RE: [Friesland-genealogy] Hein Jaarsma, Gerlof Bajema & Sjoukje

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2009
      John,

      It’s possible that Gerlof bought (or inherited) the motorbike and therefore
      registered it to his name after Hein had died.

      Ymker de féarts is Ymker, the veterinarian.

      According to the book Koudum fan doe en nou, Koudum 1978, side 168 (Koudum
      then and now, published Koudum 1978, page 168) by G. Koopmans the second
      picture is one of the vet Dr. Ymker. But according to another entry it’s
      possible that Mr. Koopmans (the author of the book) got the wrong data from
      the owner of the picture or that Jaarsma bought the motorbike previously
      owned by Dr. Ymker…..

      Cause of death is not registered in Dutch death certificates. According to
      the death announcement in the Leeuwarder Courant Hein died in the
      Diaconessenhuis (a hospital) in Amsterdam after “painful suffering”.

      According to notarial archives Sjoukje Klazes Bajema bought a house in
      Koudum in December 1913.

      In January 1914 she (and Wiebe Durks Jaarsma) sold several lots of land in
      Koudum.

      In 1928 Wiebe D. Jaarsma and Gerritje Klijnstra are celebrating their 50th
      wedding anniversary. In the announcement in the Leeuwarder Courant Sjoukje
      is listed as the widow H. Jaarsma-Bajema. Sjoukje didn’t remarry. Sjoukje is
      also referred to as the widow H. Jaarsma-Bajema in Wiebe D. Jaarsma’s death
      announcement in the Leeuwarder Courant in October 1939.

      It seems to me she never left Koudum.

      According to a marriage announcement in the Leeuwarder Courant, Hitje
      Jaarsma married Kornelis T. Boonstra on 23-05-1929

      According to a death announcement in the Leeuwarder Courant, Cornelis Tjerks
      Boonstra died in California in June 1972 at the age of 83.

      That would have been the following Kornelis:

      Geboorteakte Baarderadeel, 1889
      Aangiftedatum 29 mei 1889, akte nr. 79
      Kornelis Boonstra, geboren 28 mei 1889
      Zoon van Tjerk Kornelis Boonstra en Akke Hendriks Palsma

      And

      California Death Index:

      Name: Corneliu T Boonstra

      Social Security #: 556528866

      Sex: MALE

      Birth Date: 28 May 1889

      Birthplace: Netherlands

      Death Date: 14 Jun 1972

      Death Place: Los Angeles

      Apparently Kornelis had lived in America prior to his marriage to Hitje,
      because I found his Naturalisation record dated June 1st, 1918. Born in
      Wieuwerd.

      And yes, also an immigration record: Kornelis arrived in New York aboard the
      Noordam on March 2, 1909, on his way to Springfield South Dakota where a
      Palsma uncle lived.

      Cornelis draft registration card for WWI was drawn up in Bon Homme, South
      Dakota.

      According to the SSDI Hattie Boonstra (Hitje Jaarsma) died in La Palma,
      Orange Co., CA on 24 Jan 1997.

      Then I found Thitje (34), Cornelius (50), Sjoukje (5) and Akke (10 months)
      Boonstra aboard the Excalibur, arriving in New York on 15 May 1940. They
      embarked at Genoa in Italy on 2 May 1940. Cornelius is described as husband
      accompanying alien wife. For the girls no entries have been made reg place
      of birth; they’re accompanying their alien mother :-), whose last place of
      residence was Roordahuizum. As address of nearest relative in “country
      whence alien came” the following entry is listed: Mrs. J.S. Jaarsma (mother)
      Koudum, Holland. The party is on its way to 3923 Spencer St., Torrance,
      California.

      On 18 Sept 1953 a Boonstra party consisting of Peter, Tedde, Anna and Hattie
      Boonstra arrive in New York aboard a KLM aircraft on their way to Los
      Angeles from there.

      Apparently Sjoukje and Gerlof were halfbrother and –sister? I found a death
      announcement for the widow of Gerlof K. Bajema. According to her death
      announcement in the Leeuwarder Courant Gerlof died on 22 Jan 1971; Magdalena
      Giesing, his widow, died in November 1973 in Beetgumermolen. They apparently
      had one daughter living in The Hague at that time.

      Nothing on Gerritje Jaarsma other then her birth on 4 Jan 1907 in Koudum.

      Kind regards,

      Nynke van den Hooven.

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1 1:18 AM
        Nynke, and others,

        A little while ago I found out that in Amsterdam the cause of death is (anonymously) registered in a ledger of the Central Bureau for Statistics; all you need is the date and the death-certificate number.

        Amsterdam archive; toegang/ entry 5185.

        I'll be in the Amsterdam archive later this month.

        Groetjes,
        Annemarth

        --- In Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Nynke van den Hooven" <nynkevandenhooven@...> wrote:

        > John,
        >

        > It's possible that Gerlof bought (or inherited) the motorbike and therefore registered it to his name after Hein had died.
        >
        > Ymker de féarts is Ymker, the veterinarian.
        >
        > According to the book Koudum fan doe en nou, Koudum 1978, side 168 (Koudum then and now, published Koudum 1978, page 168) by G. Koopmans the second picture is one of the vet Dr. Ymker. But according to another entry it's possible that Mr. Koopmans (the author of the book) got the wrong data from the owner of the picture or that Jaarsma bought the motorbike previously owned by Dr. Ymker…..
        >

        > Cause of death is not registered in Dutch death certificates. According to the death announcement in the Leeuwarder Courant Hein died in the Diaconessenhuis (a hospital) in Amsterdam after "painful suffering".

