What happened to Sybrig Jongbloed?

  • Dotty Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2005
      My great-grandmother, Sybrig Jongbloed, was born in Wymbritseradeel
      on December 1, 1849. She married my great-grandfather, Tjerk
      Esther, there on September 26, 1874. The couple had nine children,
      the eldest of whom, Bartele, was my grandfather. Wymbritseradeel
      records show that the entire family left the village of Hommerts in
      May of 1891 to emigrate to the United States. When the family
      arrived here, Tjerk had eight children and no wife. My grandfather
      told us that one of the children died on the ship. I'm quite sure
      this was Jan, the baby, who would have been about one year old. I
      know Sybrig died before they left, but I have found no data on her
      death in Friesland Province records. The family had originally
      booked passage on a ship that sank on a previous voyage, so they
      would have had to wait for passage on another vessel, and I have no
      idea if they waited at home before May of 1891, or if they lived for
      a time somewhere else. If the latter was the case, Sybrig may have
      died near or at their point of departure. I think they probably
      sailed from Amsterdam, as I have been told this was common for
      people from Friesland. I've found no emigration or immigration
      records for this family. Can someone help me access records that
      might help? My grandfather and his siblings said very little about
      their life in the Netherlands or their voyage, probably because
      there were many sad circumstances surrounding the trip. Coming in
      steerage was also very difficult. Any help you can provide will be
      most appreciated. Thank you!

      Dotty Smith