RE: [Friesland-genealogy] Visser Family

  • blauwe- parel
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2011
      Hi Will,

      Do you have more information such as names of his children, siblings, and may be a place of birth, or at least a province?
      When did he/they come to the USA?
      And how was the name Fisher original spelled?

      Margaret

      To: Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      From: will.john@...
      Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 14:03:08 +0000
      Subject: [Friesland-genealogy] Visser Family

      Greetings,

      I"m currently researching the family of Andrew A. Fisher who died in Muskegon, Michigan USA on 6 November 1897. His death certificate gives his father as Arres/Annes Fisher and his mother as Grietje Unknown. He was 57 years old at the time of his death which gives him a birthdate of 1839/1840. Andrew's first appearance in Muskegon is his marriage on 11 December 1875 to Delia (Dewerke) Voogd.

      Any suggestions on connecting him to his parents?

      Thanks,

      Will

    • Will John
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 3, 2011
        Hello Margaret,

        The information that I had received was that Andrew was a grandson in the family of Pieter Aands Visser and Martje Martens Blink.

        Pieter being born in Stavoren in Feb. 1786, Martje being born in Uithuizen, Groningen in March 1786.  They were married in Uithuizen in Dec. 1815.   When I compiled this family group, it became apparent that Andrew was not a descendent of Pieter Aands Visser and Martje Martens Blink.   Following Pieter's death, Martje and her grown sons/daughters emigrated to the US in 1848, aboard the "Angelique", one of the ships associated with the settlement of the original colony of Holland, Michigan.

        Andrew marries in Muskegon, Muskegon, Michigan on 11 December 1875 , his name is recorded as "Ira Fisher" to Dewerke Voogd .  The Voogd family is from Warffum, Groningen.

        There is no mention of Andrew in the 1870 US Census for Muskegon or the surrounding areas of Ottawa, Kent and Allegan counties (where the Dutch settlements were).  Andrew and Delia appear in the 1880 US Census in Muskegon - where his name is recorded as "Arean", he is listed in the City Directories as Andrew or A. A. Fisher for the years 1879 thru 1896.  His occupation as baker (Dewerke's father was also a baker).

        He dies 6 Nov. 1897 - the death record gives his father as Annes Fisher and his mother as Grietje.     This is the only information about his parents.

        His obituary gives his name as A. A. Fisher - no details about his arrival in Muskegon, leaving the Netherlands, etc.

        I focused on Friesland, because of the name Annes and the possible connection to the Pieter Aands Visser family - where Ares, Anne, etc. seem to be found.

        I know of no siblings or any other details of his family.  He and Dewerke (Delia) have 8 children, 5 of whom surivive ( in bold print) into adulthood.  John, John, Katherine, Jennie, Annie, Joseph, Ella and Annie.

        I'm taking a "shot in the dark" - looking for a possible connection.

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 4, 2011
          Hi,

          Based on the name Arean I believe the most likely candidate is this one:

          Births Barradeel, 1831
          Arjen Visser, born 26 september 1831
          Son of Ane Ales Visser and Geertje Arjens Hiemstra

          I couldn't find his death in the Netherlands, which supports the idea
          that he emigrated.

          Best,
          Rogier Visser (not family)

          On 4 November 2011 01:54, Will John <will.john@...> wrote:

          > Hello Margaret,
          >
          > The information that I had received was that Andrew was a grandson in the family of Pieter Aands Visser and Martje Martens Blink.
          >
          > Pieter being born in Stavoren in Feb. 1786, Martje being born in Uithuizen, Groningen in March 1786.  They were married in Uithuizen in Dec. 1815.   When I compiled this family group, it became apparent that Andrew was not a descendent of Pieter Aands Visser and Martje Martens Blink.   Following Pieter's death, Martje and her grown sons/daughters emigrated to the US in 1848, aboard the "Angelique", one of the ships associated with the settlement of the original colony of Holland, Michigan.
          >
          > Andrew marries in Muskegon, Muskegon, Michigan on 11 December 1875 , his name is recorded as "Ira Fisher" to Dewerke Voogd .  The Voogd family is from Warffum, Groningen.
          >
          > There is no mention of Andrew in the 1870 US Census for Muskegon or the surrounding areas of Ottawa, Kent and Allegan counties (where the Dutch settlements were).  Andrew and Delia appear in the 1880 US Census in Muskegon - where his name is recorded as "Arean", he is listed in the City Directories as Andrew or A. A. Fisher for the years 1879 thru 1896.  His occupation as baker (Dewerke's father was also a baker).
          >
          > He dies 6 Nov. 1897 - the death record gives his father as Annes Fisher and his mother as Grietje.     This is the only information about his parents.
          >
          > His obituary gives his name as A. A. Fisher - no details about his arrival in Muskegon, leaving the Netherlands, etc.
          >
          > I focused on Friesland, because of the name Annes and the possible connection to the Pieter Aands Visser family - where Ares, Anne, etc. seem to be found.
          >
          > I know of no siblings or any other details of his family.  He and Dewerke (Delia) have 8 children, 5 of whom surivive ( in bold print) into adulthood.  John, John, Katherine, Jennie, Annie, Joseph, Ella and Annie.
          >
          > I'm taking a "shot in the dark" - looking for a possible connection.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Will

