Dutch/Frisian??

  • lesnjoni2
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2008
      I have a question about the comment below. I always thought my
      grandfather from Koudum spoke Dutch as his first language. After I
      learned he came from Koudum, I assumed he spoke Frisian first. Were
      Sneek and Koudum in a different area that spoke Dutch instead of
      Frisian? Thanks for clearing this up. Joni Graeff

      On 4 Feb 2008 at 22:32, Irene Visser wrote:

      > that bitsje suker, is Snekers, also we have Liwadders, Harlingers,
      > Dokkumers etc.
      > Its a dialect?

      It could well be. My great-grandmother was very adamant that in
      Sneek no Frisian was spoken, as it was clearly inderstandable to
      anyone (hence Dutch), whereas outside of Sneek, the people from
      the countryside, munched their words and spoke dialect (hence,
      according to her, they spoke Frisian). ;-)

      groet,
      René
    • Esther van Rems-Dijkstra
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2008
        Hi Joni,

        I live in Bolsward near Sneek, in Sneek and area around it people speak
        Frisian and sometimes StadsFrisian (dialect mixture of Frisian and Dutch). I
        don't speak Frisian but Dutch, my neighbours speak Frisian and the
        neighbours across the street speak StadsFrisian........
        So there is no common rule.

        Esther

        --
        Get Firefox!

      • René Duba
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2008
          On 5 Feb 2008 at 15:04, lesnjoni2 wrote:

          > Were Sneek and Koudum in a different area that spoke
          > Dutch instead of Frisian?

          I think others have explained it better than I ever could. I just
          remember my grandmother telling me this, but I have no way to
          compare.

          René
        • Betsy
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 9, 2008