DUIKER Lykle died 14 Dec 1898..where is he buried?

  • Cynthia Mac Suibhne
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2011
      Aangiftedatum 1 december 1898, akte nr. 140
      L Duiker, overleden 14 november 1898, man
      Opm.: Stuurman aan boord van het schip genaamd "Bothnia", overboord gevallen
      This is my great grandfather's death notice,  I am curious about where Lykle
      might be buried. He lived in Harlingen with his wife Dieuwke (nee) Ijistra. They
      had 6 children and lived at Schristsen 25 and Zoutsloot 13. Dieuwke moved to
      Rotterdam 27 July 1911. Lykle, Alida and Wessel moved to Cleveland, Ohio U.S.A.
      in 1913.  My grandfather was Wessel DUIKER.
      I only speak and write in English but if someone can give me advise on burials I
      can use a book to aid in translation.
      Thank you,
      Cindy Mac Suibhne

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2011
        Cindy,

        If you’re grandfather died over a century ago, it is quite unlikely that his
        grave still exists….

        The text you found is not from a death notice, but from his death
        registration (death certificate).

        As his death was reported in Harlingen, it seems likely that he was buried
        there as well at the time.

        Translation of the death cer. record:

        Death certificate Harlingen, 1898

        Registration date 1 December 1898, cert. nr. 140

        L. Duiker, deceased 14 November 1898, male, married

        Note: Master on board the ship named “Bothnia”, fell overboard.

        Kind regards,

        Nynke van den Hooven

        _____

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2011
          Dear Cynthia,

          Burials you can find on graftombe.nl. However no burial of Lykle Duiker is
          mentioned. It is more likely, he was buried at sea, or his body wasn’t even
          recovered. In fact I had a look at the certificate in question, in which is
          stated that he fell overboard and drowned. You can take a look at it
          yourself at www.allefriezen.nl. Type Duiker and L as voornaam (forename).

          Regards Hans Bottema

          I will send you an translation as well

          Aangiftedatum 1 december 1898, akte nr. 140
          L Duiker, overleden 14 november 1898, man
          Opm.: Stuurman aan boord van het schip genaamd "Bothnia", overboord gevallen
          This is my great grandfather's death notice, I am curious about where Lykle

          might be buried. He lived in Harlingen with his wife Dieuwke (nee) Ijistra.
          They
          had 6 children and lived at Schristsen 25 and Zoutsloot 13. Dieuwke moved to

          Rotterdam 27 July 1911. Lykle, Alida and Wessel moved to Cleveland, Ohio
          U.S.A.
          in 1913. My grandfather was Wessel DUIKER.
          I only speak and write in English but if someone can give me advise on
          burials I
          can use a book to aid in translation.
          Thank you,
          Cindy Mac Suibhne

        • Rita Veeken - Ritsma
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2011
            Hello Cindy,

            It is ofcourse possible that the body was never recovered.

            Greetings, Rita

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2011
              Cynthia,

              Translation of the death certificate of Lykle Duiker: In the year 1898, the
              first day of the month December, we, registrar in Harlingen, received a
              decent legalized declaration, made up by the crew of the Dutch three-masted
              schooner Bothnia, which states, that on the journey from Hudiksvall to
              Harlingen on guessed 57 degrees, 12 minutes North Latitude, 7 degrees 38
              minuted guessed Eastern Longitude L. Duiker, steersman on board of earlier
              mentioned vessel, in the night of the 14th to 15th November , at nights
              between two and three o’clock, fell into the sea and drowned.

              Hans Bottema

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2011
                Hello Cindy,

                I had a look at the death certificate too (a scan can be found at www.allefriezen.nl, http://www.allefriezen.nl/en/component/genealogie/?task=persoon_detail&argument=frl_2364226&persoon_1_achternaam=duiker&huidigeGemeenteId=11&voormaligeGemeenteKey=0&periode_begin=1898&periode_eind=1898&aktetype_overlijden=on&zoekmethode=uitgebreid&lp=1 ).

                The location specified is a place at sea south of Norway before the coast of Denmark.

                Since both the latitude and longitude are specified as "gegist" = "guessed", so approximately, and the time is "between 2 and 3", so approximately too, my guess is that Lykle fell overboard and drowned unseen. And therefor his body was not recovered by the crew and taken home to Harlingen.
                His body may have washed up on the Danish coast of course, and then he could have buried somewhere in Denmark. But that's just guessing, and not easy to find out.

                Kind regards,

                Ronald Douma

                --- In Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Mac Suibhne <barkupthetree@...> wrote:

                > Aangiftedatum 1 december 1898, akte nr. 140
                > L Duiker, overleden 14 november 1898, man
                > Opm.: Stuurman aan boord van het schip genaamd "Bothnia", overboord gevallen
                > This is my great grandfather's death notice,  I am curious about where Lykle
                > might be buried. He lived in Harlingen with his wife Dieuwke (nee) Ijistra. They
                > had 6 children and lived at Schristsen 25 and Zoutsloot 13. Dieuwke moved to
                > Rotterdam 27 July 1911. Lykle, Alida and Wessel moved to Cleveland, Ohio U.S.A.
                > in 1913.  My grandfather was Wessel DUIKER.
                > I only speak and write in English but if someone can give me advise on burials I
                > can use a book to aid in translation.
                > Thank you,
                > Cindy Mac Suibhne

              • Hans Bottema
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 4, 2011
                  Cynthia,

                  My messages did not come in the right order, as you might have noticed. I
                  think we must conclude that his body was never retrieved. Hudiksvall is a
                  Swedish harbor on the coast of the Gulf of Bothnia.

                  Hans Bottema

                • pboltjes@planet.nl
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 4, 2011
                    Hello Cindy,

                    Like you said, Lykle fell overboard and drowned. He was not saved and therefore there was no burial.
                    You can find more information on www.spanvis.nl / go to "Friesland en zijn historie", then "Koopvaardij".
                    There you find a page dedicated to Lykle Duiker.

                    Kind regards,

                    Piet Boltjes