Re: [Friesland-genealogy] Riem Family

  • Ernst-Jan Munnik
    Message 1 of 18 , May 4, 2007
      Hi Marianne and Tjerk,

      One of my own ancestors, Rigtstje Hendriks Riem (1819-1888), also originates
      from the Riem family of Harlingen. She possibly was the sister of Pieter
      Hendriks Riem, born about 1815, the grandfather of your great-grandfather.
      See my information below.

      Kind regards,

      Ernst-Jan Munnik

      Genealogy of Christiaan Riem

      I. Christiaan Riem, born in Buschwiller near Strasbourg in the small,
      German speaking Eastern part of France, died at see 1765.
      His son with an unnamed heathan woman from the West-African “Gold
      Coast” (the coastal area of Ghana):
      Pieter, see II.

      II. Pieter Christiaans Riem, born about 1758, baptised Harlingen
      (Lutheran church) 6 july 1766 (about 8 years old; witness: Aggie Pieter,
      from Sexbierum), died or burried Harlingen 29 september 1808 (50 years old,
      leaving his wife and four children behind).

      The baptismal record of 1766 states:
      “Pieter Riem, about 8 years old, brought here from the Gold Coast of Africa,
      his father was Christiaan Riem from Buscwijler near Strassburg, lutheran,
      who died the year before (= 1765) on a returning Dutch ship called “De
      Guinesche Velvaart" (= “The Guinean Prosperity”). The mother was a heathan
      who died about four years ago (= 1762) on the Guinean coast. Aggie Pieters
      from Sexbierum (= a village near Harlingen), bootsman (“boatsman”, a
      non-commissioned officer on a trade ship, in charge of the sailors and
      novices) on the above mentioned ship and witness to this baptism, and
      curator of the boy according to the last will and testament of the late
      father.”
      (Translated from the Dutch original on
      http://www.kleinekerkstraat.nl/frames.php3?cat=h&page=bewoners&lett=R :
      "Pieter Riem, ruim 8 jaar oud volgens gissinge, zijnde van de Goudkuste van
      Afrika herwaarts gebracht, de Vader was Christiaan Riem uit Buscwijler bij
      Strassburg en Lutherse zijnde 't jaar tevoren overleden op een herwaarts
      komend Hollands schip genaamt "De Guinesche Velvaart". De moeder was eene
      Heidinne op de kust van Guinée voor vier jaaren na gissinge overleden.
      Hebbende Aggie Pieters van Sexbierum en bootsman van 't voornoemde schip als
      Getuige van deze gedoopten geweest en als curator over den selven volgens
      Testament van den overleden Vader".)

      Pieter Christiaans Riem married Harlingen 25 april 1779 to Gerritje
      Lases, born Harlingen 1749 (source: her death certificate; her parents not
      mentioned there), in 1819 present as a witness at her daughter Hinke’s
      marriage, died Harlingen 2 april 1819, daughter of Lase N.N. and N.N.
      From this marriage:
      1. Hinke Pieters Riem, born Harlingen 2 november 1780, baptised
      Harlingen (Grote kerk) 21 november 1780, died before february 1786.
      2. Christiaan Pieters Riem, born Harlingen 7 march 1782, baptised
      Harlingen (Grote kerk) 26 march 1782, died after 29 september 1808.
      3. Hendrik Pieters Riem, born Harlingen 17 may 1784, see III.
      4. Hinke Pieters Riem, born Harlingen 22 february 1786, baptised
      Harlingen (Grote kerk) 14 march 1786, died before january 1788.
      5. Hinke Pieters Riem, born Harlingen 24 january 1788, baptised
      Harlingen (Grote kerk) 12 february 1788, no occupation (1819, 1833), died
      Harlingen 4 october 1833, married Harlingen 17 january 1819 to Karst Thomas’
      van der Meulen, born Harlingen 1796, pottery maker's man (1819), labourer
      (1833, 1834), peat porter (1848), died Harlingen 23 january 1848, son of
      Thomas Karstens and Rinske Simons; he remarried Sipkje Folkerts Bakker
      (widow of his brother-in-law Hendrik Pieters Riem).
      6. Hitje Pieters Riem, born Harlingen 12 july 1792, baptised Harlingen
      (Grote kerk) 1 july 1792.

