t.a.v. Cor Seinstra

  • Appy de Vries
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 12, 2009
      Hallo Cor;
      Zou jij voor mij een akte willen
      nakijken?het betreft deze;
      Pieter Gerrits Wagter geb.27-02-1844
      Wolvega,
      gehuwd 29-05-1869 te Wolvega
      Margje Fokkes Oppersma 10-05-1845
      Nijeholtwolde, Akte 60 [Weststellingwerf]

      vraag; info over Margje haar vader!!
      is in1867 vertrokken naar Amerika,
      zonder vrouw en 8 kinderen!!!
      bij voorbaat veel dank en
      folle groetsjes fan my,
      Appy.

    • frysk48
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 13, 2009
        Hallo Appy,

        I am not Cor obviously but I saw your message and thought I would try to help. If you have difficulty reading this in English then I will try to write it again in Nederlands.

        I was not sure if you were looking for Fokke Egberts Oppersma after he immigrated or if you are looking for him before he left his wife and children. I have only tried to find some information about his immigration and what happended to him.

        When his wife Grietje died in 1878 it was noted that she was a widow. Did they have information that Fokke was already dead? Maybe a bijlagens in one of the marriage aktes of their children can tell you that (I think that is what you are asking Cor).

        So, the immigration information. It is somewhat confusing but here is what I found:

        1) Fokke Egbertus Oppersma, immigration in 1867, born about 1808, port of travel unknown.

        2) F E Oppersma, born about 1809, arrived in New York from Rotterdam on 22 April 1875 on the "W A Scholten".

        3) J E Oppersma, born about 1809, arrived in New York from Rotterdam on 22 April 1875 on the "W A Scholten".

        Now on the ship manifest for #2 & #3, there is only one Oppersma. It looks like "J E Oppersma" to me but someone could have mistaken it for a "F". In any case, I believe these are not 2 different people but the same person.

        4) Fokke Oppersma, born about 1813, age 54, arriving on 16 May 1867 in Quebec, Canada on the "S.S. Nova Scotian of Montreal"

        There are no Oppersma's that I can find in America but there are several in Canada (province of Ontario). One of these Oppersma's in Canada in researching the Oppersma name. She has in her family tree a "Jeene Oppersma, born 14 June 1867, son of Egbert Fokkes Oppersma and Harmke Martens van der Hoef. So, Jeene is a grandson of Fokke Egberts Oppersma.

        Maybe you need to contact her and see if she has any information about Fokke. I believe that this is her email: soppersma@...

        gr, John