I just translated and typed 63 pages of my family tree
      over the last couple of weeks, I still can't get in contact with my distant
      dutch cousin, and I need help translating several things. Most of them are
      occupations, if someone doesn't mind helping me out I'd appreciate it.

      landgebruiker (crop farmer?)
      planner (too obvious?)
      broodventer (bread...?)
      barhouder
      gymnastierkleraar
      groepsbegeleider (tour guide?)
      verpakkingsoperator
      houtbewerker
      boeknouder
      relatiebeheerder
      technisch ambetenaar PTT
      wagenwasser (wagon washer?)

      woonde samen van Mei 1982 t/m 1989 te Amsterdam
      kantmelding d.d. Leeuwarden
      uitvoeder bij de Gemeente

      Dank u wel (Thank you very very much!)

      Paul Heerema

    • ebbel brands
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31, 2001
        landgebruiker= farmer
        planner= planner (more details would help)
        broodventer= breadseller (used to be delivered door to door)
        barhouder= barkeeper
        gymnastiekleraar= phys ed teacher
        groepsbegeleider= could be tourguide
        verpakkingsoperator= packing operator
        houtbewerker= anyone who works with wood
        boekhouder= bookkeeper
        relatiebeheerder= ?
        technisch ambtenaar ptt= technician for the postal service
        wagenwasser= car wash operator?

        living together from may 1982 until 1989 in Amsterdam

        kantmelding= note in the margin

        uitvoeder? perhaps uitvoerder?= someone who does something, in this case for the municipality.

      • edagter
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1 2:12 AM
          Relatiebeheerder = accountmanager
          groepsbegeleider, could also be a person who works in a institution where
          the disabled are living in groups.
          and this is more likely than tourguide.
          Uitvoerder= manager on a contruction site.

          regards from Ed

          > planner= planner (more details would help)
          > broodventer= breadseller (used to be delivered door to door)
          > barhouder= barkeeper
          > gymnastiekleraar= phys ed teacher
          > groepsbegeleider= could be tourguide
          > verpakkingsoperator= packing operator
          > houtbewerker= anyone who works with wood
          > boekhouder= bookkeeper
          > relatiebeheerder= ?
          > technisch ambtenaar ptt= technician for the postal service
          > wagenwasser= car wash operator?
          >
          > living together from may 1982 until 1989 in Amsterdam
          >
          > kantmelding= note in the margin
          >
          > uitvoeder? perhaps uitvoerder?= someone who does something, in this case
          for the municipality.

          > Genealogy yn Fryslân: http://members1.chello.nl/~a.stienstra/frgen/
          > of: http://go.to/frgen .
          >
          > Het archief van deze Hazagebruikers-lijst met daarin alle sinds 8 juli
          1999 geposte berichten staat op

          > Om uw abonnement te beëindigen stuurt u een (leeg) email-bericht naar:

        • Onno Elgersma
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1 2:23 AM
            Paul,

            I'd like to add something to the translations of Ebbel Brands.
            Landgebruiker is the one using the land distinct from the land owner.
            Gymnastiekleraar: gym teacher
            Groepsbegeleider could be a tour guide but it might be also a person having
            the supervision on a group of patients in a mental hospital or related
            institutions.
            Relatiebeheerder: employee of an insurance company controlling the contacts
            of the company with the clients.
            Technisch ambtenaar PTT: PTT did not only include the postal services but
            also telephone services.
            Uitvoerder is the lowest boss in the building trade, the man that does not
            work.
            Wagenwasser: probably an employee of the Railway Company washing carriages.

            Groeten,
            Onno Elgersma

            geposte berichten staat op http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Friesland-genealogy

          • ken.veldhuis@lrcc.on.ca
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1 6:31 AM
              Dear Paul,

              Here is my best shot, hope it helps. I'm sure you will get other responses as
              well.

              landgebruiker (crop farmer?)= lit.landuser; ?renter/tenant farmer
              planner (too obvious?)= dito
              broodventer (bread...?)= bread peddler (house to house)
              barhouder = lit. barkeeper; publican
              gymnastierkleraar= gymnteacher
              groepsbegeleider (tour guide?) possibly. =lit. groupleader;
              verpakkingsoperator = packer
              boeknouder = lit. book-keeper; accountant
              relatiebeheerder = lit. relations supervisor; I think we would just say
              manager/supervisor
              technisch ambetenaar PTT= technical worker/technician at PTT (telecommunicatios
              company)
              wagenwasser (wagon washer?) I guess so, or carwash operator/carwasher?

              woonde samen van Mei 1982 t/m 1989 te Amsterdam, lit. lived together (as man and
              wife) i.e common-law relationship
              kantmelding d.d. Leeuwarden = lit. marginal notice, but I have no iadea what is
              meant by this
              uitvoeder bij de Gemeente , should be uitvoerder; uitvoeren=(I think) perform,
              produce, give out- thus ??spokesperson

              Keimpe
            • nynkevandenhooven@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1 7:00 AM
                The expression "Kantmelding" can be found in the margin of Birth -,
                Death - or Marriage Certificates.
                A "Uitvoerder bij de Gemeente" is definitely not a spokesman, but an
                operational manager employed by a Municipality.

                Regards,
                Nynke.

                <<<<<<<<<<<<<

              • ken.veldhuis@lrcc.on.ca
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 1 9:46 AM
                  Thanks Nynke. You are a fountain of information, a great resource for all of us.

                  Keimpe

                  nynkevandenhooven@... on 2001/08/01 10:00:20 AM

                  Please respond to Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com

                  To: Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com