      III. Hendrik Pieters Riem, born Harlingen 17 may 1784, baptised
      Harlingen (Westerkerk) 6 june 1784, labourer (1813, 1826), died Harlingen 18
      august 1826, married Harlingen 10 june 1813 to Sipkje Folkerts Bakker, born
      Harlingen 13 july 1785, baptised Harlingen (Grote kerk) 26 july 1785,
      maid-servant (1813), no occupation (1826, 1834, 1843, 1848, 1859), died
      Harlingen 26 december 1859, daughter of Folkert Jeens (or Jennes) [Bakker]
      en Rigtje Wytses; she remarried Karst Thomas’ van der Meulen (widower of her
      sister-in-law Hinke Pieters Riem).
      From this marriage:
      1. Pieter Hendriks Riem, born Harlingen 6 april 1814. Possibly
      identical to the Pieter Hendriks Riem mentioned on Tjerk Tigchelaar’s
      website, who was born about 1815 and married to Agnietje Piers van Arum, the
      grandparents of your great-grandfather Pieter, born 1862.
      2. Christiaan Hendriks Riem, born Harlingen 16 february 1816.
      3. Rigtstje Hendriks Riem, born Harlingen 8 august 1819, no occupation
      (1843, 1844, 1865), died Harlingen 28 june 1888, married Harlingen 21
      december 1843 Jacob Keijser, born Harlingen 29 november 1819, blacksmith’s
      assistant (1843), blacksmith (1844), died Harlingen 25 october 1860, son of
      Gerrit Gerrits Keyzer and Marijke Jacobs de Vries.

      From: "Marianne Campbell" <mcampbe0@...>
      To: Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Friesland-genealogy] Riem Family
      Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 15:14:09 -0400

      Hi Tjerk:
      You hit the nail right on the head. This is definetely my family. My
      grandfather was born July 3rd, 1896. I thank you so very much. My father is
      going to be flabbergasted when I tell him what you found out for me.
      Thanks so much and I am looking forward to your email after next Tuesday.
      When I was eighteen (more years than I would like to remember) I went to the
      Kermus in Leeuwarden and had a great time.

      Marianne Campbell, PMP
      Desktop Support & Communications
      Productivity & Support Services
      15th Floor, Metro Hall
      55 John Street
      Toronto, ON
      M5V 3C6
      (416) 338-1242
      mcampbe0@...

      >>>tjerk@... 5/3/2007 2:54 PM >>>

      >Sorry it is the last name my great grandfather's first name was Pieter Riem
      >and his son was Jacobus Riem.
      >Thanks,

      Hi Marianne,

      The only Jacobus Riem with a father, named Pieter was born in Harlingen July
      3d 1896. A short overview of his family:

      Pieter Riem married Hiltje Wever 12-20-1888 Harlingen
      Hiltje most probably born 1-25-1865 Harlingen, daughter of Jan Wever and
      Antje de Wit
      From this marriage
      Hendrik, born 6-29-1889 Harlingen
      Jan born 11-9-1890 Harlingen
      Johannes born 2-3-1893 Harlingen
      Johanna born 9-7-1894 Harlingen
      Jacobus born 7-3-1896 Harlingen your grandfather
      Hendrikus born 1-16-1898 Harlingen
      Pieter born 5-27-1899 Harlingen
      Antje born 10-3-1900 Harlingen

      Your great-grandfather most probably born 11-30-1862 in Harlingen was in
      that case a son of Hendrik Riem, born 6-2-1839 and Johanna Bader, born
      2-17-1838. They married in Harlingen 9-17-1863.

      His ancestors and relatives can be found at my website
      www.tjerktigchelaar.nl

      From the introduction page please follow the link to the Ti(g)chelaar
      family. In the left panel on that page you can find a lot or Riem relatives.
      I did some basic research on them because they are related by marriage to my
      Ti(g)chelaar relatives.

      Next Tuesday, when I will be in the archives in Leeuwarden, I will check
      whether your great-grandfather really was a son of the above mentioned
      Hendrik Riem and Johanna Bader.

