Dirk Hendriks Venstra (1767-1847)

  • joann_n_bob
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2009
      My grandmother who immigrated to Utah USA told me stories about Dirk when I was a boy. She said she "read his book" I do not know if it's possible that "Dirks book is still around in a library or in the possession of a family member. I would very much like to get a copy of his book.

      I do not know if his book is in the form of a journal, or his history written by a family member after his death at the age of 80. All the stories involved Dirk and his second wife and children during and after the war with Spain, and the difficulties they confronted at that time.

      I have recorded the stories that she told me, they are of course in my words. My grandmother had a very strong Dutch and Frisian accent, and it was sometimes difficult to understand her. However my father also spoke both languages because those were the languages spoken in their home, and he would clarify what I didn't understand. I loved her stories!

      This 6th great grandfather, Dirk Venstra is one of my heros. My grandmother would always get tears in her eyes when I would ask her to tell me about Dirk. She always believed this second wife was her grandmother, however we have discovered our linage is through his first wife. His second wife is not sealed to him! I hope that his book is still available, and we can discover who his second wife was, this woman was a real hero to my grandmother. His first wife died in 1806.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thank you

      Bob Henstra, Genola Utah, USA 84655
      joann.n.bob@...