        <knip>
      • annemarthsterringa
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 8, 2009
          Hi John, here's finally a few answers to your questions; I just came back from Amsterdam.

          Hein Jaarsma and Sjoukje Bajema did not live in Amsterdam; according to Hein's death-certificate they lived in Noordwolde, Hemeler Oldeferd. His father Wiebe Jaarsma came to Amsterdam to register his son's death: book 8, p. 92/ nr.4696.

          The number 4696 and year 1913 enabled me to find the cause of death and the address in the books of the Centraal Bureau voor Statistiek: 5185/493-494.
          Hein Jaarsma died of "pyelonephritis c. calculi" = a kidney disease, in the Ned. Herv. Diaconessen Inrichting (= a hospital) on Overtoom, Amsterdam.

          As for Gerlof Bajema, he and his wife and twindaughters Geppie and Magdalena born 1919 in Warga, moved from Amsterdam to Bussum in 1940.

          With kind regards from Delft,

          Annemarth Sterringa
          http://home.zonnet.nl/annemarthsterringa/

          --- In Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "bajemajm" <bajemajm@...> wrote:

          > I have discovered two pictures on Tresoar that may be of my ancestors. Here is the story:
          >
          > http://www2.tresoar.nl/kentekens/?t=0&nummer=678
          >
          > Hein Jaarsma (b. 26 March 1880) married Sjoukje Klazes Bajema (b. 2 June 1881) who was the sister of Gerlof Bajema (b. 18 June 1895). Hein died on 4 August 1913 in Amsterdam, leaving his wife and possibly two living children. This was after Hein and Sjoukje had lost three children at birth in short time.
          >
          > Information I have has Hein's daughter Hitje Jaarsma born 27 Nov 1905 in Kodum and death in 1975 in California, USA. I have no other information for her. I have no death record for Sjoukje or Gerlof at this time. I have no immigration records.
          >
          > After Heins death in 1913 his brother in law, Gerlof, registered the motorcycle. I do not know who "Ymker de féarts" mentioned on Tresoar would be. I can not identify who is in the above two pictures with certainty. Hein was 33 when he died while Gerlof is 15 years younger.
          >
          > I would like to know if there is a way of knowing the cause of death for Hein in 1913 and if there is a census placing Sjoukje and Gerlof in the same house after Hein's death and who might have immigrated and when to the USA.
          >
          > John Bajema
        • T.L.Krooneman
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 8, 2009
            Hello John Bajema

            Some additional information

            I.2 Sjoukje BAJEMA, born on 02-06-1881 in Hemelumer Oldeferd, died after 1939. Na het overlijden van haar man koopt zij op 01-12-1913 een huis en erf te Koudum voor fl 2150,- van Reintje Westra te Mijdrecht. Op 26-o1-1914 is zij mede verkoper van diverse percelen te Koudum.

            Married at the age of 23 on 29-12-1904 in Koudum, Hemelumer Oldeferd to Hein JAARSMA, 24 years old, manufacturen winkelier te Koudum, born on 26-03-1880 in Workum, died on 04-08-1913 in Amsterdam at the age of 33, overleden in het Diaconessenhuis te Amsterdam "na een smartelijk doch geduldig lijden.". In de Leeuwarder Courant van 19-01-1914,na Hein zijn overlijden: Zijn manufacturenzaak aan de Hoofdstraat en het daarbij gelegen kantoor met erf, na bekomen rechterlijk bevel, zullen op de maandagen 26 januari en 9 februari 1914 publiekelijk in het logement van wed. Jouke de Boer te Koudum, geveild en verkocht worden. Son of Wybe Durks (Wiebe) JAARSMA and Gerritje Heins KLIJNSTRA.

            From this marriage:

            1. Hitje (Hattie) JAARSMA (see also II.2 on page 1).

            2. Gerritje JAARSMA, born on 04-01-1907 in Koudum.

            3. levenloos kind JAARSMA, born 1909, died on 15-12-1909 in Hemelumer Oldeferd.

            4. levenloos kind JAARSMA, born 1909, died on 15-12-1909 in Hemelumer Oldeferd.

            5. levenloos kind JAARSMA, born 1911, died on 02-09-1911 in Hemelumer Oldeferd.

            II.2 Hitje (Hattie) JAARSMA, born on 27-11-1905 in Koudum, died on 24-01-1997 in La Palma, Orange, CA at the age of 91.

            Publication of the banns on 08-05-1929, married at the age of 23 on 23-05-1929 in Koudum to Cornelis Tjerks BOONSTRA, 39 years old, born on 28-05-1889 in Wieuwerd, Baarderadeel, died on 28-06-1972 in Los Angeles, California, USA at the age of 83. Arriveert in Amerika op 02-03-1909 met de Noordam en is op weg naar een oom Palsma die in Sprinfield South Dakota woont.

            Naturalisatie in Amerika op 01-06-1918. Son of Tjerk Kornelis BOONSTRA and Akke Hendriks PALSMA. Het gezin emigreert nar Amerika in 1940. Zij vertrekken op 02-05-1940 uit Genua in Italië en arriveren op 15-05-1940 in New York. Wonen in 1967 te Lakewood, California USA.

            From this marriage:

            1. Sjoukje BOONSTRA, born 1935.

            2. Agnes Charlene (Akke) BOONSTRA, born on 05-06-1939, died on 22-10-1984 in San Diego, California, USA at the age of 45.

            Married to de GRAAF.

            Tim Krooneman