      Truly yours,
      Tjerk Tigchelaar

      Probeer nu Live Search: de nieuwe zoekmachine van MSN http://www.live.nl
    • Tjerk Tigchelaar
      Message 2 of 18 , May 4, 2007
        Hi Marianne and Ernst-Jan

        > III. Hendrik Pieters Riem, born Harlingen 17 may 1784, baptised
        > Harlingen (Westerkerk) 6 june 1784, labourer (1813, 1826), died Harlingen
        > 18
        > august 1826, married Harlingen 10 june 1813 to Sipkje Folkerts Bakker,
        > born
        > Harlingen 13 july 1785, baptised Harlingen (Grote kerk) 26 july 1785,
        > maid-servant (1813), no occupation (1826, 1834, 1843, 1848, 1859), died
        > Harlingen 26 december 1859, daughter of Folkert Jeens (or Jennes) [Bakker]
        > en Rigtje Wytses; she remarried Karst Thomas' van der Meulen (widower of
        > her
        > sister-in-law Hinke Pieters Riem).
        > From this marriage:
        > 1. Pieter Hendriks Riem, born Harlingen 6 april 1814. Possibly
        > identical to the Pieter Hendriks Riem mentioned on Tjerk Tigchelaar's
        > website, who was born about 1815 and married to Agnietje Piers van Arum,
        > the
        > grandparents of your great-grandfather Pieter, born 1862.
        > 2. Christiaan Hendriks Riem, born Harlingen 16 february 1816.
        > 3. Rigtstje Hendriks Riem, born Harlingen 8 august 1819, no
        > occupation
        > (1843, 1844, 1865), died Harlingen 28 june 1888, married Harlingen 21
        > december 1843 Jacob Keijser, born Harlingen 29 november 1819, blacksmith's
        > assistant (1843), blacksmith (1844), died Harlingen 25 october 1860, son
        > of
        > Gerrit Gerrits Keyzer and Marijke Jacobs de Vries.

        Next Tuesday I will check whether Pieter Hendriks, mentioned on my website
        is identical to Pieter Hendriks, mentioned by Ernst-Jan although I am pretty
        sure of it. Anyhow, we want proof of that.

        Tjerk
      • Ernst-Jan Munnik
        Message 3 of 18 , May 4, 2007
          And there's even more information on this website:
          http://www.tjeerd-riem.eu/

          Greetings,

          Ernst-Jan

          From: "Ernst-Jan Munnik" <E_J_Munnik@...>
          To: Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 09:23:29 +0000

          Hi Marianne and Tjerk,

[...]

          From this marriage:
[...]

          From this marriage:

          From: "Marianne Campbell" <mcampbe0@...>
          To: Friesland-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 15:14:09 -0400

          Hi Tjerk:
          You hit the nail right on the head. This is definetely my family. My
          grandfather was born July 3rd, 1896. I thank you so very much. My father is
          going to be flabbergasted when I tell him what you found out for me.
          Thanks so much and I am looking forward to your email after next Tuesday.
          When I was eighteen (more years than I would like to remember) I went to the
          Kermus in Leeuwarden and had a great time.

          Marianne Campbell, PMP
          Desktop Support & Communications
          Productivity & Support Services
          15th Floor, Metro Hall
          55 John Street
          Toronto, ON
          M5V 3C6
          (416) 338-1242
          mcampbe0@...

          >>>tjerk@... 5/3/2007 2:54 PM >>>

          >Sorry it is the last name my great grandfather's first name was Pieter
          Riem
          >and his son was Jacobus Riem.
          >Thanks,

          Hi Marianne,

          The only Jacobus Riem with a father, named Pieter was born in Harlingen July
          3d 1896. A short overview of his family:

          Pieter Riem married Hiltje Wever 12-20-1888 Harlingen
          Hiltje most probably born 1-25-1865 Harlingen, daughter of Jan Wever and
          Antje de Wit
          From this marriage
          Hendrik, born 6-29-1889 Harlingen
          Jan born 11-9-1890 Harlingen
          Johannes born 2-3-1893 Harlingen
          Johanna born 9-7-1894 Harlingen
          Jacobus born 7-3-1896 Harlingen your grandfather
          Hendrikus born 1-16-1898 Harlingen
          Pieter born 5-27-1899 Harlingen
          Antje born 10-3-1900 Harlingen

          Your great-grandfather most probably born 11-30-1862 in Harlingen was in
          that case a son of Hendrik Riem, born 6-2-1839 and Johanna Bader, born
          2-17-1838. They married in Harlingen 9-17-1863.

