Re: [Friesland-genealogy] Ras-aanduiding in de USA

  • James Van Dyk
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 22, 2004
      Oebele,

      During 1917-18 the US had a universal draft. In other words all men in certain age categories were required to register for the draft. Part of the miltary regulation was to identify the race of the individual who was drafted. The word " Caucasian " identifies those individuals who are classified as white. This is still an accepted terminology.

      The question of "why" may as simple as saying that the military was interested in maintaining segregated military units. This type of segregation lasted into the Second World War. It wasn't till the Korean War that full integration of Black troops was realised. I believe that racism and subsequent discrimination was part of the Black miltary experience.

      It is interesting to note that the US Census reports still asks one's race as it did in the most recent 2000 Census! Many governmental forms also still have a race designation. I usually hear that this is only for statistical purposes. In some cases this information may be used to fund specific programs that are targeted at specific minority groups.Race designation allows governmental agencies to track the degree of integration,employment in the work force, Scholastic accomplishments,etc.

      Please get back to me if you need more clarification. I can understand both Dutch and Friesian.
      Kind Regards,

      Yme Van Dyk

      Oebele Bijlsma <oebeleb@...> wrote:
      Ik zie bij diverse ex-Nederlanders en ex-Friezen, die staan ingeschreven in de "World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918", bij het ras de omschrijving: "Caucasian". Vind ik vreemd. Is hier ook een verklaring bekend?

      Oebele Bijlsma

      Genealogy yn Frysl�n: http://www.genealogy-yn-fryslan.tk/.

      Om uw abonnement te be�indigen stuurt u een (leeg) email-bericht naar:

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      James Y.Van Dyk
      5329 Silverstone NE
      Comstock Park,Michigan,49321