        • klaaspera
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 4, 2011
            Hello Will,

            Arean Fisher, also known as Andrew A. Fisher, must have been born between 1839 and 1841. According to the usually very accurate American census of 1880 (see below) he was born about 1841, whereas his age of death was 57 (= year of birth 1840).

            Name: Arean Fisher
            Home in 1880: Muskegon, Muskegon, Michigan
            Age: 39
            Estimated Birth Year: abt 1841
            Birthplace: Holland
            Relation to Head of Household: Self (Head)
            Spouse's Name: Dilla Fisher
            Father's birthplace: Holland
            Mother's birthplace: Holland
            Neighbors: View others on page

            Occupation: Baker
            Marital Status: Married
            Race: White
            Gender: Male
            Cannot read/write:

            Blind:

            Deaf and dumb:

            Otherwise disabled:

            Idiotic or insane:
            Subscribe now to see this information.

            Household Members: Name Age
            Arean Fisher 39
            Dilla Fisher 19
            John Fisher 3
            Eddie Fisher 1
            Cornelius Schoonvierd 25

            Source Citation: Year: 1880; Census Place: Muskegon, Muskegon, Michigan; Roll: 597; Family History Film: 1254597; Page: 203B; Enumeration District: 192; Image: 0719.

            Bron:
            http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=0&msT=1&gss=angs-g&gsfn=arean&gsln=fisher&uidh=fj8&pcat=ROOT_CATEGORY&h=22624260&db=1880usfedcen&indiv=1

            Will, according to you Arean and Dewerke (Delia) had 8 children. Which one of them is Eddie Fisher, being mentioned in the 1880 census? Or did they have 9 children?

            Kind regards,

            Klaas Pera

            --- In Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Will" <will.john@...> wrote:

            > Greetings,
            >
            > I"m currently researching the family of Andrew A. Fisher who died in Muskegon, Michigan USA on 6 November 1897. His death certificate gives his father as Arres/Annes Fisher and his mother as Grietje Unknown. He was 57 years old at the time of his death which gives him a birthdate of 1839/1840. Andrew's first appearance in Muskegon is his marriage on 11 December 1875 to Delia (Dewerke) Voogd.
            >
            > Any suggestions on connecting him to his parents?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Will

          • Ronald Douma
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 4, 2011
              Hi Will,

              On FamilySearch in a register on Muskegon marriages ( https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.2/M3YJ-PRY/p4 ), image ( https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12340-110050-19?cc=1452395), the age of Ira Fisher is 37. That would put his birth in 1838.
              His wife is registered here as Delila Vogt. She is just 16.

              Best regards,

              Ronald Douma

              --- In Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Will" <will.john@...> wrote:

              > Greetings,
              >
              > I"m currently researching the family of Andrew A. Fisher who died in Muskegon, Michigan USA on 6 November 1897. His death certificate gives his father as Arres/Annes Fisher and his mother as Grietje Unknown. He was 57 years old at the time of his death which gives him a birthdate of 1839/1840. Andrew's first appearance in Muskegon is his marriage on 11 December 1875 to Delia (Dewerke) Voogd.
              >
              > Any suggestions on connecting him to his parents?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Will

            • Will John
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 5, 2011
                Hello Klaas,

                The age Andrew gives on the Census corresponds with the age given on his record of marriage in 1875 (then 35) and with his death at age 57, both in the newspaper obituary and the record of death.  I viewed these dates as you did, giving him a birth of late 1839/1840.

                The name recorded in the Census as Eddie, corresponds to their daughter Katherine.  Andrew's death record in 1897 states of he is the father of 8 children, 5 living - which matches the informaion Delia gives in the 1900 US Census.

                Best Wishes,
                Will

                Arean Fisher, also known as Andrew A. Fisher, must have been born between 1839 and 1841. According to the usually very accurate American census of 1880 (see below) he was born about 1841, whereas his age of death was 57 (= year of birth 1840).

                Name: Arean Fisher
                Home in 1880: Muskegon, Muskegon, Michigan
                Age: 39
                Estimated Birth Year: abt 1841
                Birthplace: Holland
                Relation to Head of Household: Self (Head)
                Spouse's Name: Dilla Fisher
                Father's birthplace: Holland
                Mother's birthplace: Holland
                Neighbors: View others on page

                Occupation: Baker
                Marital Status: Married
                Race: White
                Gender: Male
                Cannot read/write:

                Blind:

                Deaf and dumb:

                Otherwise disabled:

                Idiotic or insane:
                Subscribe now to see this information.

