Re: Re: Diefstal van gegevens (Philip van Gelderen)

  • Trudy & Rod Bray
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2000
      Hi Rinske,

      I have seen the signatures of my forebears many times and have not had
      to go to the Netherlands to see them. They are available very cheaply at
      the nearest LDS family history centre, on films made of the original
      documents in Friesland.
      The reason there are so many mistakes in the pedigrees and Ancestral
      files is because many of these are submitted by people who cannot be
      bothered to do their own research. They cobble together whatever they
      can find without checking for accuracy and pass it on again.
      One of the most blatant examples that I've run into is that of Samuel
      Drake who went to the American Colonies with his brother and father,
      John, in the early 1600s. They lived at Windson CT but Samuel later
      moved to Fairfield CT. The Ancestral File has reams and reams of
      submitters who all agree that Samuel was born in 1585 in Fairfield CT!
      That would have been a fair trick! They've all copied the same mistake
      and passed it on as their work.

      People who take other people's work and pass it off as their own without
      acknowledgement or verifying for accuracy do other genealogists a
      disservice and add to the mistrust that already exists between people.

      I believe that as genealogists we have a responsibility to give credit
      where credit is due, to make sure our work is as accurate as we can make
      it and to extend to each other the courtesy we would wish to be shown
      ourselves.

      If a person finds a website with information that adds to their own
      genealogy then, irrespective of the legality, if the website carries a
      copyright it is a good indication that the website owner does not wish
      h/er information to be taken without permission. This alone would
      suggest to an aware person that the website owner should, at the very
      least, be contacted before the published information was transported to
      another website. It is called courtesy and decency.

      Trudy

      --
      'Click' to protect the rainforest: