Idem

  • Ann Hovestad
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 23, 2010
      Hello All
      A quick question:
      What does it mean when there is an 'idem' after a name.  For example:  Pieter, idem.

      Thank-you!

    • Ad Rienks
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 23, 2010
        Hello Ann,

        'idem' could be translated as 'also'.
        For instance when information about the first person also applies to a second one: Annie born in X, Pieter idem.

        greeting,
        Ad

        On 23-3-2010 22:11:34, Ann Hovestad (ann_edmo@...) wrote:
        > Hello All
        > A quick question:
        > What does it mean when there is an 'idem' after a name. For example:
        > Pieter, idem.
        >
        > Thank-you!

        > Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the
        > boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options in Mail and switch to
        > New Mail today or register for free at http://mail.yahoo.ca

      • Douwe
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 23, 2010
          Ann,

          To be more precise: "Idem" means "the same". Example: "Jos, living in Toronto". "Pieter, idem" means Pieter living in Toronta. Originally: 'idem dito" = Latin for: I say the same.

          Douwe

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 23, 2010
            Ann,

            In English it would say “do.” which is “dito”.

            Met vriendelijke groet

            Nynke van den Hooven

            _____

            What does it mean when there is an 'idem' after a name. For example:
            Pieter, idem.

            Thank-you!

            boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options in Mail and switch to
            New Mail today or register for free at http://mail. <http://mail.yahoo.ca>
            yahoo.ca

          • blauwe- parel
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 23, 2010