Re: Douwes HARMSEN - of Leeuwarden? Immigrated to New Netherland 1628

  • hzijlstra
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
      In the marriage records of Leeuwarden there does not seem to be a
      couple with the names you mention.
      However there is following couple in the same time frame that may be
      interesting to check further (source www.tresoar.nl):
      Leeuwarden, huwelijken 1616
      Vermelding: Ondertrouw op 6 januari 1616
      Man : Douwe Harmens afkomstig van Leeuwarden
      Vrouw : Syts Pieters afkomstig van Leeuwarden
      Opmerking : hij is schoenmakersgezel

      Gestandaardiseerde namen: DOUWE HARMENS en SIETSKE PIETERS

      Bron:
      Collectie Doop-, Trouw-, Begraaf- en Lidmatenboeken(DTBL)
      Trouwregister Gerecht Leeuwarden 1615-1618
      Inventarisnr.: 896
      Op microfiche beschikbaar op de studiezaal van Tresoar

      Alternatively you may want to check with the people from the city-
      archive, their website is http://www.gemeentearchief.nl/

      Although you say he was from Leeuwarden, it does not mean he married
      there. Also in 1616 a man with the same name married in Dokkum:
      Dokkum, huwelijken 1616
      Vermelding: Ondertrouw op 31 mei 1616
      Man : Douwe Hermansz afkomstig van Arum
      Vrouw : Eesck Hermensdr afkomstig van Dokkum

      Gestandaardiseerde namen: DOUWE HARMENS en IESKJE HARMENS

      Bron:
      Collectie Doop-, Trouw-, Begraaf- en Lidmatenboeken(DTBL)
      Ondertrouwregister Gerecht Dokkum 1605-1628
      Inventarisnr.: 171
      Op microfiche beschikbaar op de studiezaal van Tresoar

      For WIC archives you may want to check our National Archives at
      www.nationaalarchief.nl also.

      There were a lot of Frisians in both WIC and VOC.
      From the same year, 1628, there is an interesting story from the
      sister-company VOC. The book written by Mike Dash is called Batavia's
      Graveyard. Available via www.amazon.com for a few dollars.
      Another famous momentum in 1628 was the conquering of the Silver
      Fleet by Piet Hein (not a Frisian), a Dutch West India Company hero.
      Last but not least to mention Bastiaen Jansz Krol from Harlingen. He
      was the successor of Peter Minuit as leader of the colony in New
      Amsterdam (New York) in 1632, a few decades before the other Frisian
      Pieter Stuyvesant got that job as the last Dutch New Amsterdam boss.
      More details on my Dutch webpage at
      http://www.angelfire.com/vt/sneuper/FriezenVOC.htm

      Regards, Hans

      --- In Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Kelly Graham"
      <caellach@...> wrote:

      > Hello, all.
      >
      > I am searching for Douwe HARMSEN, who - with his wife Dirkje and 4
      children, including
      > a daughter Stytje Wiggerzen DOUWES (born 1617?) - migrated to the
      New World with the
      > Dutch West India Company on the ship "Bruynvis" (spelling?) in
      1628. Douwe was from
      > Friesland, and I have recently read from Leeuwarden.
      >
      > Are there any records that offer clues to Douwe and his family?
      When he was born? Who
      > were his parents? And, what about his wife?
      >
      > Any help offered will be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Thank you.
      >
      > Kelly Paul Graham.

    • betsyagravatt
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
        Dear Kelly
        The Douwes Egbert company makes excellent coffee !