Family Hoveling

  • norma bakker
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2010
      Hello,

      I am researching the family Hoveling and seem to have hit a brick
      wall. The only information I can find is that Jacobus (Koop) Johannes
      Hoveling was born ca 1780 in Wolvega but I can't find anything more
      definitive than that. He was the son of Johannes Jacobus Hoveling and
      Lutske Klazes or Luttje Klaassen. In 1837 he was living in Overijssel
      with his wife Grietje Jans Gelker and his two sons. They (Johannes
      and Grietje) both died there. Grietje is referred to as Grietje Jans
      Dol on her mother's success memories. I am not sure where to look
      next to find out his exact dagte of birth or anything about his
      parents or why Greitje is referred to by a totally different name by
      her mother. Can anyone offer either suggestions or information?

      Cheers,

      Norma MasonBakker (Australia)
    • Ina Hazewinkel
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8, 2010
        Hello Norma

        The birth and father of Jacobus (Koop) Johannes Hoveling:
        Weststellingwerf, dopen, doopjaar 1780
        Dopeling: Jacobus
        Gedoopt op 20 mei 1780 in Oldeholtpade
        Dopeling  : JAKOB
        Vader   : JOHANNES KOOPS

        And the birth and parents of Grietje Jans Gelker:

        Haskerland, dopen, geboortejaar 1778, doopjaar 1778
        Dopeling: Grietje
        Geboren op 16 december 1778 in Nijehaske
        Gedoopt op 20 december 1778
        Kind van Geert Jans en Geijske Cornelis

        Best regards  Ina

        http://www.voelspriet2.nl/forum/index.php?board=3.0

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2010
          Norma, Ina,

          If Grietjes patronym was Jans the below (R.C.) baptism entry would be more
          “suitable”:

          Haskerland, dopen, doopjaar 1778

          Dopeling: Grietjen

          Gedoopt op 28 juni 1778 in Joure

          Dochter van Jan Jansen en Lutske Geerts

          Meter: Tietske Pieters

          Grietjes family name occurs as Helken, Gelken and Gelker.

          According to Grietjes marriage cert. (i.e. the marriage to Koop Johannes
          Hoveling; she was apparently the widow of Jacob Johannes (aka Jacob Jans
          Gerbrands) Stouw her parents were Jan Jans Helken and Lutske Geerts.

          In her death cert. (Avereest, reg. date 26-01-1859, cert. no. 9) her parents
          are mentioned as Jan Jans Gelker and Lutske Geerts Spits; her husband as
          Koop Hoogelink. Which goes to show how family names were “handled” in the
          first part of the 19th century.

          Did Lutske Geerts remarry? According to the tax inheritance memorandum
          Lutske Geerts was the widow of Luite Dol. The clerk who registered that
          apparently assumed that he then must have been Grietjes dad and therefore
          her family name would have been Dol.

          On the other hand it’s also possible that there was a mix-up as far has the
          name of Lutske’s husband is concerned. Since Luite is the male form of
          Lutske it could be that the registering clerk (or the person who processed
          these data for the Tresoar database) mixed things up.

          Then there’s the weird coincidence that on 24 november 1806 a man called Jan
          Jans Dol is buried in Haskerland. So it might even be possible that Jan Jans
          was known both by the name Dol ánd Helken…..

          Best regards

          Nynke van den Hooven

          _____

          From: norma bakker <norma.bakker@... <mailto:norma.bakker%40gmail.com>

          To: "Friesland-genealogy" <Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:Friesland-genealogy%40yahoogroups.com> >
          Date: Tuesday, June 8, 2010, 11:34 PM

          Hello,

          I am researching the family Hoveling and seem to have hit a brick
          wall. The only information I can find is that Jacobus (Koop) Johannes
          Hoveling was born ca 1780 in Wolvega but I can't find anything more
          definitive than that. He was the son of Johannes Jacobus Hoveling and
          Lutske Klazes or Luttje Klaassen. In 1837 he was living in Overijssel
          with his wife Grietje Jans Gelker and his two sons. They (Johannes
          and Grietje) both died there. Grietje is referred to as Grietje Jans
          Dol on her mother's success memories. I am not sure where to look
          next to find out his exact dagte of birth or anything about his
          parents or why Greitje is referred to by a totally different name by
          her mother. Can anyone offer either suggestions or information?

          Cheers,

          Norma MasonBakker (Australia)

          <mailto:Friesland-genealogy-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>