Re: [Friesland-genealogy] Frysk of Nederlands?

  • René Duba
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2008
      Hello Keimpe,

      a very interesting observation! Children enjoy doing that. They visit
      France for instance, and in a few days they start making up "french"
      words, i.e. french sounding dutch words.

      [..]
      > a lot of Frisians, when speaking Dutch, "Frisicized"
      > the Dutch words (as is sometimes seen in Civil
      > records, noted by others in this Group). In fact I
      > remember being teased for doing this at age six when
      > we moved to Deventer after the war.

      Maybe we could use that to find out whether at the time of registering
      family names in 1811, the public servant at the registry was making a
      Dutch name into a Frisian name, a Frisian name into a Dutch name,
      or a foreign name into ... well either, I suppose. Also, names may
      have stayed the same.

      How about a brain-teaser? What is the original?

      Examples:
      "Leystra" apparently was "van der Ley" (in Dutch)
      "Readbergen" was "Roodbergen"
      "Voorda" is de verfriezing van "van der Voorde"

      Riddles:
      Dieuwes was the son of ... ?
      Duba is Frisian for ... ?
      Lijfde or Liefde may have come from ... ?
      and so on...

      And everyone could add a few names of their own. A game of
      reverse engineering (ik bedoel natuurlijk: firtuele paadtrochslag) so to
      speak... ;-)

      Best, René