          His ancestors and relatives can be found at my website
          www.tjerktigchelaar.nl

          From the introduction page please follow the link to the Ti(g)chelaar
          family. In the left panel on that page you can find a lot or Riem relatives.
          I did some basic research on them because they are related by marriage to my
          Ti(g)chelaar relatives.

          Next Tuesday, when I will be in the archives in Leeuwarden, I will check
          whether your great-grandfather really was a son of the above mentioned
          Hendrik Riem and Johanna Bader.

          Truly yours,
          Tjerk Tigchelaar

          Probeer nu Live Search: de nieuwe zoekmachine van MSN http://www.live.nl

          Probeer nu Live Search: de nieuwe zoekmachine van MSN http://www.live.nl
        • Marianne Campbell
          Message 4 of 18 , May 4, 2007
            Hi Baukje:
            No it does not have anything to do with publishing it is Information Technology. If I had any kind of book I would send it to the publishers of the Harry Potter books they seem to take risks.

            Marianne Campbell, PMP
            Desktop Support & Communications
            Productivity & Support Services
            15th Floor, Metro Hall
            55 John Street
            Toronto, ON
            M5V 3C6
            (416) 338-1242
            mcampbe0@...

            >>> betsyagravatt@... 5/3/2007 7:41 PM >>>

            Hi Marianne Campbell

            Can you tell me about your "Desktop Support & Communications"? Has it to d with publications? I have a history book written by my deceased husband and need to know how to go about it. Baukje Berendina Atema
            You hit the nail right on the head. This is definetely my family. My grandfather was born July 3rd, 1896. I thank you so very much. My father is going to be flabbergasted when I tell him what you found out for me.
            Thanks so much and I am looking forward to your email after next Tuesday. When I was eighteen (more years than I would like to remember) I went to the Kermus in Leeuwarden and had a great time.

            Marianne Campbell, PMP
            Desktop Support & Communications
            Productivity & Support Services
            15th Floor, Metro Hall
            55 John Street
            Toronto, ON
            M5V 3C6
            (416) 338-1242
            mcampbe0@...

            >>> tjerk@... 5/3/2007 2:54 PM >>>

            >Sorry it is the last name my great grandfather's first name was Pieter Riem
            >and his son was Jacobus Riem.
            >Thanks,

            Hi Marianne,

            The only Jacobus Riem with a father, named Pieter was born in Harlingen July
            3d 1896. A short overview of his family:

            Pieter Riem married Hiltje Wever 12-20-1888 Harlingen
            Hiltje most probably born 1-25-1865 Harlingen, daughter of Jan Wever and
            Antje de Wit
            From this marriage
            Hendrik, born 6-29-1889 Harlingen
            Jan born 11-9-1890 Harlingen
            Johannes born 2-3-1893 Harlingen
            Johanna born 9-7-1894 Harlingen
            Jacobus born 7-3-1896 Harlingen your grandfather
            Hendrikus born 1-16-1898 Harlingen
            Pieter born 5-27-1899 Harlingen
            Antje born 10-3-1900 Harlingen

            Your great-grandfather most probably born 11-30-1862 in Harlingen was in
            that case a son of Hendrik Riem, born 6-2-1839 and Johanna Bader, born
            2-17-1838. They married in Harlingen 9-17-1863.

            His ancestors and relatives can be found at my website
            www.tjerktigchelaar.nl

            From the introduction page please follow the link to the Ti(g)chelaar
            family. In the left panel on that page you can find a lot or Riem relatives.
            I did some basic research on them because they are related by marriage to my
            Ti(g)chelaar relatives.