                Household Members: Name Age
                Arean Fisher 39
                Dilla Fisher 19
                John Fisher 3
                Eddie Fisher 1
                Cornelius Schoonvierd 25

                Source Citation: Year: 1880; Census Place: Muskegon, Muskegon, Michigan; Roll: 597; Family History Film: 1254597; Page: 203B; Enumeration District: 192; Image: 0719.

                Bron:
                http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=0&msT=1&gss=angs-g&gsfn=arean&gsln=fisher&uidh=fj8&pcat=ROOT_CATEGORY&h=22624260&db=1880usfedcen&indiv=1

                Will, according to you Arean and Dewerke (Delia) had 8 children. Which one of them is Eddie Fisher, being mentioned in the 1880 census? Or did they have 9 children?

                Kind regards,

                Klaas Pera

                --- In Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Will" <will.john@...> wrote:

                > Greetings,
                >
                > I"m currently researching the family of Andrew A. Fisher who died in Muskegon, Michigan USA on 6 November 1897. His death certificate gives his father as Arres/Annes Fisher and his mother as Grietje Unknown. He was 57 years old at the time of his death which gives him a birthdate of 1839/1840. Andrew's first appearance in Muskegon is his marriage on 11 December 1875 to Delia (Dewerke) Voogd.
                >
                > Any suggestions on connecting him to his parents?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Will

              • Will John
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 5, 2011
                  Hello,

                  Thanks for the lead - his birth in 1831 would put his age at 66 at his death, almost a 10 year difference from what is recorded on his death certificate and the obituary published in the newspaper and his age at marriage at 44.

                  Best Wishes,

                  Will

                  Based on the name Arean I believe the most likely candidate is this one:

                  Births Barradeel, 1831
                  Arjen Visser, born 26 september 1831
                  Son of Ane Ales Visser and Geertje Arjens Hiemstra

                  I couldn't find his death in the Netherlands, which supports the idea
                  that he emigrated.

                  Best,
                  Rogier Visser (not family)

                  On 4 November 2011 01:54, Will John <will.john@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Margaret,
                  >
                  > The information that I had received was that Andrew was a grandson in the family of Pieter Aands Visser and Martje Martens Blink.
                  >
                  > Pieter being born in Stavoren in Feb. 1786, Martje being born in Uithuizen, Groningen in March 1786.  They were married in Uithuizen in Dec. 1815.   When I compiled this family group, it became apparent that Andrew was not a descendent of Pieter Aands Visser and Martje Martens Blink.   Following Pieter's death, Martje and her grown sons/daughters emigrated to the US in 1848, aboard the "Angelique", one of the ships associated with the settlement of the original colony of Holland, Michigan.
                  >
                  > Andrew marries in Muskegon, Muskegon, Michigan on 11 December 1875 , his name is recorded as "Ira Fisher" to Dewerke Voogd .  The Voogd family is from Warffum, Groningen.
                  >
                  > There is no mention of Andrew in the 1870 US Census for Muskegon or the surrounding areas of Ottawa, Kent and Allegan counties (where the Dutch settlements were).  Andrew and Delia appear in the 1880 US Census in Muskegon - where his name is recorded as "Arean", he is listed in the City Directories as Andrew or A. A. Fisher for the years 1879 thru 1896.  His occupation as baker (Dewerke's father was also a baker).
                  >
                  > He dies 6 Nov. 1897 - the death record gives his father as Annes Fisher and his mother as Grietje.     This is the only information about his parents.
                  >
                  > His obituary gives his name as A. A. Fisher - no details about his arrival in Muskegon, leaving the Netherlands, etc.
                  >
                  > I focused on Friesland, because of the name Annes and the possible connection to the Pieter Aands Visser family - where Ares, Anne, etc. seem to be found.
                  >
                  > I know of no siblings or any other details of his family.  He and Dewerke (Delia) have 8 children, 5 of whom surivive ( in bold print) into adulthood.  John, John, Katherine, Jennie, Annie, Joseph, Ella and Annie.
                  >
                  > I'm taking a "shot in the dark" - looking for a possible connection.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Will

                • Dirk Weidema
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 5, 2011
                    Hello to all of you,

