Douwes HARMSEN - of Leeuwarden? Immigrated to New Netherland 1628

  • Kelly Graham
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2007
      Hello, all.

      I am searching for Douwe HARMSEN, who - with his wife Dirkje and 4 children, including
      a daughter Stytje Wiggerzen DOUWES (born 1617?) - migrated to the New World with the
      Dutch West India Company on the ship "Bruynvis" (spelling?) in 1628. Douwe was from
      Friesland, and I have recently read from Leeuwarden.

      Are there any records that offer clues to Douwe and his family? When he was born? Who
      were his parents? And, what about his wife?

      Any help offered will be greatly appreciated.

      Thank you.

      Kelly Paul Graham.

    • hzijlstra
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
        In the marriage records of Leeuwarden there does not seem to be a
        couple with the names you mention.
        However there is following couple in the same time frame that may be
        interesting to check further (source www.tresoar.nl):
        Leeuwarden, huwelijken 1616
        Vermelding: Ondertrouw op 6 januari 1616
        Man : Douwe Harmens afkomstig van Leeuwarden
        Vrouw : Syts Pieters afkomstig van Leeuwarden
        Opmerking : hij is schoenmakersgezel

        Gestandaardiseerde namen: DOUWE HARMENS en SIETSKE PIETERS

        Bron:
        Collectie Doop-, Trouw-, Begraaf- en Lidmatenboeken(DTBL)
        Trouwregister Gerecht Leeuwarden 1615-1618
        Inventarisnr.: 896
        Op microfiche beschikbaar op de studiezaal van Tresoar

        Alternatively you may want to check with the people from the city-
        archive, their website is http://www.gemeentearchief.nl/

        Although you say he was from Leeuwarden, it does not mean he married
        there. Also in 1616 a man with the same name married in Dokkum:
        Dokkum, huwelijken 1616
        Vermelding: Ondertrouw op 31 mei 1616
        Man : Douwe Hermansz afkomstig van Arum
        Vrouw : Eesck Hermensdr afkomstig van Dokkum

        Gestandaardiseerde namen: DOUWE HARMENS en IESKJE HARMENS

        Bron:
        Collectie Doop-, Trouw-, Begraaf- en Lidmatenboeken(DTBL)
        Ondertrouwregister Gerecht Dokkum 1605-1628
        Inventarisnr.: 171
        Op microfiche beschikbaar op de studiezaal van Tresoar

        For WIC archives you may want to check our National Archives at
        www.nationaalarchief.nl also.

        There were a lot of Frisians in both WIC and VOC.
        From the same year, 1628, there is an interesting story from the
        sister-company VOC. The book written by Mike Dash is called Batavia's
        Graveyard. Available via www.amazon.com for a few dollars.
        Another famous momentum in 1628 was the conquering of the Silver
        Fleet by Piet Hein (not a Frisian), a Dutch West India Company hero.
        Last but not least to mention Bastiaen Jansz Krol from Harlingen. He
        was the successor of Peter Minuit as leader of the colony in New
        Amsterdam (New York) in 1632, a few decades before the other Frisian
        Pieter Stuyvesant got that job as the last Dutch New Amsterdam boss.
        More details on my Dutch webpage at
        http://www.angelfire.com/vt/sneuper/FriezenVOC.htm

        Regards, Hans

        --- In Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Kelly Graham"
        <caellach@...> wrote:

        > Hello, all.
        >
        > I am searching for Douwe HARMSEN, who - with his wife Dirkje and 4
        children, including
        > a daughter Stytje Wiggerzen DOUWES (born 1617?) - migrated to the
        New World with the
        > Dutch West India Company on the ship "Bruynvis" (spelling?) in
        1628. Douwe was from
        > Friesland, and I have recently read from Leeuwarden.
        >
        > Are there any records that offer clues to Douwe and his family?
        When he was born? Who
        > were his parents? And, what about his wife?
        >
        > Any help offered will be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > Kelly Paul Graham.

      • betsyagravatt
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
          Dear Kelly
          The Douwes Egbert company makes excellent coffee !