            Next Tuesday, when I will be in the archives in Leeuwarden, I will check
            whether your great-grandfather really was a son of the above mentioned
            Hendrik Riem and Johanna Bader.

            Truly yours,
            Tjerk Tigchelaar

          • betsyagravatt
            Message 5 of 18 , May 4, 2007
              Bedankt ! My Grandson Reeves spent 4 yers at Gettysburg College studying Japanese language and culture with a minor in CHinese and "picked up" Korean on his own ... and now he is doing what you are doing Information Technology for the Merchant Marine Academy at Kingsport Ne York.....

              What a fascinating explosion of technology has happened becasue of the invention of Computers. Now if I could learn to utilize it fully ! Thanks for responding. Baukje Berendina Atema

              You hit the nail right on the head. This is definetely my family. My grandfather was born July 3rd, 1896. I thank you so very much. My father is going to be flabbergasted when I tell him what you found out for me.
              Thanks so much and I am looking forward to your email after next Tuesday. When I was eighteen (more years than I would like to remember) I went to the Kermus in Leeuwarden and had a great time.

              Marianne Campbell, PMP
              Desktop Support & Communications
              Productivity & Support Services
              15th Floor, Metro Hall
              55 John Street
              Toronto, ON
              M5V 3C6
              (416) 338-1242
              mcampbe0@...

              >>> tjerk@... 5/3/2007 2:54 PM >>>

              >Sorry it is the last name my great grandfather's first name was Pieter Riem
              >and his son was Jacobus Riem.
              >Thanks,

              Hi Marianne,

              The only Jacobus Riem with a father, named Pieter was born in Harlingen July
              3d 1896. A short overview of his family:

              Pieter Riem married Hiltje Wever 12-20-1888 Harlingen
              Hiltje most probably born 1-25-1865 Harlingen, daughter of Jan Wever and
              Antje de Wit
              From this marriage
              Hendrik, born 6-29-1889 Harlingen
              Jan born 11-9-1890 Harlingen
              Johannes born 2-3-1893 Harlingen
              Johanna born 9-7-1894 Harlingen
              Jacobus born 7-3-1896 Harlingen your grandfather
              Hendrikus born 1-16-1898 Harlingen
              Pieter born 5-27-1899 Harlingen
              Antje born 10-3-1900 Harlingen

              Your great-grandfather most probably born 11-30-1862 in Harlingen was in
              that case a son of Hendrik Riem, born 6-2-1839 and Johanna Bader, born
              2-17-1838. They married in Harlingen 9-17-1863.

              His ancestors and relatives can be found at my website
              www.tjerktigchelaar.nl

              From the introduction page please follow the link to the Ti(g)chelaar
              family. In the left panel on that page you can find a lot or Riem relatives.
              I did some basic research on them because they are related by marriage to my
              Ti(g)chelaar relatives.

              Next Tuesday, when I will be in the archives in Leeuwarden, I will check
              whether your great-grandfather really was a son of the above mentioned
              Hendrik Riem and Johanna Bader.

              Truly yours,
              Tjerk Tigchelaar

            • P. van Diemen
              Message 6 of 18 , May 4, 2007
                Baukje,

                If you want to publish a book -probably with low circulation- you may want
                to check http://www.lulu.com/
                They print books from electronic media at low numbers.

                Success,
                Philip van Diemen

                You hit the nail right on the head. This is definetely my family. My
                grandfather was born July 3rd, 1896. I thank you so very much. My father is
                going to be flabbergasted when I tell him what you found out for me.
                Thanks so much and I am looking forward to your email after next Tuesday.
                When I was eighteen (more years than I would like to remember) I went to the
                Kermus in Leeuwarden and had a great time.

                Marianne Campbell, PMP
                Desktop Support & Communications
                Productivity & Support Services
                15th Floor, Metro Hall
                55 John Street
                Toronto, ON
                M5V 3C6
                (416) 338-1242
                mcampbe0@...