                    Does anybody of you have links to these persons?
                    Parenteel van Wypkjen Weidema
                    1 Wypkjen Weidema is geboren op 19-04-1865 in Schettens, dochter van Huite Ruurds Weidema en Maaike Harmens Stremler. Van de geboorte is aangifte gedaan op 20-04-1865. Wypkjen is overleden op 11-06-1939 in Het Bildt, Vrouwenparochie, 74 jaar oud. Van het overlijden is aangifte gedaan op 12-06-1939. Wypkjen trouwde, 27 jaar oud, op 04-03-1893 in Wonseradeel met Tjitte Hiemstra, 25 jaar oud. Tjitte is geboren op 30-11-1867 in Pingjum. Tjitte is overleden op 13-03-1920 in Franeker, 52 jaar oud.
                    Kinderen van Wypkjen en Tjitte:
                    1 Tjerkje Hiemstra [1.1], geboren op 17-03-1893 in Wonseradeel. Van de geboorte is aangifte gedaan op 17-03-1893. Tjerkje is overleden.
                    2 Huite Hiemstra [1.2], geboren op 25-05-1894 in Wonseradeel. Van de geboorte is aangifte gedaan op 26-05-1894. Huite is overleden.
                    3 Jacob Hiemstra [1.3], geboren op 09-11-1895 in Wonseradeel. Van de geboorte is aangifte gedaan op 09-11-1895. Jacob is overleden.

                    Best regards, Dirk

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 5, 2011
                      Hi Dirk,

                      For a new query please send a new message with a subject line covering the
                      content of your message.

                      Unless Tjitte and Wypkjen's children died before 1942 it may turn out to be
                      hard to find information.

                      On www.graftombe.nl <http://www.graftombe.nl/> or
                      http://www.online-begraafplaatsen.nl/ you might try to find tombstone
                      information.

                      Another source (if they all stayed in Friesland) could be
                      http://www.archiefleeuwardercourant.nl/index.do , which is the archive of
                      the Leeuwarder Courant, where you might search for death notices.

                      Deze vond ik al:

                      Begraafplaats Franeker alg

                      Huite Hiemstra, geboren 25-05-1894, overleden 07-07-1949

                      buried with

                      Pieterdina Gorter, geboren 16-06-1893, overleden 19-03-1969

                      Hun huwelijk in 1920 is op Tresoar te vinden.

                      Met vriendelijke groet

                      Nynke van den Hooven

                      _____

[...]

                      <knip>._,___

                    • Henk Dijkstra
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 5, 2011
                        Try Persoonskaart, available at CBG

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 5, 2011
                          Hi Will,

                          Your ancestor's name was spelled differently in the USA. I tried to find Dutch equivalents for those variations (e.g. "Arie" for "Ira"), but all my efforts to search for him in a Dutch birth register appeared to be in vain.

                          With kind regards,

                          Klaas Pera

                          --- In Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Will John <will.john@...> wrote:

                          > Hello Klaas,
                          >
                          > The age Andrew gives on the Census corresponds with the age given on his record of marriage in 1875 (then 35) and with his death at age 57, both in the newspaper obituary and the record of death.  I viewed these dates as you did, giving him a birth of late 1839/1840.
                          >
                          > The name recorded in the Census as Eddie, corresponds to their daughter Katherine.  Andrew's death record in 1897 states of he is the father of 8 children, 5 living - which matches the informaion Delia gives in the 1900 US Census.
                          >
                          > Best Wishes,
                          > Will
                        • Rogier Visser
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 6, 2011
                            Hi,

                            The birth that I found in 1831 is definitely incorrect; I forgot about
                            the year 1839/1840.
                            I did found another possible hit. There are some clues that support it
                            (year, initials, name of mother) and other that don't (name, and name
                            of father), but perhaps it's worth investigating.

                            Gemeente: Hellevoetsluis
                            Kind: Aard Visser
                            Geslacht: M
                            Geboortedatum: 16-10-1839
                            Vader: Arend Visser
                            Moeder: Gerritje Schoon

                            Best
                            Rogier

                            On 5 November 2011 20:02, klaaspera <pera@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Will,
                            >
                            > Your ancestor's name was spelled differently in the USA. I tried to find Dutch equivalents for those variations (e.g. "Arie" for "Ira"), but all my efforts to search for him in a Dutch birth register appeared to be in vain.
                            >
                            > With kind regards,
                            >
                            > Klaas Pera
                            >
                            > --- In Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Will John <will.john@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hello Klaas,
                            > > The age Andrew gives on the Census corresponds with the age given on his record of marriage in 1875 (then 35) and with his death at age 57, both in the newspaper obituary and the record of death.  I viewed these dates as you did, giving him a birth of late 1839/1840.
                            > > The name recorded in the Census as Eddie, corresponds to their daughter Katherine.  Andrew's death record in 1897 states of he is the father of 8 children, 5 living - which matches the informaion Delia gives in the 1900 US Census.
                            > > Best Wishes,
                            > > Will

                          • Will John
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 7, 2011
                              Greetings,

                              Thank you for your suggestions on possibilities for Andrew Fisher.  I will do the follow up on these leads.  You can see that he provides a unique mystery.

                              Best Wishes
                              Will