                >>> tjerk@... 5/3/2007 2:54 PM >>>

                >Sorry it is the last name my great grandfather's first name was Pieter Riem

                >and his son was Jacobus Riem.
                >Thanks,

                Hi Marianne,

                The only Jacobus Riem with a father, named Pieter was born in Harlingen July

                3d 1896. A short overview of his family:

                Pieter Riem married Hiltje Wever 12-20-1888 Harlingen
                Hiltje most probably born 1-25-1865 Harlingen, daughter of Jan Wever and
                Antje de Wit
                From this marriage
                Hendrik, born 6-29-1889 Harlingen
                Jan born 11-9-1890 Harlingen
                Johannes born 2-3-1893 Harlingen
                Johanna born 9-7-1894 Harlingen
                Jacobus born 7-3-1896 Harlingen your grandfather
                Hendrikus born 1-16-1898 Harlingen
                Pieter born 5-27-1899 Harlingen
                Antje born 10-3-1900 Harlingen

                Your great-grandfather most probably born 11-30-1862 in Harlingen was in
                that case a son of Hendrik Riem, born 6-2-1839 and Johanna Bader, born
                2-17-1838. They married in Harlingen 9-17-1863.

                His ancestors and relatives can be found at my website
                www.tjerktigchelaar.nl

                From the introduction page please follow the link to the Ti(g)chelaar
                family. In the left panel on that page you can find a lot or Riem relatives.

                I did some basic research on them because they are related by marriage to my

                Ti(g)chelaar relatives.

                Next Tuesday, when I will be in the archives in Leeuwarden, I will check
                whether your great-grandfather really was a son of the above mentioned
                Hendrik Riem and Johanna Bader.

                Truly yours,
                Tjerk Tigchelaar

                Genealogy yn Fryslân: http://www.genealogy-yn-fryslan.tk/.

              • Tjerk Tigchelaar
                Message 7 of 18 , May 9, 2007
                  Hi Marianne,

                  Acoording to the marriage certificate of your great-grandfather he is indeed
                  a son of Hendrik Riem and Johanna Bader so the link to the data on my
                  website is confirmed.

                  Have a nice day,
                  Tjerk Tigchelaar

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 11, 2007
                    I just wanted to thank Tjerk for finding out about my Great-Grandfather's parents. I am going to do a family tree. My Papa finds this to be great. He said his father would have been amazed about this. Is there any more information about my Great-Grandmother Hiltje Wever born 1-25-1865 Harlingen when she died and her family. Does anyone know of a genealogy group in Limburg that is were I was born and I would like to check up on my Mama's family too. Also a couple of years ago someone in the Nederland contacted my Papa about a book about the Riem family, does this exist and if so does anyone know where I could get a copy.

                    Thanks,

                  • Cor
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 15, 2007
                      Hello Marianne.

                      In Tresoar in Leeuwarden I found:

                      ANSWER:
                      akte 21
                      Hiltje born 25 january 1865 in local authority Harlingen akte (document) 21.
                      Daughter from Jan Wever, old 35 year, porter and Antje de Wit.
                      They are living in Harlingen.

                      Jan Jacobs Wever deceased 13 april 1872 in local authority Harlingen akte
                      35.
                      Married with Antje de With.

                      Hiltjes brother:
                      Jan born 30 september 1867 in local authority Harlingen.
                      Married 9 may 1895 akte 20 Harlingen with Idske Balt ,
                      born 28 october 1875 in local authority Harlingen .
                      Daughter from Tjalling Balt and Popkje Wielinga.
                      Tjalling deceased 26 january 1879 in Harlingen.

                      Succes with this data , Cor.

                      Subject: [Friesland-genealogy] Riem Family

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 18, 2007
                        Hi Marianne,

                        This is the link to a Limburg genealogy group:

                        About the death of Hiltje Wever, this most probably is her deathcertificate:
                        Overlijdensakte Harlingen, 1909
                        Aangiftedatum 4 december 1909, akte nr. 142
                        Hiltje Wever, vrouw, overleden 3 december 1909
                        Oud 44 jaar, gehuwd

                        or:
                        Deathcertificate Harlingen
                        Notification given on December 4th 1909, certificate nr. 142
                        Hiltje Wever, female, died December 3d 1909
                        44 years of age, married

                        I could not find anything about a Riem boek, sorry.

                        Have a nice day,
                        Tjerk